Conducting cable surrounded by two cylindrical shells

In summary: Gaussian surface with radius r, we can find the electric field of a point charge ##Q## at its center, and then use superposition to find the electric field due to all the point charges on the shell. Alternatively, we can use the method of images and consider the shell as an infinite plane of charge with a point charge at its center. Either way, the result is the same. Overall, the key is to correctly apply Gauss's law and understand the concept of superposition to find the electric field due to nested conducting shells. In summary, the correct expression for the electric field in this problem is given by ##E(r)=\frac{\lambda}{2\pi\varepsilon_0 r}## for ##R_1
lorenz0
Homework Statement
Consider a long conducting cylinder, of radius ##R_1##. It is surrounded by two conducting cylindrical shells, the first one with internal radius ##R_2## and external radius ##R_3## and the second one with internal radius ##R_4## and external radius ##R_5##. If we put a charge density ##+\lambda## on the conducting inner cylinder of radius ##R_1## the first shell at ##R_2## gets a charge density ##-\lambda##, at ##R_3## it gets ##+\lambda## and the second shell at ##R_4## gets a charge density ##-\lambda## at ##R_4## and ##+\lambda## at ##R_5##.
(a) Knowing that the inner cylinder and the outermost shell are mantained at a known potential difference ##\Delta V##, find out the value of ##\lambda## (assuming the various radii are known.)

(b) Now the outermost shell is connected to the ground. What is the value of ##V(r>-R_5)-V(r_{middle})## where ##R_2<r_{middle}<R_3##?
Relevant Equations
##V_A-V_B=-\int_{A}^{B}\vec{E}\cdot d\vec{l}##, ##\vec{E}=\frac{\lambda}{\varepsilon_0}\hat{n}##
What I have done:

(a) If we start at ##R_5## then we have ##\Delta V=-\int_{R_5}^{R_1}\vec{E}\cdot d\vec{l}=-(\int_{R_5}^{R_4}\vec{0}\cdot d\vec{l}+\int_{R_4}^{R_3}\frac{\lambda}{\varepsilon_0}dl+\int_{R_3}^{R_2}\vec{0}\cdot d\vec{l}+\int_{R_2}^{R_1}\frac{\lambda}{\varepsilon_0}dl=-\lambda( \frac{\lambda}{\varepsilon_0}(R_3-R_4) +\frac{\lambda}{\varepsilon_0}(R_1-R_2))=\frac{\lambda}{\varepsilon_0}(R_4-R_3+R_2-R_1).##

(b) ##V(r>R_5)-V(r_{middle})=-\int_{r}^{r_{m}}\vec{E}\cdot d\vec{l}=-(\int_{R_5}^{R_4}\frac{\lambda}{\varepsilon_0}dl+\int_{R_3}^{r_m}\frac{\lambda}{\varepsilon_0}dl)=-\left( \frac{\lambda}{\varepsilon_0}(R_4-R_5)+\frac{\lambda}{\varepsilon_0}(r_m-R_3)\right)=\frac{\lambda}{\varepsilon_0}\left(R_5-R_4+R_3-r_{middle}\right)##.

Is this correct? I would be grateful for some feedback regarding my solution and also for advice about how to tackle these kind of problems with nested conducting shells. Thanks.

Attachments

• problem_shells.png
    problem_shells.png
    62 KB · Views: 50
Physics news on Phys.org
Your method of doing a line integral is generally correct. It's the implementation that troubles me. Most importantly, where did you get that the electric is ##\vec{E}=\frac{\lambda}{\varepsilon_0}\hat{n}##? My first recommendation for tackling problems of this kind is to use Gauss's law to find the field in all regions of interest. Do that and start over.

Likes lorenz0
kuruman said:
Your method of doing a line integral is generally correct. It's the implementation that troubles me. Most importantly, where did you get that the electric is ##\vec{E}=\frac{\lambda}{\varepsilon_0}\hat{n}##? My first recommendation for tackling problems of this kind is to use Gauss's law to find the field in all regions of interest. Do that and start over.
Thanks for your reply. Following your advice, by considering each time a coaxial cylindrical surface, I get that ##\vec{E}=\begin{cases}\frac{\lambda R_1}{\varepsilon_0 r}\hat{n} & R_1 <r<R_2\\ \frac{\lambda R_3}{\varepsilon_0 r}\hat{n} & R_3<r<R_4\\ \frac{\lambda R_5}{\varepsilon_0 r}\hat{n} & r>R_5\\ \end{cases}## so for part (a): ##\Delta V=-\left( \int_{R_4}^{R_3}\frac{\lambda R_3}{\varepsilon_0 r} dr +\int_{R_2}^{R_1}\frac{\lambda R_1}{\varepsilon_0 r} dr \right)=\frac{\lambda}{\varepsilon_0}\left( R_3\ln(\frac{R_4}{R_3})+R_1\ln(\frac{R_2}{R_1})) \right)## and for part (b): ##V(r>R_5)-V(r_{middle})=-\left( \int_{R_4}^{R_3}\frac{\lambda R_3}{\varepsilon_0 r}dr+\int_{R_3}^{r_m}0 dr\right)=\frac{\lambda R_3}{\varepsilon_0}\ln(\frac{R_4}{R_3}).##
Is my reasoning correct? Thanks.

