3x3 Invertible transformations

In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between affine and projective planes, with the understanding that projective means the relations between coordinates are equal, not the coordinates themselves. The problem statement involves an affine plane of 2 dimensions, and the attempt at a solution involves applying transformations to a general vector and examining the resulting transformations. The conversation also addresses potential confusion between affine and projective transformations.
Aleoa

Homework Statement

Schermata 2018-04-23 15:00:46.png

[itex]\mathbb{P}^{2}[/itex] is an affine plane of 2 dimensions

The Attempt at a Solution

Take for example the affine plane with z=1. Then I take a general vector v= [x,y,1] and i apply the transformation B and then the transformation A.
So i get Bv=f(v) and Av=cf(v).

To me this doesn't seems the same transformation in the affine plane.
Where am i wrong ?

Attachments

• Schermata 2018-04-23 15:00:46.png
    Schermata 2018-04-23 15:00:46.png
    7.5 KB · Views: 643
Physics news on Phys.org
Aleoa said:

Where am i wrong ?
You're not, but we have the projective plane here, not the affine.
Let ##f(v)=(f_1:f_2:f_3)##, then projective means ##(f_1:f_2:f_3) = (c \cdot f_1:c \cdot f_2:c \cdot f_3)##. This is exactly what projective means: the relations between the coordinates are equal, not the coordinates themselves.

Aleoa said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 224549

[itex]\mathbb{P}^{2}[/itex] is an affine plane of 2 dimensions

The Attempt at a Solution

Take for example the affine plane with z=1. Then I take a general vector v= [x,y,1] and i apply the transformation B and then the transformation A.

Where am i wrong ?

Please take the trouble to actually type out the problem statement; your attached image is unreadable on my devices. Read the post "Guidelines for students and helpers" for more about this issue!

Related to 3x3 Invertible transformations

1. What is a 3x3 invertible transformation?

A 3x3 invertible transformation is a mathematical operation that can be applied to a 3-dimensional vector space. It involves a matrix with 3 rows and 3 columns, and it has the property that it can be reversed or "inverted" by applying a different transformation.

2. How is a 3x3 invertible transformation different from a regular 3x3 transformation?

A regular 3x3 transformation may not be invertible, meaning that it cannot be reversed or undone. On the other hand, a 3x3 invertible transformation has a unique inverse that can reverse the effects of the original transformation.

3. What are some real-world applications of 3x3 invertible transformations?

3x3 invertible transformations have various applications in fields such as computer graphics, robotics, and physics. They are used to rotate, scale, and translate objects in 3D space, as well as in solving systems of linear equations.

4. How can we determine if a 3x3 transformation is invertible?

A 3x3 transformation is invertible if and only if its determinant is non-zero. In other words, the matrix must have a non-zero determinant for it to have a unique inverse. If the determinant is zero, the transformation is not invertible.

5. What are the properties of an invertible 3x3 transformation?

Aside from having a non-zero determinant, an invertible 3x3 transformation has the following properties: it preserves lines, it preserves angles, and it preserves the origin. This means that lines remain straight and parallel after the transformation, angles between lines are maintained, and the origin remains fixed at the same point.