A challenge Question on Inverse Laplace

In summary, the conversation is about solving a challenge question on finding the inverse laplace transform of a function and the difficulties the person is facing due to the odd factor of 17 in the denominator. They also mention attempting to factor out e^-3s and seeking help on a homework platform. The expert then suggests completing the square and using partial fractions or Cauchy's Residue Theorem to solve the problem. Finally, the person realizes that using the step function can make the problem much easier.
Theelectricchild
Hey everyone, I am trying to solve this challenge question on finding the inverse laplace transform of

[tex]f(s)=\frac{5se^{-3s} - e^{-3s}}{s^{2}-4s+17}[/tex]

Heres my reasoning: I feel that I should split up that denominator into two linear factors, however its that odd 17 that is very troublesome. In addition, I attempted to factor out an [tex]e^{-3s}[/tex] in the numerator and try to proceed from there--- but I tried to get help from the homework section but it seems like not as many posts come in there, and Id think avid diff eq experts hang out here more, so any help would be greatly appreciated in solving this problem! THANKS!

Physics news on Phys.org
You CAN'T factor s2- 4s+ 17 since the equation s2- 4s+ 17= 0 does not have real roots but you can "complete the square":

s2- 4s+ 17= s2+ 4s+ 4+ 13= (s+2)2+ 13.

And yes, factoring the e-3s out is a good idea.

HallsofIvy said:
You CAN'T factor s2- 4s+ 17 since the equation s2- 4s+ 17= 0 does not have real roots but you can "complete the square":

s2- 4s+ 17= s2+ 4s+ 4+ 13= (s+2)2+ 13.

And yes, factoring the e-3s out is a good idea.

Of course you can factor it - you just can't factor it over the reals!

After you do the factoring (yes, with complex factors!) then you can rewrite using partial fractions and look up the inverse transforms in tables. Or you can just use Cauchy's Residue Theorem directly since you already know where the poles are.

I was foolish, it's a very easy problem once you learn the step function. The e^-3s is just a shift, using the u(t) the shift is 3.

Related to A challenge Question on Inverse Laplace

1. What is the inverse Laplace transform?

The inverse Laplace transform is a mathematical operation that takes a function in the complex frequency domain and transforms it into the time domain. It is the reverse of the Laplace transform, which converts a function in the time domain into the complex frequency domain.

2. Why is the inverse Laplace transform important?

The inverse Laplace transform is important because it allows us to solve differential equations in the time domain by transforming them into algebraic equations in the complex frequency domain. This makes it a powerful tool in many areas of science and engineering.

3. How is the inverse Laplace transform calculated?

The inverse Laplace transform is calculated using a variety of methods, including partial fraction decomposition, contour integration, and the use of tables or software. The specific method used depends on the complexity of the function being transformed.

4. What is the Laplace transform used for?

The Laplace transform is used in a wide range of applications, including control theory, signal processing, circuit analysis, and more. It is particularly useful in solving differential equations that are difficult or impossible to solve using other methods.

5. What are the limitations of the inverse Laplace transform?

One limitation of the inverse Laplace transform is that it can only be applied to functions that have a Laplace transform. This means that not all functions can be transformed using this method. Additionally, the inverse Laplace transform may not always be unique, meaning that multiple functions can have the same Laplace transform.