5 watt radial turbine design - I need conceptual help

In summary, Mike has been struggling to find a suitable radial turbine that can deliver 5 watts from compressed air at 20,000 to 40,000 RPM with an efficiency of 30%. He has researched related patents, but they do not address his specific needs. He has also researched textbooks from his college days, but they do not provide the answers he is looking for. Mike has come across a post on a old thread and he is grateful to have found someone that is interested in helping him. Mike is seeking suggestions on how to approach the problem of designing a radial turbine.
Mike_In_Plano
I'm looking to design a radial turbine to deliver 5 watts from compressed air (60-90psi) at 20,000 to 40,000 RPM. 30% efficiency would be suitable.

I reviewed related patents-got little from them. I also reviewed my college textbooks, but they address incompressible, momentum transfer problems.

Any suggestions on how to approach this sort of problem?

Mike

Engineering news on Phys.org
I could probably help. Still need help?

Yes, thank you, APC.
This is an old thread, and I had almost given up hope. I welcome your input.

- Mike

Were you looking to just design one for the sake of it, or designing one to actually manufacture?

I ask because that will probably determine whether you should go with a 2D or 3D turbine. Google mit micro turbine for an example of a 2D turbine.

Let me know, I have written code and could easily just give you the necessary dimensions necessary.

Thanks APC,

My need is for a turbine / generator to function as part of a system that operates in a harsh electromagnetic environment. My rational is that the power could be supplied via the house compressed air, doing away with the need for electrical interconnects.

I've intended to move the product into low volume production (100-200/yr) and it would be great if I could find a turbine on the shelf for 250-$350, but the best I've found was more than $1K. At this point, I'm not certain whether such cost targets could be met.

As far as the geometry, it would be great to have something easy to machine and assemble. My favorite machine shop doesn't have 5 axis equipment. As to balancing, I could probably build a fixture to strobe it - if needed

I can't express just how appreciative I am that you've taken an interest in this work. It's frustrating to have proceeded so far and be forced to stop over just one item...

Best Wishes,

- Mike

I'm not familiar with where you can purchase your own micro turbines. You would probably have to make them yourself for the time being.

A cheap low quality solution is to chemically etch stainless steel.

http://www.micromark.com/MICRO-MARK-PRO-ETCH-PHOTO-ETCH-SYSTEM,8346.html

to get 2D turbines that look like this

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/army/docs/astmp98/figv10.gif

Also, 5 watts is an absurdly small amount of power. Make the turbines is very cheap in this way, but the generators are always the expensive part.

We've used DC brushless motors before that run in reverse from companies such as Faulhaber and Maxon Motor. Although getting appropriate bearings and the shaft link is not as easy as you would think.

Last edited by a moderator:
The etching is a cool concept. I thought machining of laser cutting were the only viable options. I'll still need to get a geometry,

As for a generator, I'm not too worried. I'm a EE that's designed several Brushless controllers, and using them for efficient generators is duck soup. I just need to manage teh bearings and vibration so that it lasts.

Any ideas?

-Mike

Related to 5 watt radial turbine design - I need conceptual help

1. What is a 5 watt radial turbine design?

A 5 watt radial turbine design is a type of turbine that uses a radial flow path for the working fluid, which is usually a gas or liquid, to generate rotational motion. It is typically designed to produce a power output of 5 watts, making it suitable for small scale applications.

2. How does a 5 watt radial turbine work?

A 5 watt radial turbine works by using the pressure and velocity of the working fluid to rotate a set of blades attached to a central shaft. The fluid enters the turbine through a set of nozzles, which directs it onto the blades, causing them to spin. The rotational motion is then used to power a generator or other mechanical device.

3. What are the advantages of a 5 watt radial turbine design?

One advantage of a 5 watt radial turbine design is its compact size, making it suitable for use in small spaces. It is also relatively simple and easy to manufacture, making it cost-effective. Additionally, the radial flow path allows for efficient energy conversion, making it a reliable source of power.

4. What are the key components of a 5 watt radial turbine?

The key components of a 5 watt radial turbine include the nozzles, blades, central shaft, and housing. The nozzles are responsible for directing the working fluid onto the blades, which are attached to the central shaft. The housing contains the turbine and helps to control the flow of the fluid for optimal performance.

5. What are some common applications of a 5 watt radial turbine design?

A 5 watt radial turbine design can be used in a variety of applications, including small-scale power generation, water pumps, and turbochargers for engines. It is also commonly used in renewable energy systems, such as micro-hydro or solar power, due to its compact size and efficient energy conversion capabilities.