Calculating the Force Required for a Moving Wedge and Block System

• Thread starter tryingtolearn1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Block Wedge
In summary, the forces acting on the small mass on a wedge are its downward weight ##mg## and the normal force with the contact of the wedge. By equating the horizontal and vertical components of the normal force, we can solve for the force ##F##, which is equal to ##(M+m)g\tan\theta##. The mistake in reasoning was using ##mg\cos\theta## instead of ##mg## as the downward force of the normal.
tryingtolearn1
Homework Statement
Suppose a wedge is moving with a horizontal force F applied to a wedge of mass ##M## and incline angle ##\theta##, such that a block of mass ##m## on the wedge remains in fixed position i.e. it doesn’t slide up or down the incline. Find an expression for #F# (assume no friction or air resistance).
Relevant Equations
##F=ma##
The entire mass of the wedge is ##(M+m)## therefore ##F=(M+m)a##. The forces acting on the small mass are its downward weight ##mg## and the normal force with the contact of the wedge therefore I got that ##N=mg\cos\theta##. Similarly the horizontal component is ##N=ma\sin\theta## therefore equating both sides and solving for ##a## we have that the force is $$F=(M+m)g\cot\theta$$ however the answer is $$F=(M+m)g\tan\theta$$ not sure what I did wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The error is with the following
tryingtolearn1 said:
##N=mg\cos\theta##.
Try to find the mistake in reasoning that led you to this equation.

Likes Lnewqban
TSny said:
The error is with the following

Try to find the mistake in reasoning that led you to this equation.

Hm, but the normal of the small mass is ##N## therefore the downward force of the normal is ##mg\cos\theta##.

Could you show us a diagram?

Likes TSny
tryingtolearn1 said:
Hm, but the normal of the small mass is ##N## therefore the downward force of the normal is ##mg\cos\theta##.
I'm not sure what you mean by the "downward force of the normal". The normal force acting on the small block is perpendicular to the sloping surface of the wedge. So, the normal force on the small block has a horizontal component and a vertical component. The vertical component is upward.

TSny said:
I'm not sure what you mean by the "downward force of the normal". The normal force acting on the small block is perpendicular to the sloping surface of the wedge. So, the normal force on the small block has a horizontal component and a vertical component. The vertical component is upward.

I see my mistake now, ty

Likes TSny

1. What is a moving wedge with a block?

A moving wedge with a block is a simple machine consisting of a triangular-shaped object (wedge) and a rectangular object (block) placed on top of the wedge. The wedge is used to push or lift the block, making it easier to move heavy objects.

2. How does a moving wedge with a block work?

The wedge is placed under one side of the block and the force of the wedge is applied in a downward and forward direction. This creates a horizontal force that lifts the block and reduces the force needed to move it. The angle of the wedge also helps to increase the force applied.

3. What are the advantages of using a moving wedge with a block?

Using a moving wedge with a block can make it easier to move heavy objects, as it reduces the amount of force needed. It also allows for a more controlled and precise movement compared to using brute force. Additionally, it can be used in tight spaces where other machines may not fit.

4. What are some real-life applications of a moving wedge with a block?

A moving wedge with a block is commonly used in construction and manufacturing industries to lift and move heavy objects such as stones, concrete blocks, and machinery. It is also used in agriculture to plow fields and in medical procedures to remove objects from the body.

5. Are there any limitations to using a moving wedge with a block?

One limitation of using a moving wedge with a block is that it can only be used on objects that are resting on a flat surface. It may also require multiple wedges and blocks to move larger or heavier objects. Additionally, the angle and placement of the wedge must be carefully considered to ensure the desired movement and to prevent the block from slipping off the wedge.