About Mech engineer soft skill required

• Thread starter VVS NARASIMHAM
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engineer
In summary, as a freshman planning to major in Mechanical Engineering, you are interested in pursuing a career in the Aerospace industry and want to know which computer programming skills and CAD designing skills would make you more competitive. According to a referenced thread, it is suggested to learn MATLAB and Solidworks, but other design tools such as Autodesk AutoCAD, AutoDesk AutoCAD Mechanical, and Catia V5/V6 would also be beneficial for your resume. In addition, for non-aerospace jobs, C++, Numerical Python, and Java may be used instead of MATLAB.
VVS NARASIMHAM
Hey guys, I am a freshmen planning to Major in Mechanical Engineering. After I graduate, I want to purse a career in the Aerospace industry coz Aviation is my interest. I was wondering what kind of computer programming skills and CAD designing skills should I acquire inorder to make myself more competitive. About computer programming, which one should I consider learning: >C++ or >MATLAB or >JAVA About Computer Aided Design (CAD) program, which one should I consider learning: >Autodesk AutoCAD or >AutoDesk AutoCAD Mechanical or >Catia V5/V6 or >SolidWorks Please give me some idea on which computer programming language and CAD skills to develop.

Reference https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/required-computer-skills-for-mechanical-engineering.500815/

Engineering news on Phys.org
The referenced thread pretty much answers the question MATLAB and Solidworks although the other design tools would be good on your resume too.

As an ME you might also get a job in non-aerospace in which case C++ or Numerical Python and sometimes Java for production work might be used in place of MATLAB.

1. What are some important soft skills for a mechanical engineer?

Some important soft skills for a mechanical engineer include communication, problem-solving, teamwork, time management, and adaptability.

2. How can soft skills benefit a mechanical engineer?

Soft skills can benefit a mechanical engineer by helping them effectively communicate with colleagues and clients, think critically and creatively to solve complex problems, work well in a team environment, manage their time efficiently, and adapt to changes in the industry.

3. Are soft skills more important than technical skills for a mechanical engineer?

Both soft skills and technical skills are important for a mechanical engineer. Technical skills are necessary for performing specific tasks and functions, while soft skills are essential for working effectively with others and adapting to new situations.

4. How can a mechanical engineer improve their soft skills?

A mechanical engineer can improve their soft skills by taking courses in communication, problem-solving, and teamwork, practicing active listening, seeking feedback from colleagues, and participating in team projects and workshops.

5. Are soft skills necessary for all mechanical engineers?

Yes, soft skills are necessary for all mechanical engineers as they are essential for working in a team environment and communicating with colleagues and clients. They also help in career advancement and adapting to changes in the industry.