A ball is hit with initial velocity -- Find the Horiz/Vert displacement

In summary,The softball was hit with an initial velocity of 29 m/s. at an angle of 60 degrees above the horizontal and impacts the top of the outfield fence 5s later. Assuming the initial height of the softball was .5 m above (level) ground, what are the balls horizontal and vertical displacements?
Rijad Hadzic

Homework Statement

A softball is hit with an initial velocity of 29 m/s. at an angle of 60 degrees above the horizontal and impacts the top of the outfield fence 5s later. Assuming the initial height of the softball was .5 m above (level) ground, what are the balls horizontal and vertical displacements?

Homework Equations

[itex] a_xt + V_i = V_f [/itex]
[itex] \Delta x = (1/2) (V_f + V_i ) t [/itex]
[itex] \Delta x = V_it + (1/2)a_xt^2[/itex]
[itex] \Delta x = V_f - (1/2) a_xt^2 [/itex][/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex] V_y = 29sin(60) = 25.11473671 m/s[itex]
[itex] V_x = 29cos(60) = 14. 5 m/s [/itex]
Horizontal displacement is easy. Using formula [itex] \Delta x = (1/2) (V_f + V_i ) t [/itex] with [itex] V_f = V_i [/itex] you get [itex] \Delta x = V_ft[/itex], so horizontal displacement = (14.5 m/s)(5s) = 72.5 m

Now to find vertical displacement:

I use formula [itex] a_xt + V_i = V_f [/itex] to find final velocity, plugging in I get:
[itex] (-9.8 m/s^2) (5s) + 25.11473671 m/s = V_f [/itex]
= [itex] -23.88526329 m/s = V_f [/itex]

Now using [itex] \Delta y = (1/2)(V_f + V_i)(t) [/itex] I get:

[itex] \Delta y = (1/2)(-23.88526329 m/s + 25.11473671 m/s) (5s) [/itex]

= 3.07368355 m = y displacement

But the softball starts off with in initial height of .5 m, so I subtract y displacement - .5, which =

2.57368355 m,

but my book gives me answer: 2.95 m

Can anyone tell me where I went wrong here?? I don't see my mistake..

Physics news on Phys.org
You're taking several differences of numbers that are fairly close in magnitude. You are keeping lots of extra digits to maintain accuracy, which is good, however it doesn't make sense to use such accuracy if one of your starting values has only one decimal place of accuracy. I'm referring to the value of g that you're using.

Try using a more accurate value for g, such as ##g = 9.80665~m/s^2##.

Alternatively do all the work symbolically first, only plugging in numbers when you've reduced the expression and removed all redundant operations. It's a less error prone way to work, avoiding rounding and truncation issues as well as transcription errors from carrying along all those digits through the algebra.

gneill said:
You're taking several differences of numbers that are fairly close in magnitude. You are keeping lots of extra digits to maintain accuracy, which is good, however it doesn't make sense to use such accuracy if one of your starting values has only one decimal place of accuracy. I'm referring to the value of g that you're using.

Try using a more accurate value for g, such as ##g = 9.80665~m/s^2##.

Alternatively do all the work symbolically first, only plugging in numbers when you've reduced the expression and removed all redundant operations. It's a less error prone way to work, avoiding rounding and truncation issues as well as transcription errors from carrying along all those digits through the algebra.

I have tried using that value of g and there was an even bigger difference from the books answer to the one I got...

I'm not really sure where the error has come from after I've done it algebraically as well... Does my method look good to you?

Rijad Hadzic said:
I have tried using that value of g and there was an even bigger difference from the books answer to the one I got...

I'm not really sure where the error has come from after I've done it algebraically as well... Does my method look good to you?

The ##\Delta y## you calculated is the y-displacement. There is no need to subtract ##0.5m##.

However, to echo what @gneill says, your use of numbers to umpteen decimal places is clumsy, makes your work difficult to read and even more difficult to spot an error, and is technically wrong (given you do not know the input data to this degree of accuracy).

Finally, it would have been simpler to get both displacements from:

##\Delta x = v_x t## and ##\Delta y = v_yt - \frac12 gt^2##

I think the book used g = 9.81 m/s^2, instead of 9.8 m/s^2.

PeroK said:
The ##\Delta y## you calculated is the y-displacement. There is no need to subtract ##0.5m##.

However, to echo what @gneill says, your use of numbers to umpteen decimal places is clumsy, makes your work difficult to read and even more difficult to spot an error, and is technically wrong (given you do not know the input data to this degree of accuracy).

Finally, it would have been simpler to get both displacements from:

##\Delta x = v_x t## and ##\Delta y = v_yt - \frac12 gt^2##

Why is there no need to subtract .5 m? Isn't the formula [itex] \Delta y = V_yt - \frac 12 gt^2 [/itex] assuming that it starts at level with the ground?

Rijad Hadzic said:
Isn't the formula Δy=Vyt−1/2gt2 assuming that it starts at level with the ground?
Δy means the change in y, or the displacement in the y direction. The displacement will always be the same, regardless of the starting position. The problem statement asked for the horizontal and vertical displacements - not position.

Rijad Hadzic said:
Why is there no need to subtract .5 m? Isn't the formula [itex] \Delta y = V_yt - \frac 12 gt^2 [/itex] assuming that it starts at level with the ground?

No, that equation makes no assumption about a starting height, because it calculates ##\Delta y##.

In fact, it would have made more sense to add the ##0.5m##, which would have given you the height of the ball.

Ahh alright. I got you guys. I understand now, displacement formula = displacement, lol. Doesn't matter where it starts.

I got pretty close to the answer, with the answer being 2.94868355

Apparently I need to use the full value for initial y velocity (25.11473671) and g = 9.81

Rijad Hadzic said:
Ahh alright. I got you guys. I understand now, displacement formula = displacement, lol. Doesn't matter where it starts.

I got pretty close to the answer, with the answer being 2.94868355

Apparently I need to use the full value for initial y velocity (25.11473671) and g = 9.81

Do you think you can calculate the position of a softball to the nearest nanometer?

PeroK said:
Do you think you can calculate the position of a softball to the nearest nanometer?

No, so my answer would have to be rounded to 2.95 meters! Which is the same as my books answer.

1. What is initial velocity?

Initial velocity is the velocity of an object at the beginning of its motion. It is the speed and direction at which the object is moving when it is first released or launched.

2. How is initial velocity calculated?

Initial velocity can be calculated by dividing the total distance traveled by the time taken to travel that distance. It can also be calculated by taking the square root of the sum of the horizontal and vertical displacements squared.

3. How is horizontal displacement determined?

Horizontal displacement is determined by multiplying the initial horizontal velocity by the time taken for the object to travel that distance. This is based on the assumption that there is no acceleration in the horizontal direction.

4. How is vertical displacement determined?

Vertical displacement is determined by using the formula d = v0t + 1/2at2, where d is the vertical displacement, v0 is the initial vertical velocity, t is the time taken, and a is the acceleration due to gravity.

5. What factors can affect the horizontal and vertical displacement of a ball?

The horizontal displacement of a ball can be affected by factors such as air resistance, wind, and friction. The vertical displacement of a ball can be affected by the acceleration due to gravity, air resistance, and any external forces acting on the ball.