3D electrical discharge creation (Zap Energy's Z-pinch)

In summary, Zap Energy is trying to create a fusion reactor by using an inertial confinement pinch with an electrical discharge. The approach is similar to what the Sandia labs are doing, only they use a metal liner as their imploding piston. The pulse or transient scheme is to use I(z) x B(θ), to achieve radial compression very quickly.
artis
This is less of a nuclear physics question and more of an EE one, but I think this is the right place for it.

There is a startup called Zap Energy and their approach to fusion is to create a inertial confinement pinch with an electrical discharge.
This is a bit similar to what the Sandia labs are doing only they use a metal liner as their imploding piston.

Now as you can see from the diagram attached below, the approach is to use a cylindrical volume with a central electrode and the outer cylinder wall as the second electrode. Due to a high PD across the two electrode a discharge forms and due to B field the discharge is driven along until it moves axially inwards from all sides.
The thing that I can't believe is how can one make the electrical discharge symmetrical from all sides. One has to create a sheet/plane/film like discharge that is 3D and fast moving without the discharge to collapse into a single rod/lighting like discharge, how can one do this?
Electrical discharges from what I know are fundamentally unstable, or is it that the current is so large that the discharge has to be film like as the large current would be too large for a rod like discharge?

2-Figure2-1.png

Engineering news on Phys.org
I don't believe no one has any insight on this

artis said:
Electrical discharges from what I know are fundamentally unstable,
Hence a pulse or transient scheme.

I expect the intent is to use I(z) x B(θ), to achieve radial compression very quickly, if I'm ready that right. So, a type of pinch.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinch_(plasma_physics)

One approach to solving the stability problems seen in pinch machines was the concept of "fast pinch". In this approach, the electrical current that generated the pinch was applied in a single brief burst. The burst was too brief to cause the entire plasma to collapse, instead only the outer layers were compressed, and so rapidly that a shock wave formed. The goal was to use this shock wave to compress the plasma instead of the normal pinch that attempted to collapse the entire plasma column.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theta_pinch
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Z-pinch

I'd have to read up on their concept.

What is 3D electrical discharge creation?

3D electrical discharge creation, also known as Z-pinch, is a process in which a high amount of electrical current is passed through a gas or plasma, creating a highly compressed and intense magnetic field. This can result in the fusion of atoms and the production of high-energy particles.

What is the purpose of creating a Z-pinch?

The main purpose of creating a Z-pinch is to study the properties of high-energy particles and plasma, which can provide valuable insights into nuclear fusion, astrophysics, and other areas of research. It is also being explored as a potential energy source for the future.

How is a Z-pinch created?

A Z-pinch is created by sending a high amount of electrical current through a gas or plasma, typically in a cylindrical or spherical shape. This current creates a magnetic field that compresses the gas or plasma, causing it to become highly dense and hot, and potentially leading to fusion reactions.

What are the potential applications of Z-pinch technology?

Z-pinch technology has potential applications in various fields, including energy production, space propulsion, and materials science. It is also being explored as a potential method for creating controlled fusion reactions, which could provide a clean and virtually limitless source of energy.

What are the challenges and limitations of Z-pinch technology?

One of the main challenges of Z-pinch technology is controlling and sustaining the intense magnetic fields and high temperatures required for fusion reactions. Additionally, the high cost and complexity of the equipment needed for Z-pinch experiments can be a limitation. Further research and development are needed to overcome these challenges and fully harness the potential of Z-pinch technology.