7% glacial acetic acid in 40% (v/v) methanol

In summary, the individual is seeking guidance on how to make a 7% glacial acetic acid solution in 40% (v/v) methanol. They are unsure of whether to use w/w%, v/v%, or w/v% measurements. The responder suggests starting with 40 mL of methanol, adding 60 mL of water to create a 40% (v/v) methanol solution, and then adding 7.3 mL of glacial acetic acid to account for volume contraction. They acknowledge that the document provided is ambiguous and the final volume may be closer to 104 mL.
dr.vj
How do I make 7% glacial acetic acid in 40% (v/v) methanol?

Physics news on Phys.org
7% w/w, 7% w/v or 7% v/v?

Please note you should show your attempts at solving the question to receive help. This is a forum policy.

I am totally confused, I don't understand how to solve it. :(
Please see also: http://www.sigmaaldrich.com/etc/medialib/docs/Sigma/Datasheet/b2025dat.Par.0001.File.tmp/b2025dat.pdf

I need to make this solution. Also I need to make 10% acetic acid in 25% (v/v) methanol.

7% in 40%v/v is ambiguous, no wonder you are confused.

Do you at least know definitions of w/w%, v/v% and w/v%?

I think I know the definition for those.
Do you think I have to make 7 ml(acetic acid) + 40 ml(methanol) and add water up to 100 ml?

Or Do I have to make 7% acetic acid (7ml in 100ml of water) and then add it to 40% methanol? If I do the 2nd way, how much of acetic acid I need to add to Methanol?

Or Is these are not right & I have to prepare it in a different way?

First approach sounds more reasonable, although I would go slightly different way - I would start with 40 mL of methanol, add 60 mL of water (that would give 40%v/v methanol), then add 7.3 mL of glacial acetic acid (0.3 mL more to account for the fact final volume would be around 104 mL, as volume of the methanol solution would be around 97 mL due to the volume contraction). At least that's how I understand the composition of the solution. But as I wrote earlier, document you have linked to is ambiguous, so could be I am wrong.

I believe what you suggested is more appropriate for this context.

Thanks a lot.

At first, I thought I would just write the question and get the answer. But you made me think. I appreciate your policy. Thanks again.
I am sure I will have a lot more questions to ask. :)

dr.vj said:
I am sure I will have a lot more questions to ask.

Be prepared for more thinking then.

1. What is the purpose of using "7% glacial acetic acid in 40% (v/v) methanol" in scientific experiments?

The combination of 7% glacial acetic acid and 40% methanol is often used as a solvent or reagent in experiments involving proteins, as it helps to denature and precipitate proteins for further analysis.

2. How is the concentration of "7% glacial acetic acid in 40% (v/v) methanol" calculated?

The concentration of a solution is typically calculated by dividing the amount of solute (in this case, glacial acetic acid) by the total volume of the solution (in this case, a mixture of 40% methanol and 60% other solvents).

3. What precautions should be taken when handling "7% glacial acetic acid in 40% (v/v) methanol"?

Like any chemical reagent, 7% glacial acetic acid in 40% methanol should be handled with care. It is important to wear proper protective gear, such as gloves and goggles, and to work in a well-ventilated area to avoid inhaling any fumes. It is also important to follow proper storage and disposal protocols to prevent any accidents or environmental harm.

4. Can "7% glacial acetic acid in 40% (v/v) methanol" be substituted with other solvents?

While 7% glacial acetic acid in 40% methanol is a commonly used solvent in scientific experiments, it can be substituted with other solvents depending on the specific needs of the experiment. However, it is important to take into account the potential effects on the experiment and adjust accordingly.

5. How is "7% glacial acetic acid in 40% (v/v) methanol" prepared?

To prepare this solution, one would need to measure out the appropriate amounts of glacial acetic acid and methanol and mix them together. It is important to note that glacial acetic acid should always be added to the solvent, rather than the other way around, to prevent any potential reactions. The resulting solution should be thoroughly mixed before use.