A bead rests at the top of a fixed, frictionless hoop.

In summary: Would it simply be where the normal force is zero? Because then that only leaves gravity, which is vertical? In which case you'd have $$\phi=\cos^{-1}\frac{2}{3},...,\frac{1}{2}$$ which is not the correct answer.
physicsdude101 said:
So the accelerations at these points is g downwards. Correct?
Only for those where the normal force is zero.

Physics news on Phys.org
haruspex said:
Only for those where the normal force is zero.
For Φ=0, a=0 and for Φ=π, a=-6g. Correct?

physicsdude101 said:
For Φ=0, a=0 and for Φ=π, a=-6g. Correct?
Right for φ=0, but how do you get -6g?

haruspex said:
Right for φ=0, but how do you get -6g?
In my equation N=mg(3cosφ-2) I put φ=π and get N=-5mg. Then the net force is -5mg-mg=-6mg.

physicsdude101 said:
Then the net force is -5mg-mg=-6mg.
The normal force has to be acting vertically upward at the bottom of the loop and the weight vertically downward. So those 2 terms cannot be the same sign.

TomHart said:
The normal force has to be acting vertically upward at the bottom of the loop and the weight vertically downward. So those 2 terms cannot be the same sign.
Ok so would it be 4mg then? How do I get -5mg using the formula though? Isn't that pointing downwards?

physicsdude101 said:
Ok so would it be 4mg then? How do I get -5mg using the formula though? Isn't that pointing downwards?
If you look at how you obtained your equation for N, I think you will find that you have effectively defined it as positive radially outwards.

haruspex said:
If you look at how you obtained your equation for N, I think you will find that you have effectively defined it as positive radially outwards.
Ah I think I get it. So my value of -5mg is correct the way I defined N, and it just means that at φ=π it has magnitude 5mg in the positive y direction? Thus the net force would have a magnitude 5mg-mg=4mg in the positive y direction?

physicsdude101 said:
Ah I think I get it. So my value of -5mg is correct the way I defined N, and it just means that at φ=π it has magnitude 5mg in the positive y direction? Thus the net force would have a magnitude 5mg-mg=4mg in the positive y direction?
Yes.

Likes physicsdude101
Thank you. I think all my questions have been answered then. :)