3 phase switch relactance motor

In summary, the conversation is about a project involving controlling a 3 phase switch reluctance motor using power electronics. The person has chosen 3 MOSFETs, 2 auto couplers, and 2 resistors for the project. They are wondering if there are any other devices needed to solder to the PCB board and what the circuit diagram would look like for testing. They have been told to do the circuit diagram as part of a group project and will be using software simulation to design the driving signals for the motor. The other person in the conversation mentions that typically more than 3 switches are needed for controlling a 3 phase motor and provides a link for reference. The final response is a confirmation that the MOSFETs will act
Kasim
Hi

Im doing a project to control a 3 phase switch relactance motor using power electronics. I have choosen 3 mosfets, 2 auto couplers and 2 resistors.

1. Would there be any other devices I need ( to solder to pcb board).
2. What would the circuit digaram look like so I can solder this and test it.

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hello Kasim - welcome.

Hove you done any research on three phase switched reluctance motors? Typically you will not control a three phase with 3 switch configuration (MOSFETs) - probably needs at least 4 but 6 Sw and 6 Diode set up is most common.

http://www.freescale.com/files/product/doc/AN1932.pdf

Thanks for the reply.

It is group work and I have been told to do the circuit diagram. I think I've mis-writen the question previously asked.

Basically we will be using a software simulation to design the driving signals to the 3 phase srm. I am guessing the mosfets are just going to act as switches so like in the link you have provided will only switch phase a,b or c at any given time when a current is applied.

Does this make sense now ? If so how would the circuit diagram look.

Thanks again

Yes the MOSFETs are switches - but you did not look at the AP note I linked to.

Ok thanks il look at that

1. What is a 3 phase switch reluctance motor?

A 3 phase switch reluctance motor is a type of electric motor that uses the principle of reluctance to generate torque. It has a stator with three phase windings and a rotor with salient poles. The rotor is made of a ferromagnetic material and has no windings, making it a simple and robust motor.

2. How does a 3 phase switch reluctance motor work?

The motor works by attracting the rotor's salient poles to the stator's energized windings, creating a magnetic field that pulls the rotor towards it. As the rotor moves, the stator windings are sequentially energized, creating a rotating magnetic field that causes the rotor to rotate.

3. What are the advantages of a 3 phase switch reluctance motor?

Some advantages of this type of motor include high efficiency, low maintenance, and simple construction. It also has a high power-to-weight ratio and can operate at variable speeds. Additionally, it does not require permanent magnets, making it a more cost-effective option.

4. What are the applications of a 3 phase switch reluctance motor?

These motors are commonly used in industrial and commercial applications, such as in pumps, compressors, conveyor systems, and machine tools. They are also used in electric vehicles and as generators in wind turbines.

5. Are there any limitations to using a 3 phase switch reluctance motor?

One limitation is that these motors can produce significant vibrations and noise, which may require additional measures to reduce. They also have lower starting torque compared to other types of motors, making them less suitable for applications that require high starting torque.