3D Static Analysis of a Automotive Suspension

In summary: Your Name]In summary, Leon is trying to calculate the reactions of a Formula SAE car's suspension to the chassis. He has set up equations for a static analysis, but has not taken into account the reaction forces at the connection points between the suspension and the chassis. He will need to set up additional equations for these reaction forces and solve them together with his current equations to obtain the desired results.
Leon666
Hello, my name is Leon and I attend to a Mechanical Engineering College.
(I'm sorry for any grammar mistakes, English is not my first language)

I'm trying to calculate the reactions of a Formula SAE car's suspension to the chassis, but I'm getting some strange answers. I hope someone here can help me.

Homework Statement

Here's the layout of the suspension, and free body diagram:
(Every connection is spherical, i.e, no torque is transmitted. Except the connection of point 0 to member 6-7)
CC8ZSH9.png
E8Fl3zc.png

And the coordinates of each point:

LYHbN9K.png

Homework Equations

Next thing I did was to try and set up the equations of a static analysis.
The first 3 equations are setting up the know forces of braking (Fx0), lateral grip (Fy0) and weight (Fz0).
The rest of the equations are simple forces and torques sum.

iml9FY3.png

But here's the odd thing, If I take the last sum of torques equation (which is Mxx around 5) and replace it by the equation of sum of torques Myy around 5 I get diferent answers... Am I overlooking some basic principle? I've checked and rechecked for math errors about 10 times now, without luck.

The Attempt at a Solution

Here's the solution I'm getting from this system of equations (I've used excel to solve it):

2rmLcKw.png

I have attached the excel sheet in case anyone wants to take a look.

Attachments

• Suspensão - Análise Estática de Cargas - No macros.xlsx
    417.2 KB · Views: 220
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hi Leon,

Thank you for sharing your question and calculations with us. I understand that you are trying to calculate the reactions of a Formula SAE car's suspension to the chassis, and you are getting some strange answers. I will try my best to help you with this problem.

Firstly, I want to commend you for setting up the equations for a static analysis. It seems like you have a good understanding of the forces and torques involved in this system. However, I noticed that you have not taken into account the reaction forces at the connection points between the suspension and the chassis. These reaction forces are essential in determining the reactions of the suspension to the chassis.

To solve this problem, you will need to set up additional equations for the reaction forces at the connection points. These equations can be obtained by taking the sum of forces in the x, y, and z directions at each connection point.

For example, at point 1, we can write the following equation:

∑Fx1 = Fx1 + Rx1 = 0

Where Fx1 is the force acting on point 1 in the x direction, and Rx1 is the reaction force at point 1 in the x direction. Similarly, we can write equations for the y and z directions at point 1.

You will need to set up similar equations for all the other connection points (2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7). This will give you a total of 21 equations (3 equations for each connection point).

Once you have these additional equations, you can solve them simultaneously with your current equations to obtain the reactions of the suspension to the chassis.

I hope this helps you to solve your problem. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

1. What is 3D static analysis of an automotive suspension?

3D static analysis of an automotive suspension is a method used to analyze the behavior of a suspension system under various loading conditions. It is a computer-aided engineering tool that uses mathematical models to simulate the forces and stresses acting on the suspension components.

2. Why is 3D static analysis important in automotive design?

3D static analysis is important in automotive design because it allows engineers to predict how a suspension system will perform in real-world conditions. This information is crucial in ensuring the safety, durability, and overall performance of a vehicle.

3. What are the benefits of using 3D static analysis for automotive suspensions?

There are several benefits of using 3D static analysis for automotive suspensions, including the ability to optimize the design for weight, strength, and stiffness. It also allows for faster and more accurate analysis compared to physical testing, reducing the time and cost of development.

4. What factors are considered in 3D static analysis of an automotive suspension?

When conducting 3D static analysis of an automotive suspension, several factors are considered, including the load distribution, material properties of the suspension components, and the geometry and orientation of the suspension system. The analysis also takes into account the effects of various forces, such as acceleration, braking, and cornering.

5. How does 3D static analysis help improve the performance of automotive suspensions?

By using 3D static analysis, engineers can identify potential design flaws and make necessary adjustments to improve the performance of automotive suspensions. This includes optimizing the suspension geometry, selecting appropriate materials, and reducing weight while maintaining structural integrity. Ultimately, 3D static analysis helps to create a more efficient and effective suspension system for a vehicle.