37 Genes Related to Synesthesia Identified

• Thread starter BillTre
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Genes
In summary, synesthesia is a condition where a normal sensory input elicits a sensation normally associated with a different sensory modality. A study comparing protein coding genes in synesthetes and non-synesthetes has identified 37 genes associated with synesthesia, several of which are involved in neuronal development. This was done through whole-exome sequencing in three families with a common occurrence of synesthesia. However, it is noted that there may be a role for changes in non-coding DNA sequences as well.
BillTre
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Synesthesia is when a normal sensory input elicits sensation normally associated with a different sensory modality, for example seeing certain colors when hearing certain sounds.
I became interested in this years ago when I read "The mind of a mnemonist" by AR Luria, which described a synesthete with a photographic memory..
Unusual neuronal connections are usually thought to underlie this.
Here is a Science mag news story about a study comparing protein coding genes in synesthetes vs. non-synesthetes as lead to identifying 37 genes associated with synesthesia. Several of these genes are accosiated with neuronal development.

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
Here's a link to the scientific publication:
Tilot et al. (2018) Rare variants in axonogenesis genes connect three families with sound–color synesthesia. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA Published online ahead of print, March 5, 2018. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.1715492115

From the Science magazine news story:
In the new work, a team led by neuroscientist Simon Fisher at the Max Planck Institute for Psycholinguistics in Nijmegen, the Netherlands, decided to take a slightly different tack. Using a gene-sequencing technique known as whole-exome sequencing that targets only the DNA that encodes proteins, the researchers cataloged virtually every significant DNA variant in three families in which the condition is common.

I take issue with the author of the Science magazine piece saying that cataloging all protein-coding variants captures all significant DNA variant. There is much more functional non-coding DNA than protein coding DNA in the human genome. Researchers focus on the exome because it's cheaper to sequence the only the 1% of the human genome that codes for protein and because we understand better how mutations in protein coding sequences will affect their function. However, I'd be willing to bet that changes in non-coding DNA sequences also play a role. Exome sequencing strikes me as the drunkard looking for his car keys only under the lamp post (i.e. the streetlight effect).

Likes jim mcnamara and BillTre

1. What is synesthesia?

Synesthesia is a neurological phenomenon in which stimulation of one sensory or cognitive pathway leads to automatic, involuntary experiences in a second sensory or cognitive pathway. This can result in individuals perceiving one sense (such as sight) in response to another sense (such as hearing).

2. How many genes are related to synesthesia?

37 genes have been identified as being potentially related to synesthesia. However, it is important to note that synesthesia is a complex condition and these genes may not fully explain the phenomenon.

3. How were these genes identified?

The genes were identified through a combination of genetic studies, brain imaging, and behavioral studies. Researchers looked for patterns of genes and brain activity in individuals with synesthesia compared to those without it.

4. What is the significance of identifying these genes?

Identifying these genes can help us better understand the biological basis of synesthesia and potentially lead to more effective treatments in the future. It also sheds light on the complex interplay between genes and environment in the development of this condition.

5. Can anyone have synesthesia?

While anyone can experience synesthesia, it is estimated that only about 4% of the population has this condition. It is more commonly found in women and individuals with a family history of synesthesia.