A bar subject to a rolling disk which is released on an inclined plane

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a rod of mass m and length l, released from a vertical position with the small roller end resting on a slope. The goal is to determine the initial acceleration A without considering friction or the mass of the roller. The equations used to solve the problem include the moment equation and Newton's laws, with the assumption that the bar rotates about its center of mass. The final answer given by the book is a_A=\displaystyle\frac{g\sin \theta}{1-\frac{3}{4}\cos^2\theta}.
Telemachus

Homework Statement

I have this other exercise rigid in the plane, with which I am having problems.

The rod of mass m and length l, is released based on the vertical position of rest with the small roller end A resting on the slope. Determine the initial acceleration A.
attachment.php?attachmentid=32766&stc=1&d=1299177876.png

(neglect friction and mass of the roller A)

The answer given by the book is [tex]a_A=\displaystyle\frac{g\sin \theta}{1-\frac{3}{4}\cos^2\theta}[/tex]

Homework Equations

I try to raise the moment equation, and Newton. But not me, not that I'm doing wrong. For this consider that the bar rotates about its center of mass.
[tex]I_{cm}=\displaystyle\frac{mL^2}{12}[/tex]
[tex]N-mg\cos\theta=0[/tex]
[tex]mg\sin\theta=ma_{cm}[/tex]
[tex]I_{cm}\alpha=\displaystyle\frac{L}{2}mg\sin\theta\cos\theta[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\alpha=\displaystyle\frac{6g\sin\theta\cos\theta}{L}[/tex]
[tex]a_cm=g\sin\theta[/tex]

Then: [tex]a_A=a_{cm}+\displaystyle\frac{L}{2}\alpha=g\sin\theta+3g\cos\theta\sin\theta[/tex]

Greetings and thanks for posting.

Attachments

• 1varilla.PNG
    1varilla.PNG
    387 bytes · Views: 475
Physics news on Phys.org
Should I post this on advanced physics?

Related to A bar subject to a rolling disk which is released on an inclined plane

1. What is the relationship between the bar and the rolling disk on an inclined plane?

The bar and rolling disk are connected by a frictionless hinge, allowing them to move together as one unit on the inclined plane.

2. How does the angle of the inclined plane affect the motion of the bar and rolling disk?

The steeper the angle of the inclined plane, the faster the bar and rolling disk will accelerate downwards due to the force of gravity.

3. What is the role of friction in this experiment?

Friction plays a crucial role in slowing down the motion of the bar and rolling disk on the inclined plane. Without friction, the bar and rolling disk would continue to roll indefinitely.

4. How does the mass of the rolling disk affect the motion of the bar and disk on the inclined plane?

The heavier the rolling disk, the more force it will exert on the bar and the faster they will accelerate down the inclined plane.

5. What are some real-world applications of this experiment?

This experiment can help us understand the principles of rotational motion and how different forces can affect the motion of objects on an inclined plane. It can also be used to study the behavior of rolling objects, which has many practical applications such as understanding the motion of vehicles on hills or the behavior of rolling balls in sports.