A bushranger hanging out of a hotel window

• Thread starter PG222
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Window
In summary, the problem involves a bushranger dropping vertically from a hotel window onto a horse galloping at a constant speed of 14.0 m/s. The distance from the window to the level of the saddle is 2.50 m. The equations used to solve the problem were X = -2.5, X = 0.5(-9.8)t^2, and D = Ut. The time interval for the bushranger to be in the air was calculated to be 0.714 seconds. The horizontal distance between the saddle and window sill was found to be 10 meters. To solve for the horizontal distance, further equations would be needed.
PG222

Homework Statement

A bushranger hanging out of a hotel window wishes to drop vertically onto a horse galloping under the window. The constant speed of the horse is 14.0 m/s, and the distance from the window to the level of the saddle is 2.50 m.
(a) What must be the horizontal distance between the saddle and window sill when the bushranger makes his move?

(b) For what time interval is he in the air?

Homework Equations

I'm not too sure of what equations I was meant to use but I tried this:
X=-2.5
X=0.5(-9.8)t^2
D=Ut

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the above equations I worked t out to be 0.714 seconds
And for the horizontal distance I ended up with 10 meters

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
Was there a question in all that?

some things stand out:
1. you have not provided the reasoning for your working
2. you have not done anything for part (a)
3. would "distance" be the magnitude of the displacement here?

Kinematic equations would be appropriate here - especially if you want to neglect air resistance.

Related to A bushranger hanging out of a hotel window

1. Who was the bushranger hanging out of the hotel window?

The bushranger hanging out of the hotel window is a fictional character often depicted in movies and literature about the Australian bushrangers, who were outlaws in the 19th century.

2. What is the significance of the bushranger hanging out of the hotel window?

The image of a bushranger hanging out of a hotel window is often used as a symbol of rebellion and defiance against authority, as the bushrangers were known for their acts of lawlessness and defiance against the British colonial government in Australia.

3. How accurate is the portrayal of a bushranger hanging out of a hotel window in media?

The portrayal of a bushranger hanging out of a hotel window in media is often exaggerated and romanticized for entertainment purposes. While there were cases of bushrangers hiding out in hotels, the image of them literally hanging out of windows is not historically accurate.

4. What other locations did bushrangers frequent besides hotels?

Bushrangers were known for hiding out in various locations such as caves, abandoned buildings, and in the Australian bush. They would also often rob travelers on the roads and sometimes even disguise themselves as travelers to avoid suspicion.

5. How did the bushranger era come to an end?

The bushranger era came to an end in the late 1800s due to increased police presence and stricter laws. Many bushrangers were captured or killed, and the romanticism surrounding them faded as society moved towards more civilized and law-abiding behavior.