3.13 Compute the orders of the following groups:

• MHB
  • Thread starter karush
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Groups
In summary, the conversation discusses computing the orders of various groups, specifically $U(3), U(4), U(12)$ and $U(3), U(5), U(15)$. It also involves making a conjecture about the relationship between $|U(r)|, |U(s)|$, and $|U(rs)|$ based on the answers. The conversation also mentions the use of the Euler's totient function to find the orders of the groups and how the properties of this function can be applied to do so. Finally, there is a question about the orders of $U(12)$ and where the elements in the set {1,5,7,11} come from, as well as the concept
karush
Gold Member
MHB
\nmh{837}
Compute the orders of the following groups: $U(3), U(4), U(12)$ and $U(3), U(5), U(15)$.
On the basis of your answers, make a conjecture about the relationship among $|U(r)|, |U(s)|$, and $|U(rs)|$.

ok I still don't have a clear idea on how to do this $ax=1$
$U(3)=3$

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
karush said:
Compute the orders of the following groups: $U(3), U(4), U(12)$ and $U(3), U(5), U(15)$.
On the basis of your answers, make a conjecture about the relationship among $|U(r)|, |U(s)|$, and $|U(rs)|$.

ok I still don't have a clear idea on how to do this $ax=1$
$U(3)=3$

If I'm not mistaken, the order of $U(n)$ is $\varphi(n)$, which is the Euler's totient function. If $n$ is prime, then $\varphi(n) = n-1$. If $p$ is prime and $n=p^k$, then $\varphi(n) = p^{k-1}(p-1)$. Also, if $\gcd(m,n)=1$, $\varphi(mn) = \varphi(m)\varphi(n)$. Using these properties of $\varphi(n)$, you should be able to find the orders. I leave it to you to find the orders of the groups and make a conjecture about how $|U(rs)|$, $|U(r)|$ and $|U(s)|$ are related.

I hope this helps!

View attachment 8397

ok I found this for u(12)
where does {1,5,7,11} come from? I see that 1+11=12 and 5+7=12
also "every element of U(12) has order of 1 or 2" where does 2 come from

also from this does it mean that
U(3)={1,2} and u(5)={1,4}

Attachments

• 12.PNG
    12.PNG
    6.6 KB · Views: 104
https://dl.orangedox.com/GXEVNm73NxaGC9F7Cy

SSCwt.png

1. What are the orders of groups in mathematics?

The order of a group is the number of elements in the group. It is also known as the cardinality or size of the group. It is denoted by |G|, where G is the group.

2. How do you compute the order of a group?

To compute the order of a group, you need to count the number of elements in the group. This can be done by listing out all the elements in the group and counting them, or by using mathematical properties of the group to simplify the calculation.

3. What is the significance of computing the orders of groups?

The order of a group is an important property as it tells us the size of the group and gives us information about the structure and properties of the group. It also helps in solving problems and making predictions in various fields of mathematics and science.

4. Can the order of a group be infinite?

Yes, the order of a group can be infinite. In fact, there are many groups with infinite order, such as the group of real numbers under addition or the group of non-zero real numbers under multiplication.

5. What is the order of a trivial group?

A trivial group is a group with only one element, the identity element. The order of a trivial group is therefore 1, as it only has one element. This is the smallest possible order for a group.