A 80 foot tree weighing 4000 pounds will soon fall on my cabin

In summary, an 80 foot tree weighing 4000 pounds can cause significant damage to a cabin, including broken windows, damaged walls, and potential roof collapse. To prevent this, it is recommended to hire a professional tree removal service or trim/prune the tree. It is difficult to determine the exact time the tree will fall, so it is best to take action as soon as possible. If the tree does fall on the cabin, ensure everyone is safe and then contact your insurance company and potentially hire a professional to remove the tree and assess any damage. It is not recommended to remove the tree yourself as it is a dangerous task.
oldsaltysailor
Homework Statement: I have a 80 foot tree weighing 4000 pounds ready to fall on my cabin. How thick of a cable or a nylon rope a do I need to stop it from hitting the cabin?
Homework Equations: m=f/g

I am 82 years old and can no longer do the math on this real problem I have due to a brain injury.

<< Post edited by a Mentor to remove a solicitation >>

I have several of these trees ready to fall on my cabin back in the woods. What size cable or a 3/4 inch nylon rope do I need. Engineering toolbox.com says a 1/2 inch cable has a minimum breaking strength of 12,200 pounds. Another site says a 3/4 inch nylon rope has a breaking strength of 14,000 pounds but nylon also stretches absorbing some of the force. If I put the cable or rope 40 feet high, half the weight would be on the ground.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF, Salty.

Unfortunately, for liability reasons, we can't give you advice on how to do this by yourself. You should contact a local tree service to get a quote on removing or bracing those trees. :smile:

Hi there,

First of all, I'm sorry to hear about your brain injury and I hope you are doing well.

In terms of your question, determining the thickness of the cable or rope needed to stop the tree from hitting your cabin can be a bit tricky. There are a few factors to consider, such as the weight of the tree, the distance it will fall, and the breaking strength of the material you will be using.

Based on the information you provided, it seems like the 1/2 inch cable would be a good choice, as it has a higher breaking strength than the 3/4 inch nylon rope. However, as you mentioned, nylon rope does have some stretch which can help absorb the force of the falling tree. So, it may be worth considering using the 3/4 inch nylon rope instead.

In terms of the distance from the ground, it would be best to have the cable or rope at least half the height of the tree, so in this case, 40 feet would be a good height. This will help distribute the weight and force more evenly.

In any case, I would recommend consulting with a professional or someone with experience in this type of situation to ensure you have the right equipment and setup to safely stop the tree from hitting your cabin. Safety should always be the top priority.

I hope this helps and good luck with your tree situation!

1. How likely is it that the tree will actually fall on my cabin?

The likelihood of the tree falling on your cabin depends on a variety of factors such as wind speed, soil conditions, and the health of the tree. It is important to consult with a professional arborist to assess the risk and take appropriate measures to prevent the tree from falling.

2. What can I do to prevent the tree from falling on my cabin?

There are several measures you can take to prevent the tree from falling on your cabin. These include pruning dead or weak branches, installing support cables, and removing any trees that are too close to your cabin. It is best to consult with a professional arborist for the most effective prevention methods.

3. How should I prepare my cabin for the tree potentially falling?

If the tree is at risk of falling on your cabin, it is important to take precautions to protect your property and ensure your safety. This may include reinforcing the structure of your cabin, securing loose items, and creating an evacuation plan. Again, consulting with a professional arborist is recommended.

4. What should I do if the tree does fall on my cabin?

If the tree does fall on your cabin, it is important to prioritize your safety and evacuate the area immediately. Once you are in a safe location, contact emergency services and your insurance company. It is also recommended to consult with a professional arborist to assess the damage and safely remove the tree.

5. How can I determine the weight and height of the tree?

To accurately determine the weight and height of the tree, it is best to consult with a professional arborist. They have the necessary tools and expertise to measure and estimate the weight and height of the tree. Attempting to do so yourself can be dangerous and inaccurate.