A camera for recording lectures?

In summary, the best solution for recording lectures at university with the given requirements would be to use a good webcam attached to a laptop. This option offers discretion, software support, and potentially longer battery life. However, if a simple camera with long battery life is preferred, options such as the Blue Microphones desktop series may be worth researching. It should be noted that recording without the lecturer's consent may not be allowed. Alternatively, an iPhone could also be a hassle-free and effective solution.
christian0710
Hi, I was wondering, what would be the smartest solution for recording lectures at university with the following requirements

1. I want the video files to be a small in size as possible (not filling my harddrive to fast)
2. The quality to be good enough so you can see the text on the lectures projector (not amazingly good quality, probably > 5mpx.

Would the solution be to find a good webcam to attach to my laptop, or to get some special camera that can hold battery for 3-5 hours?

Computer science news on Phys.org
christian0710 said:
Would the solution be to find a good webcam to attach to my laptop, or to get some special camera that can hold battery for 3-5 hours?

I would go webcam. It will be more discrete and there will be plenty of software support.

Research some of these
http://bluemic.com/desktop/

These look great! Would you know of any like these just with the added function of recording video (just like 5mpx?) I don't need HD, just a simple camera with long battery life (or USB) :)

I believe you can't record without the lecturer consent. But I can be wrong.

Honestly, get an iPhone. No fuss, no muss, it just works.

What is a camera for recording lectures?

A camera for recording lectures is a device that is used to capture video and audio recordings of lectures or presentations. These recordings can then be played back for students who were unable to attend the lecture in person, or for review purposes.

What are the benefits of using a camera for recording lectures?

Using a camera for recording lectures allows for increased accessibility for students who are unable to attend lectures in person. It also provides a way for students to review material at their own pace, and for instructors to improve their teaching by reviewing their own lectures.

What features should I look for in a camera for recording lectures?

When choosing a camera for recording lectures, some important features to consider include high-quality video and audio recording capabilities, a wide-angle lens for capturing the entire lecture space, and the ability to connect to a computer for easy uploading and editing of recordings.

Can I use my smartphone as a camera for recording lectures?

Yes, many smartphones have high-quality cameras and can be used for recording lectures. However, it is important to ensure that the sound and video quality are sufficient for capturing lectures in a large lecture hall or classroom setting.

Are there any alternatives to using a camera for recording lectures?

Yes, there are other options for recording lectures, such as using a digital audio recorder or a screen recording software on a computer. However, these alternatives may not provide the same level of visual and audio quality as a dedicated camera for recording lectures.