Ampere's Law & Faraday's Law: Exploring Electromagnetic Wave

In summary: I was just trying to see if the direction of the induced B was always the same, regardless of the direction of E. Thanks again.
jbenson
First, some background. In Faraday's law the reluctance/resistance by "mother nature" to changing the magnetic flux is explicitly recognized by the "-" sign (commonly referred to as Lenz's law), i.e. if the time rate of change of the magnetic flux is positive, an emf is induced so as to oppose this change. Application of this idea allows one to determine the direction of integration in the line integral that that determines the emf.

Here's my question: Is there an analogous effect, like a Lenz's law (for current) if the electric field is increasing or decreasing? For example, when a capacitor is charging there is a "growing" electric field dE/dt > 0, producing a displacement current in the same direction as the conduction current flowing into the capacitor and consequently producing an induced magnetic field having the same sense "axially" as that produced by the conduction current. So if now the capacitor is discharged (let's say slowly through a large resistor), the electric field is in the same direction as before, but now dE/dt < 0. Does this reverse the sense of B (axially) and hence the direction of the line integral on the left side of the Ampere-Maxwell equation? Or is the displacement current still in the same direction and just getting smaller, without changing the sense of B?

I'm trying to understand the application of Faraday's law and Ampere's law to an electromagnetic wave. I know from Faraday's and Lenz's law the correct "sense" of the line integral, but I'm having trouble convincing myself of the correct sense when applying Ampere's law.

I'm sorry for the rather "wordy" question, but I'm hoping someone with a firmer grip on this that I have can help me. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
jbenson said:
Easy way is to just use the current direction in the capacitor leads. The displacement current IS the current in the leads.The right-hand rule tells you the direction of the B field around a capacitor or lead: thumb in the direction of current, fingers curl a round the direction of B. You shouldn't have any trouble relating the direction of the E field buildup (dE/dt) inside the capacitor given the direction of conventional current into the capacitor: I = C dV/dt with V = -d E, d = distance between two large parallel plates in vacuum, for instance.

Thanks for the reply, but I don't think you quite understood my question. In this figure E is directed into the page and is increasing. By the right-hand rule the "induced B" is in a clockwise direction since dE/dt is in the same direction as the conduction current that's causing the increasing E. I understand that. What I'm saying is this: Let's suppose the attached figure shows E without B, i.e. a static case, the capacitor is charged, but not charging. Now assume you connect the plates of the capacitor so that the charge separation will dissipate through a resistor. E is still in the same direction but the positive charge is draining off the plate so that dE/dt < 0. Is the "induced B" still clockwise? because E is still in the same direction? Or is it counterclockwise since the current is flowing in the opposite direction? It seems to me that the Ampere-Maxwell equation "doesn't care" whether E is increasing or decreasing (there is no minus sign like in Faraday's law.) Am I missing something here?

Attachments

• e into page.jpg
    e into page.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 457
jbenson said:
Thanks for the reply, but I don't think you quite understood my question. In this figure E is directed into the page and is increasing. By the right-hand rule the "induced B" is in a clockwise direction since dE/dt is in the same direction as the conduction current that's causing the increasing E. I understand that. What I'm saying is this: Let's suppose the attached figure shows E without B, i.e. a static case, the capacitor is charged, but not charging. Now assume you connect the plates of the capacitor so that the charge separation will dissipate through a resistor. E is still in the same direction but the positive charge is draining off the plate so that dE/dt < 0. Is the "induced B" still clockwise? because E is still in the same direction? Or is it counterclockwise since the current is flowing in the opposite direction? It seems to me that the Ampere-Maxwell equation "doesn't care" whether E is increasing or decreasing (there is no minus sign like in Faraday's law.) Am I missing something here?
Yes, you are. Just because there is no minus sign in the relevant Maxwell equation doesn't mean the sign of B is not related to the sign of dE/dt. It most definitely is.
OK, start with Maxwell: ∇ x H = ∂D/∂t in the absence of actual current flow. D = εE and H = B/μ.
Using Stokes' law we can rewrite to
∫∫(∇ x H)⋅dA = ∫H⋅ds evaluated around a closed curve s defining the surface area A.
So you wind up with ∫H⋅ds = ε ∫∫∂E/∂t⋅dA. This clearly states that the circulation of H is proportional to dE/dt including sign.
And since Ampere's law equates ∫H⋅ds to I you now know that I = ε ∫∫∂E/∂t⋅dA = displacement current.