Last edited:
lorenz0 said:
Thanks for your reply. Following your advice, by considering each time a coaxial cylindrical surface, I get that ##\vec{E}=\begin{cases}\frac{\lambda R_1}{\varepsilon_0 r}\hat{n} & R_1 <r<R_2\\ \frac{\lambda R_3}{\varepsilon_0 r}\hat{n} & R_3<r<R_4\\ \frac{\lambda R_5}{\varepsilon_0 r}\hat{n} & r>R_5\\ \end{cases}## so for part (a): ##\Delta V=-\left( \int_{R_4}^{R_3}\frac{\lambda R_3}{\varepsilon_0 r} dr +\int_{R_2}^{R_1}\frac{\lambda R_1}{\varepsilon_0 r} dr \right)=\frac{\lambda}{\varepsilon_0}\left( R_3\ln(\frac{R_4}{R_3})+R_1\ln(\frac{R_2}{R_1})) \right)## and for part (b): ##V(r>R_5)-V(r_{middle})=-\left( \int_{R_4}^{R_3}\frac{\lambda R_3}{\varepsilon_0 r}dr+\int_{R_3}^{r_m}0 dr\right)=\frac{\lambda R_3}{\varepsilon_0}\ln(\frac{R_4}{R_3}).##
Is my reasoning correct? Thanks.
The expression for the electric field is still incorrect. How do you figure the enclosed charge?

Likes lorenz0
kuruman said:
The expression for the electric field is still incorrect. How do you figure the enclosed charge?
Ah, I see, when considering the Gaussian surface I didn't account for all the charges inside it; ##E(r)=\begin{cases}\frac{\lambda R_1}{\varepsilon_0 r} & R_1<r<R_2\\ \frac{\lambda (R_1-R_2+R_3)}{\varepsilon_0 r} & R_3<r<R_4\\ \frac{\lambda(R_1-R_2+R_3-R_4+R_5)}{\varepsilon_0 r} & r>R_5\end{cases}.##

Last edited:
Still not right. You are convinced that the magnitude of the electric field from a conducting cylinder of radius ##R_1##, bearing linear charge density ##\lambda##, is ##E=\frac{\lambda R_1}{\epsilon_0 r}##. I am not convinced that you are writing down the correct expression. Please use Gauss's law to convince me that it is correct or convince yourself that it is incorrect and find the correct expression. This applies to all the expressions in all regions.

As an aside, your equations in post #5 have a vector quantity ##\vec E(r)## on the left-hand side and scalar quantities on the right. You need to be consistent to avoid trouble.

kuruman said:
Still not right. You are convinced that the magnitude of the electric field from a conducting cylinder of radius ##R_1##, bearing linear charge density ##\lambda##, is ##E=\frac{\lambda R_1}{\epsilon_0 r}##. I am not convinced that you are writing down the correct expression. Please use Gauss's law to convince me that it is correct or convince yourself that it is incorrect and find the correct expression. This applies to all the expressions in all regions.

As an aside, your equations in post #5 have a vector quantity ##\vec E(r)## on the left-hand side and scalar quantities on the right. You need to be consistent to avoid trouble.
I mistook ##\lambda## for the **surface** charge density on the cylinder (so I had an additional ##2\pi R_i## factor on the right side of Gauss Law)!
##E(r)=\frac{\lambda}{2\pi\varepsilon_0 r}## for ##R_1<r<R_2## or ##R_3<r<R_4## or ##r>R_5## since if we consider a coaxial cylindrical Gaussian surface we have ##E(r)\cdot 2\pi r L=\frac{\lambda L}{\varepsilon_0}## which implies ##E(r)=\frac{\lambda}{2\pi\varepsilon_0 r}.##

Last edited:
Likes kuruman
I think you now have all the ingredients to do this right.

Likes lorenz0 and bob012345

What is a conducting cable surrounded by two cylindrical shells?

A conducting cable surrounded by two cylindrical shells is a type of electrical cable that has two layers of cylindrical shells made of conductive material surrounding a central conducting wire. This design is used to protect the central wire from external interference and to provide additional insulation.

How does a conducting cable surrounded by two cylindrical shells work?

The two cylindrical shells act as a Faraday cage, which means they block external electric fields and prevent them from interfering with the central wire. The shells also provide additional insulation, reducing the risk of electrical shocks or short circuits.

What are the benefits of using a conducting cable surrounded by two cylindrical shells?

The main benefit of using this type of cable is that it provides superior protection against external interference, making it ideal for use in high-risk environments or sensitive electronic equipment. It also offers better insulation and can handle higher voltages compared to traditional cables.

What are some common applications of conducting cable surrounded by two cylindrical shells?

This type of cable is commonly used in industries such as telecommunications, aerospace, and military, where protection against external interference is crucial. It is also used in high-voltage power transmission and distribution systems, as well as in medical equipment and scientific research.

How is a conducting cable surrounded by two cylindrical shells different from other types of cables?

The main difference is the presence of two cylindrical shells, which provide additional protection and insulation compared to traditional cables. This design also allows for better control of electromagnetic interference, making it a preferred choice in certain applications.