8 bit block division -- University Level Intro Course: Networking

In summary, @SumDood_ suggests that the problem is that the ID needs to be 0173 (assuming leading zeroes are accepted), and that a CRC might not be necessary.
SumDood_
Homework Statement
Convert your ID to a bit stream. If the last block is not 8 bits, add 0s to the right. Convert each block to the polynomial. Find the remainders by dividing all the blocks on the divisor, 11010.
Relevant Equations
Assume ID = 173
What I think I should do:
1 = 0001
7 = 0111
3 = 0011
First block = 00010111
Second Block = 00110000

Now, I do binary division
00010111/11010 = find the answer
00110000/11010 = find the answer

This is what I think I should do, but I am not sure if this is correct. Is this basically CRC?
Any help is appreciated, thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi @sumdood. (I typed SumDood but it renders as sumdood).

Edit: Hi @SumDood_

Since no one has yet replied, here are a few (non-expert) thoughts, so you don’t feel ignored!

The question seems incomplete. Have you posted it in full?

Let’s assume (as you have done) that you are meant to encode each decimal digit of the ID as a 4 bit unsigned binary integer.

Because four extra zeroes must be appended to your 2nd block, the problem then is that you can’t distinguish between ID=173 and ID=1730. You would be better to treat your ID as 0173 (assuming leading zeroes are acceptable in the ID.)

The question tells you to "Convert each block to the polynomial". But you haven't done this - you might be required to explicitly write each block's polynomial (e.g. x⁴ + x² etc. for the the first block as you currently have it.)

If you were being asked to do a CRC, with generator = 11010 (5 bits), then you would have to add (5-1=) 4 zeroes to each block before dividing by the generator. That’s not in the instructions so it doesn’t look like a CRC.

You might want to ask whoever set the question for clarification.

Last edited:
Steve4Physics said:
Hi @sumdood. (I typed SumDood but it renders as sumdood). Since no one has yet replied, here are a few (non-expert) thoughts, so you don’t feel ignored!

The question seems incomplete. Have you posted it in full?

Let’s assume (as you have done) that you are meant to encode each decimal digit of the ID as a 4 bit unsigned binary integer.

Because four extra zeroes must be appended to your 2nd block, the problem then is that you can’t distinguish between ID=173 and ID=1730. You would be better to treat your ID as 0173 (assuming leading zeroes are acceptable in the ID.)

The question tells you to "Convert each block to the polynomial". But you haven't done this - you might be required to explicitly write each block's polynomial (e.g. x⁴ + x² etc. for the the first block as you currently have it.)

If you were being asked to do a CRC, with generator = 11010 (5 bits), then you would have to add (5-1=) 4 zeroes to each block before dividing by the generator. That’s not in the instructions so it doesn’t look like a CRC.

You might want to ask whoever set the question for clarification.
I actually have posted in full. I have gotten in touch with who set the question, but no reply.
I do appreciate the response, though!

Steve4Physics said:
Hi @sumdood. (I typed SumDood but it renders as sumdood).
That's because you're looking for @SumDood_ with an underscore at the end!

Likes Steve4Physics
Office_Shredder said:
That's because you're looking for @SumDood_ with an underscore at the end!
Aha! Should have gone to Specsavers!

1. What is 8 bit block division in networking?

8 bit block division is a method used in networking to divide a larger network into smaller subnetworks. This allows for more efficient use of network resources and better organization of devices.

2. How does 8 bit block division work?

In 8 bit block division, the network address is divided into smaller segments of 8 bits each. Each segment can have a maximum of 256 addresses, which allows for a total of 256 subnetworks. This is achieved by using a subnet mask to identify which bits in the network address represent the subnetwork and which bits represent the host.

3. What is the purpose of using 8 bit block division?

The main purpose of using 8 bit block division is to efficiently manage and organize a large network. By dividing the network into smaller subnetworks, it becomes easier to troubleshoot and maintain the network. It also helps in improving network performance by reducing the amount of broadcast traffic.

4. What are the advantages of using 8 bit block division?

Some advantages of using 8 bit block division include better network performance, improved security, and easier management of network resources. It also allows for more flexibility in network design and can accommodate future network expansion.

5. Are there any limitations to using 8 bit block division?

One limitation of using 8 bit block division is that it can result in the creation of a large number of subnetworks, which may not be necessary for smaller networks. It also requires careful planning and configuration to ensure that the subnetworks are properly designed and do not cause any connectivity issues.