So the B field is proportional to dE/dt and the sign of B follows the sign of dE/dt.
Just as the E field is proportional to dB/dt, but with a minus sign: ∇ x E = -∂B/∂t.
It's a practically perfect analogy.

Once again, thanks for responding. So in answer to my questions
1. you are saying that as the capacitor drains, the sense of B is opposite to its sense when the capacitor is charging. Right?
2. Further, that there is no "resistance" to the decreasing electric flux (analogous to a back emf), no attempt by nature to prevent the reduction as she tries to prevent a change in magnetic flux.
I agree that there is a "practically perfect analogy", but that's really what I'm getting at. Is it?

o the flow of current. This E fgield repels further charges from increasing this E field, setting up an rquilibrium charge distribution and voltage.
jbenson said:
Once again, thanks for responding. So in answer to my questions
1. you are saying that as the capacitor drains, the sense of B is opposite to its sense when the capacitor is charging. Right?
Right.
2. Further, that there is no "resistance" to the decreasing electric flux (analogous to a back emf), no attempt by nature to prevent the reduction as she tries to prevent a change in magnetic flux.
The Hall effect produces an E field orthogonal to the flow of current and the externally applied B field which then counters further charge migration, so an equilibrium is set up relating the E field to the flow of current. That represents a resistance to increasing the E field.
Also, imagine a parallel-plate capacitor being charged. As it charges up, more and more energy is required to add an extra unit of charge since d(energy) = V dQ but dQ = C dV. So the E field resists being increased. Not sure how 'analogous' these examples are, though.
I agree that there is a "practically perfect analogy", but that's really what I'm getting at. Is it?
I have to leave it here. Perhaps others will add to my posts.

Thanks for your insights.

jbenson said:
Thanks for your insights.
Welcome. If I think of anything further I'll let you know.

1. What is Ampere's Law?

Ampere's Law is a fundamental principle in electromagnetism that relates the magnetic field around a closed loop to the electric current passing through that loop. It states that the line integral of the magnetic field along a closed loop is equal to the permeability of free space times the electric current passing through the loop.

2. How is Ampere's Law related to Faraday's Law?

Ampere's Law and Faraday's Law are closely related and form the basis of electromagnetic theory. Ampere's Law describes the relationship between electric currents and magnetic fields, while Faraday's Law describes how changing magnetic fields can induce an electric field. Together, these laws explain the generation and propagation of electromagnetic waves.

3. What is Faraday's Law?

Faraday's Law is a fundamental principle in electromagnetism that states that a changing magnetic field will induce an electric field. This principle is the basis for the operation of generators and transformers, and also explains the behavior of electromagnetic waves.

4. How are Ampere's Law and Faraday's Law used to explore electromagnetic waves?

Ampere's Law and Faraday's Law are used to understand the behavior and properties of electromagnetic waves. These laws explain how electric and magnetic fields are related and how they can interact with each other to produce electromagnetic waves. By applying these laws, scientists can study the behavior of electromagnetic waves and use this knowledge to develop technologies such as wireless communication and radar.

5. What are some real-world applications of Ampere's Law and Faraday's Law?

Ampere's Law and Faraday's Law have a wide range of applications in modern technology. Some examples include the operation of electric generators and motors, the transmission and reception of radio and television signals, and the functioning of devices such as MRI machines and particle accelerators. These laws also play a crucial role in the development of wireless communication technologies and the study of electromagnetic radiation in space.