2nd order RC filter with two equal poles

In summary: If you have gain to spare, you can put matched pads, 10dB or so, between the poles.Rule of thumbIf you're cascading passive filtersdownstream one needs to have at least 10X the impedance of upstream one so it doesn't load it noticeably. More would be better, 30X or 100X.
Ry122
Is it possible to make a 2nd order CR LPF or HPF where the cut off frequencies for each pole are equal?

Here is a calculator for this system which includes the transfer function.http://sim.okawa-denshi.jp/en/CRCRkeisan.htm

I figured that I need to try to solve the denominator of the transfer function in this way and impose the restriction that both roots of S must be equal, but I'm not sure how to do that.

jgWR96S.jpg

Engineering news on Phys.org
In principle, you can set the poles equal.

Are you sure a passive filter will do the job? The source has low resistance and you won't have loading on the filter output? The filter shape doesn't matter much?

It's going to be implemented between two discrete BJT amplifier stages. It's a filter within an amplifier basically, so yeah there's not going to be a loss of signal.

The BJT input loads the filter output and changes the response.

Yeah I know. My output and input impedances will be adjusted to account for this.

Ry122 said:
My output and input impedances will be adjusted to account for this.
How will you adjust for loading when the filter equation assumes no load?

I'm beginning to think that two poles at the same positions isn't possible.
My reasoning is that for them to be the same, they're going to be a complex conjugate pair.

And for that to be true, if we look at the standard quadratic formula we see that
4ac needs to be greater than b^2

And using the transfer function I posted to obtain b,a, and c
I performed the following analysis at wolfram

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=4*(1/abcd)>((1/ac)+(1/bc)+(1/bd))^2

and you can see that some of the resistor and capacitor values end up needing to be negative

I wasn't referring to varying load. If the filter is to work into a fixed load, then that load needs to feature in the filter equation.

okay, so even though it's not possible to have two equal poles with the transfer function I posted, maybe it's possible if the load is taken into account. I will have to formulate that transfer function and check. Also, there's a different post above to the one I initially posted if you missed it.

Ry122 said:
Is it possible to make a 2nd order CR LPF or HPF where the cut off frequencies for each pole are equal?
A second-order high- or lowpass filter with a double-pole (two equal poles on the neg. real axis of the s-plane) is possible only if both filter blocks are separated by a buffer amplifier (no loading of the first stage by the second stage).
In this case, the pole quality factor will be 0.5.
In this case, the term R2C1 disappears in the denominator.
Any transistor-based buffer amplifier will do the job of buffering only approximately because of finite input and output impedances, unless you include these impedances in the calculation of the filter elements.

Last edited:
LvW said:
A second-order high- or lowpass filter with a double-pole (two equal poles on the neg. real axis of the s-plane) is possible only if both filter blocks are separated by a buffer amplifier (no loading of the first stage by the second stage).
In this case, the pole quality factor will be 0.5.
Any transistor-based buffer amplifier will do the job of buffering only approximately because of finite input and output impedances, unless you include these impedances in the calculation of the filter elements.

Yeah, I thought this was probably what I would have to opt towards doing, I just wanted to make sure.

If you have gain to spare, you can put matched pads, 10dB or so, between the poles.

Rule of thumb
If you're cascading passive filters
downstream one needs to have at least 10X the impedance of upstream one so it doesn't load it noticeably. More would be better, 30X or 100X.

upload_2016-5-17_1-41-6.png

Of course whatever is connected to "out" should be 10X higher yet.
That's why it's best to buffer. But you can get away with this approach if you don't need precision.

1. What is a 2nd order RC filter with two equal poles?

A 2nd order RC filter with two equal poles is an electronic circuit that is used to filter out specific frequencies from a signal. It consists of two resistors and two capacitors, and the two poles refer to the two points in the circuit where the capacitors are connected to the resistors.

2. How does a 2nd order RC filter with two equal poles work?

The two equal poles in the circuit act as a low-pass filter, meaning they allow low frequencies to pass through while attenuating higher frequencies. The resistors and capacitors also work together to create a phase shift, which further helps to filter out unwanted frequencies.

3. What are the advantages of using a 2nd order RC filter with two equal poles?

Compared to a 1st order RC filter, a 2nd order RC filter with two equal poles has a steeper roll-off rate, meaning it can more effectively filter out unwanted frequencies. It also has a flatter frequency response and can handle higher power levels.

4. What are some common applications for a 2nd order RC filter with two equal poles?

These types of filters are often used in audio equipment to remove noise or to shape the frequency response of a signal. They are also commonly used in power supplies to smooth out fluctuations in voltage.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using a 2nd order RC filter with two equal poles?

One limitation is that these filters have a finite bandwidth, meaning they can only effectively filter out a certain range of frequencies. Additionally, the precise values of the resistors and capacitors must be carefully chosen for the filter to work correctly, which can be challenging in some applications.