3 concentric conducting spheres, the outer one connected to ground

In summary, the conversation discussed the problem of three concentric conductor spheres with electrical charges and radii, and finding the induced charges and equations of the electric field and potential. It was mentioned that the ground is considered to have zero potential, and that the field outside R5 must be zero. This implies that the charge density on surface 5, ##\sigma_5##, must also be zero. Hints were given to consider the relationship between ##\sigma_2## and ##\sigma_1##, and to determine the field outside R5 in order to solve for ##\sigma_5##.
Sokolov
Homework Statement
Three concentric conductor spheres, the outer of them connected to ground, have electrical charges[itex]Q_A[/itex], [itex]Q_B[/itex] and [itex]Q_C[/itex], and radii[itex]R_1[/itex], [itex]R_2[/itex], [itex]R_3[/itex], [itex]R_4[/itex] and[itex]R_5[/itex], from the inner to the outer. Find the induced charges and the equations of the electric field and the potential of the system.
Relevant Equations
[tex] \oint \vec E\cdot d\vec S =\frac{q}{\epsilon_0}[/tex]
Esferas.png

What would the fact that the fifth surface is connected to the ground imply: that [itex]V(r=R_5)=0[/itex] or that [itex]\sigma _5=0[/itex]?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Sokolov, :welcome: !

Ground is considered ##V=0##.
Perhaps not extremely interesting for part two, since ##E## is a derivative.

Likes Sokolov
Sokolov said:
Homework Statement:: Three concentric conductor spheres, the outer of them connected to ground, have electrical charges[itex]Q_A[/itex], [itex]Q_B[/itex] and [itex]Q_C[/itex], and radii[itex]R_1[/itex], [itex]R_2[/itex], [itex]R_3[/itex], [itex]R_4[/itex] and[itex]R_5[/itex], from the inner to the outer. Find the induced charges and the equations of the electric field and the potential of the system.
Relevant Equations:: [tex] \oint \vec E\cdot d\vec S =\frac{q}{\epsilon_0}[/tex]

View attachment 258000
What would the fact that the fifth surface is connected to the ground imply: that [itex]V(r=R_5)=0[/itex] or that [itex]\sigma _5=0[/itex]?
Couple of hints to add to BvU's:
1. what can you say about ##\sigma_2 ## vs. ##\sigma_1 ##? Etc?
2. What must be the field outside R5? What does that imply for ## \sigma_5 ## assuming you've worked out the other sigmas?

P.S. ## \sigma_i ## means charge density on surface i.

Likes Sokolov
BvU said:
Hello Sokolov, :welcome: !

Ground is considered ##V=0##.
Perhaps not extremely interesting for part two, since ##E## is a derivative.

Hi BvU, thanks for the answer! It was just what I needed to know in order to be able to solve the problem.

rude man said:
Couple of hints to add to BvU's:
1. what can you say about ##\sigma_2 ## vs. ##\sigma_1 ##? Etc?
2. What must be the field outside R5? What does that imply for ## \sigma_5 ## assuming you've worked out the other sigmas?

P.S. ## \sigma_i ## means charge density on surface i.

Thanks rude man! With your hints and BvU's answer I think that I have been able to solve the problem correctly :) .

1. What is a concentric conducting sphere?

A concentric conducting sphere is a set of three spheres that are placed inside one another, with the outer sphere being the largest and the inner sphere being the smallest. The spheres are made of conductive materials, such as metal, and are used in electrical and electromagnetic experiments.

2. What does it mean for the outer sphere to be connected to ground?

When the outer sphere is connected to ground, it means that it is connected to a large conducting body, such as the Earth, that has an infinite capacity to absorb or supply electric charge. This creates a neutralizing effect on the outer sphere, making it an ideal reference point for measuring electrical potential in the system.

3. How does the connection to ground affect the inner spheres?

The connection to ground has no direct effect on the inner spheres. However, it does create an electric field between the outer and inner spheres, with the outer sphere acting as the source of the field and the inner spheres experiencing the effects of the field.

4. What is the purpose of using 3 concentric conducting spheres?

The use of 3 concentric conducting spheres allows for the study of electric fields and potential in a controlled and measurable way. By varying the charge on the outer sphere and measuring the potential on the inner spheres, scientists can gather valuable data and insights into the behavior of electric fields.

5. How is this setup relevant in real-world applications?

The concept of concentric conducting spheres is relevant in various real-world applications, such as in electronic devices, power transmission systems, and lightning protection systems. Understanding the behavior of electric fields in this setup is crucial in designing and optimizing these systems for efficiency and safety.