Rolling without slipping magnitude

In summary: Now, what about the pulley?In summary, the problem involves a solid uniform disk of mass M and radius r, mounted in such a way that a thin light string is wrapped around it. The loose end of the string is attached to the axle of another solid uniform disc of mass m and the same radius r, which can roll without slipping down an inclined plane at an angle θ with the horizontal. The goal is to find the magnitude of the acceleration of the center of mass of the rolling disc, a, while neglecting friction. To solve this, the equations F=ma and τ=Iα are used, along with the condition a=αr. The disc on the incline experiences torque due to friction,
REVIANNA

Homework Statement

problems_MIT_boriskor_BKimages_rolling_disc_attached_to_rotating_pulley.png
[/B]
A thin light string is wrapped around a solid uniform disk of mass M and radius r, mounted as shown. The loose end of the string is attached to the axle of a solid uniform disc of mass m and the same radius r which can roll without slipping down an inclined plane that makes angle θ with the horizontal. Find the magnitude of the acceleration of the center of mass of the rolling disc, a. Neglect friction in the axles of the pulley and the rolling disk.

The Attempt at a Solution

1- I would use ##F=ma## for the disc and ##τ=Iα## for the pulley to write to equations and use the condition ##a=αr##.

2-friction b/w the incline causes torque in the disc

3-##I=0.5mr^2##

4-the net torque on the pulley will have a cos(θ) term (to have only perpendicular elements).

what I don't know-
will only the force of static friction cause net torque in the pulley (or T will cause torque in
the pulley)

edit:
assuming T causes torque
##Tr cos(θ)=0.5 M r^2 α##
##mgsin(θ)+μmgcos(θ)-T=m*a##
using ##α r= a##

I solved the equations but μ and cos(θ) terms don't get canceled
the answer is just in terms of M,m and g and θ

pleasez help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
REVIANNA said:

The Attempt at a Solution

I would use ##F=ma## for the disc and ##τ=Iα## for the pulley to write to equations and use the condition ##a=αr##.
You'll need to use more than just F = ma for the disk on the incline. It is rotating as well as translating.

friction b/w the incline causes torque in the disc
Which disc?
the net torque on the pulley will have a cos(θ) term (to have only perpendicular elements).
The string comes off of the pulley in a direction that is tangent to the rim of the pulley.

what I don't know-
will only the force of static friction cause net torque in the pulley (or T will cause torque in
the pulley)
The static friction force acts on the disc on the incline, not on the pulley. T is the only force applying a torque to the pulley.

Also, the static friction is not necessarily at its maximum possible value. You cannot assume ##f = \mu mg\cos \theta##.

Last edited:
Likes REVIANNA
TSny said:
Which disc?
the one on the incline
will static friction point down the incline?

REVIANNA said:
the one on the incline
OK
will static friction point down the incline?
You should be able to decide this based on the direction of the angular acceleration of the disc on the incline.

TSny said:
direction of the angular acceleration of the disc on the incline.
the disc is rolling down the incline therefore static friction should also point down the incline (because it is the one causing the rotation)
but the answer turns out to be correct if I consider the static friction up the incline (like T)
angular acceleration is pointing out of the screen.(counter clockwise rotation)
what is wrong?

Yes, angular acceleration is pointing out of the screen. So, which way does the torque have to act on the disc?

Likes REVIANNA
TSny said:
torque have to act on the disc
so stupid of me obviously up the incline! I am confusing net F (linear acceleration) with net torque(angular)
thanks a lot

OK. Good work.

1. What is rolling without slipping magnitude?

Rolling without slipping magnitude refers to the speed at which an object is rotating and translating at the same time without any slipping between the object and the surface it is rolling on. It is a combination of both rotational and translational motion.

2. How is rolling without slipping different from rolling with slipping?

In rolling with slipping, the object is rotating and translating while slipping occurs between the object and the surface it is rolling on. This results in a loss of energy due to friction. In rolling without slipping, there is no slipping and the object maintains its speed and energy.

3. What factors affect the rolling without slipping magnitude?

The rolling without slipping magnitude is affected by the rotational speed of the object, the radius of the object, and the coefficient of friction between the object and the surface it is rolling on. It also depends on the shape and mass distribution of the object.

4. Can an object roll without slipping on any surface?

No, an object can only roll without slipping on surfaces with sufficient friction. If the surface is too slippery, the object will slip and not roll without slipping. Additionally, the shape and mass distribution of the object can also affect its ability to roll without slipping on certain surfaces.

5. How is the rolling without slipping magnitude related to the conservation of energy?

The rolling without slipping magnitude is related to the conservation of energy as it is a combination of both rotational and translational kinetic energy. In a system where no external forces act on the object, the total energy remains constant, with a portion of it being in the form of rotational kinetic energy and the other portion in the form of translational kinetic energy.