How Fast Can a Ring with Uneven Mass Distribution Roll Without Hopping?

In fact, the normal reaction force is zero when I am airborne.It would be best to start by assuming the ring is rolling without slipping, and then find the condition for the ring to hop. What is the condition for rolling without slipping ?In summary, the problem statement is about a ring with three masses attached to it and the goal is to find the maximum velocity at which the ring can roll without slipping. The relevant equations are the moment of inertia of a ring and the torque equation, and the condition for rolling without slipping is that the total upward force plus the normal reaction must be greater than or equal to the weight of the ring. The initial assumption should be that the ring is rolling without slipping and then find
C-137
Homework Statement
Let there be a ring of mass m and radius r. Let 3 masses be attached to the ring and named as O,P and Q. Mass of O and Q is 2m and mass of p is M. The angle between 2 masses is 15 degrees as shown in the figure.
Find the maximum velocity the ring must roll so that it doesn't hop while rolling i.e. to roll normally (without slipping), not bouncing.
Relevant Equations
Moment of inertia of a ring= mr^2
torque= I*(alpha)
Problem Statement: Let there be a ring of mass m and radius r. Let 3 masses be attached to the ring and named as O,P and Q. Mass of O and Q is 2m and mass of p is M. The angle between 2 masses is 15 degrees as shown in the figure.
Find the maximum velocity the ring must roll so that it doesn't hop while rolling i.e. to roll normally (without slipping), not bouncing.
Relevant Equations: Moment of inertia of a ring= mr^2
torque= I*(alpha)

Tried hard.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 223
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Cs, :welcome:
C-137 said:
Tried hard.
That's always good. But not good enough at PF. So post your trials to allow us to assist! What's the criterion for hopping off the ground ? At what point in the rotation would that happen ?

I guess when
total upward force + normal reaction >= mg

What upward force is there except for normal reaction force ?

And what expressions do you have for these ?

C-137 said:
I guess when
total upward force + normal reaction >= mg
You are assuming that leaving the ground means the mass centre of the system is accelerating upwards. If I trip while running, I am likely airborne while accelerating downwards,

1. What is rotation?

Rotation is the movement of an object around a fixed point or axis.

2. How is rotation different from revolution?

Rotation refers to an object turning around its own axis, while revolution involves the movement of an object around another object or point.

3. What causes rotation?

Rotation is caused by a force acting on an object, such as a torque or a push or pull from another object.

4. How does rotation affect an object's motion?

Rotation can change an object's orientation and can also cause it to move in a circular or curved path.

5. Can rotation be measured?

Yes, rotation can be measured in degrees, revolutions, or radians depending on the situation. It can also be measured using instruments such as a protractor or gyroscope.