3 Examples of jobs related to the interference of light

In summary, the question asks for three careers that are in some way related to interference of light. Two of the careers are Electrical Engineering and Optometry, while the third is Optical Physics. Electrical Engineering would be a good place to start, as it involves the use of light frequencies. Optometry might also be a good place to start, as it is related to vision. Optical Physics could be a good place to finish, as it involves the interference of light.
LionLieOn

Homework Statement

Find 3 careers that are in some way related to the interference of light. Give a brief description of each career.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My examples are X-ray Technician, Photonics Engineering and Optical Physics.

My question is, is optical physicist/physics and actual career? I'm not to sure as it sounds more like a course/class than a career (I don't mean to sound offensive, I'm just uneducated in the world of physics careers. I hope you can understand.)

Physics news on Phys.org
LionLieOn said:

Homework Statement

Find 3 careers that are in some way related to the interference of light. Give a brief description of each career.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My examples are X-ray Technician, Photonics Engineering and Optical Physics.

My question is, is optical physicist/physics and actual career? I'm not to sure as it sounds more like a course/class than a career (I don't mean to sound offensive, I'm just uneducated in the world of physics careers. I hope you can understand.)
Optical physicist is certainly a career, but your 3 answers don't seem right to me.

The question asks specifically about interference of light, not just light in general. What technologies use the interference of two light (or other EM) beams? I can think of a few. Think of the technologies first, and then you can figure out what careers/jobs involve their use. :smile:

berkeman said:
Optical physicist is certainly a career, but your 3 answers don't seem right to me.

The question asks specifically about interference of light, not just light in general. What technologies use the interference of two light (or other EM) beams? I can think of a few. Think of the technologies first, and then you can figure out what careers/jobs involve their use. :smile:

Ohh you're right!

Hmmm can you clarify what EM stands for? I have an idea what it might stand for but I just want to make sure (Electro magnetic? )

What do you think about Electrical Engineering, Optometry and Ophthalmology?

LionLieOn said:
Ohh you're right!

Hmmm can you clarify what EM stands for? I have an idea what it might stand for but I just want to make sure (Electro magnetic? )

What do you think about Electrical Engineering, Optometry and Ophthalmology?
Yes, EM just means electromagnetic. Although re-reading your OP, it does appear that they want to constrain it to light frequencies, and not microwaves, for example.

The careers you list may indeed work with the interference of light, but they are way to broad. I doubt that you will have your answer marked as correct if you post such broad career categories.
berkeman said:
What technologies use the interference of two light (or other EM) beams? I can think of a few.
Start by answering this question. What technologies involve the interference of light? You could even try a Google Images search on Interference of Light to see if that helps you to get started... :smile:

berkeman said:
You could even try a Google Images search on Interference of Light to see if that helps you to get started...
And then what other search terms should you add into find instruments that use the interference of light? :smile:

Do you think about Holography, Photography and Lighting engineers?

LionLieOn said:
Holography
That's one! (not so much the other two) But Holography is an application that uses the interference of light. What career might use Holography?

berkeman said:
That's one! (not so much the other two) But Holography is an application that uses the interference of light. What career might use Holography?

Hmmm wouldn't banks use holography to prevent counterfeiting money I would put banks

CD/DVD use holography to play the songs/ movies
Game consoles would be another one too but I guess that would fit along side CD/DVDs

So to sum it up, Mints/Banks and CD/DVD/ Video game industry

LionLieOn said:
Hmmm wouldn't banks use holography to prevent counterfeiting money I would put banks
That sounds like a good example of a career that uses light interference. :smile:
LionLieOn said:
CD/DVD use holography to play the songs/ movies
I don't think that is true, but I could be missing something.

What other light interference applications did you find beyond Holography? There are some pretty cool ones that could earn you extra points if you can find them...

berkeman said:
That sounds like a good example of a career that uses light interference. :smile:

I don't think that is true, but I could be missing something.

What other light interference applications did you find beyond Holography? There are some pretty cool ones that could earn you extra points if you can find them...

Hmm would everyday stores count? I mean bar code scanners use lasers to scan the bar codes of items.

I think this is a good one, I thought of it when I thought of the bank- counter fit money,

Home land security-the creation of passports. We can't have counterfeit passports going around as that would cause a lot of danger.

LionLieOn said:
Hmm would everyday stores count? I mean bar code scanners use lasers to scan the bar codes of items.

I think this is a good one, I thought of it when I thought of the bank- counter fit money,
AFAIK, barcode scanners do not use interference.
LionLieOn said:
Home land security-the creation of passports. We can't have counterfeit passports going around as that would cause a lot of danger.
Again, I would look for other applications beyond holography. There are a number of other applications of light interference that are not holography.

What did you find in your Google Images search of Interference of Light and its uses in Instruments?

berkeman said:
AFAIK, barcode scanners do not use interference.

Again, I would look for other applications beyond holography. There are a number of other applications of light interference that are not holography.

What did you find in your Google Images search of Interference of Light and its uses in Instruments?

I got a lot of "Light source, double slit screen etcetc" images, a camera lens, and a polarized light microscope

LionLieOn said:
polarized light microscope
That's a good 2nd application. What careers would use this instrument?

berkeman said:
That's a good 2nd application. What careers would use this instrument?
Ahh forensic scientists!

LionLieOn said:
Ahh forensic scientists!
Interesting, I did not know that. :smile:

berkeman said:
Interesting, I did not know that. :smile:

Haha neither did I until today.

So I guess to sum things up, Holography, Forensic Science,

Should I add in the Bank/Mints as my 3rd example?

What are some examples of jobs related to the interference of light?

Some examples of jobs related to the interference of light include: optical engineer, laser scientist, photonics researcher, optical physicist, and optical technician.

What is an optical engineer?

An optical engineer is a professional who designs and develops systems and devices that manipulate and control light for various applications, such as in telecommunications, medical imaging, and consumer electronics.

What does a laser scientist do?

A laser scientist conducts research and experiments to understand and utilize the properties of laser light, which can be used in a wide range of industries including medicine, manufacturing, and defense.

What is the role of a photonics researcher?

A photonics researcher studies the properties and behaviors of light and its interaction with matter, with the goal of developing new technologies and applications in fields such as telecommunications, information technology, and renewable energy.

What skills are needed to become an optical technician?

To become an optical technician, one needs strong technical skills in optics and light manipulation, as well as knowledge of various tools and equipment used in the field. Good communication and problem-solving skills are also important for working in a team and troubleshooting issues with optical systems.