A ballistics question I have (regarding penetration)

In summary, the conversation is about two projectiles entering a homogeneous medium at the same angle and impact velocity, but with different masses and frontal surface areas. The question is whether the heavier projectile with a larger frontal surface area would leave the medium at a higher velocity and if the shape of the nose would make a difference. The topic is related to terminal ballistics and a helpful thread is mentioned.
Bookworm216
I've been wondering about this for quite some time, and I was hoping I'd get some answers here. Well, here goes:

2 projectiles (bullets) enter the same homogeneous medium (let's say concrete) at a 0 degree angle. Both projectiles have identical impact velocities, however, "Projectile 2" has a mass twice that of "Projectile 1", while maintaining identical sectional densities. Therefore the second projectile would have a frontal surface area twice that of the first projectile. Projectile 2 has twice the momentum and kinetic energy compared to projectile 1, but by the time it would have penetrated the medium, it would have destroyed twice the amount of concrete as projectile 1. Both projectiles are have a pointed nose.

My question is, would both projectiles leave at same velocity upon penetrating, or would the heavier projectile leave at a higher velocity? Also, would the nose shape matter?

Any insight you may have would be greatly appreciated, and I apologize if I'm asking a lot.

Physics news on Phys.org
I guess terminal ballistics is a really niche science after all...

This recent thread may prove helpful.

1. How is the penetration power of a bullet determined?

The penetration power of a bullet is determined by several factors, including the type of bullet, its velocity, and the density and composition of the target material. Ballistic gelatin is often used to test and measure penetration power, as it closely mimics human tissue in terms of density and composition.

2. What is the relationship between bullet caliber and penetration?

In general, larger caliber bullets will have more penetration power due to their larger size and weight. However, other factors such as bullet shape and velocity also play a significant role in determining penetration.

3. Can a bullet penetrate through multiple layers of materials?

Yes, a bullet can penetrate through multiple layers of materials depending on its penetration power and the composition and thickness of the materials. For example, a high-powered rifle bullet may be able to penetrate through multiple layers of wood or drywall, while a handgun bullet may not have enough force to do so.

4. How does bullet shape affect penetration?

The shape of a bullet can greatly impact its penetration power. Bullets with a pointed or tapered shape are more aerodynamic and therefore may have higher velocities and more penetration power. On the other hand, round or flat-nosed bullets may have less penetration due to their shape causing more drag and slowing them down.

5. Can a bullet penetrate through different types of body armor?

It depends on the type of body armor and the type of bullet. Most modern body armor is designed to stop certain types of bullets, such as handguns or rifles. However, higher-powered rifles or armor-piercing bullets may be able to penetrate through some types of body armor. It is important to always check the specifications and limitations of body armor before relying on it for protection.

A ballistics question I have (regarding penetration)