How to Design a 4 Bar Linkage Claw for Underwater Use?

In summary, the conversation revolved around an individual's final project for class, which involves designing a bar linkage claw for holding a submarine. The individual has attached their initial design and approach for calculating the dynamic forces experienced by the claw while underwater. They are seeking assistance and advice, as well as any helpful literature on the topic.
ezioldschool
Hello All,

I am working on a final project for class, and I am trying to design a bar linkage claw design like the one I have attached. I have also attached my attempt to design the length, and where the base pins are supposed to go for the desired start and finish position, open and closed, of the claw. I want to make sure I am approaching this the right way. The claw will be holding a submarine. I have also attached my approach to calculating the dynamic forces that the links and pins of the claw will experience while traveling under water. I realize that I am missing key things like length and angles; this is just a start I want to make sure I am approaching it the right way. Any help or comments that might help me will be greatly appreciated. If there is literature that will help that would also be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

Attachments

• 4 bar linkage claw.jpg
    4 bar linkage claw.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 2,664
  • design attempt.jpg
    design attempt.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 867
  • Force analysis.jpg
    Force analysis.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 1,188
Engineering news on Phys.org

1. What is a 4 bar linkage claw design?

A 4 bar linkage claw design is a mechanism that consists of four rigid bars connected by joints to form a closed loop. It is commonly used in robotics to create a gripping or grasping mechanism.

2. How does a 4 bar linkage claw work?

A 4 bar linkage claw works by using the four bars and joints to create a series of movements that result in the opening and closing of the claw. The bars are connected in a specific way that allows for controlled movement and precision.

3. What are the advantages of using a 4 bar linkage claw design?

One advantage of using a 4 bar linkage claw design is its simplicity and efficiency. It requires fewer parts and can perform tasks with high accuracy. It also allows for a wide range of motion and can be easily controlled.

4. What are some common applications of a 4 bar linkage claw design?

Some common applications of a 4 bar linkage claw design include pick and place operations in manufacturing, robotic arms in assembly lines, and prosthetic hands in the medical field. It is also used in construction equipment and agricultural machinery.

5. Are there any limitations to using a 4 bar linkage claw design?

One limitation of using a 4 bar linkage claw design is that it can only open and close in a fixed path. This means it may not be suitable for tasks that require a wide range of motion or complex movements. Additionally, the precision of the claw design may be affected by wear and tear on the joints and bars over time.