A coordinate representing rotation about a variable axis and ##T##

In summary: It seems like you're asking if there's a general rule about if a coordinate depends on another coordinate or not. Unfortunately, there isn't a general rule.It seems like you're asking if there's a general rule about if a coordinate depends on another coordinate or not.
Kashmir
If a system is represented by a set of generalized coordinates ##q_i## in which one coordinate say ##\theta## is such that ##d \theta## represents a rotation of the system about a fixed axis( an axis whose orientation remains fixed in space) then the kinetic energy ##T## shouldn't depend on it. I understand why this is true.

What if the rotation axis isn't fixed and it's orientation changes in space? What can we say about ##T##? Will it depend on ##\theta## or not?

Thank you in advance :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
As you saw from your previous post, the kinetic energy may depend on a coordinate such as ##\theta## or it may not. You have to take each coordinate system specifically.

Likes Kashmir
PeroK said:
As you saw from your previous post, the kinetic energy may depend on a coordinate such as ##\theta## or it may not. You have to take each coordinate system specifically.
Is there no general rule, like for a fixed axis it is independent, about a variable axis is it independent or not?

Last edited:
Kashmir said:
Is there no general rule, like for a fixed axis it is independent, about a variable axis is it independent or not.
For any general rule, you need to state the rule and then prove it. "Fixed axis" and "variable axis" don't sound like well-defined terms to me.

PeroK said:
For any general rule, you need to state the rule and then prove it. "Fixed axis" and "variable axis" don't sound like well-defined terms to me.
By fixed axis I mean an axis whose orientation is fixed in space.

PeroK said:
I don't have a Cartesian or spherical system in mind. I'm thinking about a general set of generalized coordinates ##q_i## that somehow represent the system. In this set of ##q_i## I've a coordinate theta whose change means a rotation of the system in space.

Kashmir said:
I don't have a Cartesian or spherical system in mind. I'm thinking about a general set of generalized coordinates ##q_i## that somehow represent the system. In this set of ##q_i## I've a coordinate theta whose change means a rotation of the system in space.
It seems plausible that you can write an expression for kinetic energy does not depend on ##\theta##.

For example, you could choose Cartesian coordinates where ##\theta## represents the usual polar angle.

PeroK said:
It seems plausible that you can write an expression for kinetic energy does not depend on ##\theta##.

For example, you could choose Cartesian coordinates where ##\theta## represents the usual polar angle.
Can we make a general statement as to if ##d\theta## corresponds to a rotation of the system about an axis whose orientation isn't fixed in space then the kinetic energy will/will not depend on ##\theta## ?

(If the axis is fixed, I think I can prove that T will be independent of ##\theta## )

Kashmir said:
Can we make a general statement as to if ##d\theta## corresponds to a rotation of the system about an axis whose orientation isn't fixed in space then the kinetic energy will/will not depend on ##\theta## ?
What does "an axis whose orientation isn't fixed in space" mean? You mean a time dependent axis?

PS The definition of "rotation" entails a "fixed" axis. That's what rotation means.

PeroK said:
What does "an axis whose orientation isn't fixed in space" mean? You mean a time dependent axis?
Yes ,maybe it's orientation depends on time or other coordinates ##q_j## or both. What I'm trying to say is that the orientation isn't fixed. If the axis points this way right now the next instant it will point in other direction.

• Skeptical
Likes PeroK
Kashmir said:
Yes ,maybe it's orientation depends on time or other coordinates ##q_j## or both. What I'm trying to say is that the orientation isn't fixed. If the axis points this way right now the next instant it will point in other direction.
I'm struggling to see the purpose of this. If you allow time dependent coordinates, then I think anything is possible.

PeroK said:

PS The definition of "rotation" entails a "fixed" axis. That's what rotation means.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotation_around_a_fixed_axis maybe it clears what I mean by fixed and variable axis.

Imagine, for example, that ##\theta## is a polar angle and you define a coordinate ##\theta'## as some (non-linear) function of ##\theta##? Then is ##d\theta'## still a rotation? In this case, clearly the KE depends on ##\theta'##.

This is why I'm reluctant to get drawn into general claims when the hypotheses are not clear.

Last edited:
E.g. take the usual 2D polar coordinates and define: $$\theta = (\alpha t + 1)\theta'$$where ##\alpha## is a constant with dimensions of ##1/t##. At each time ##t##, ##\theta'## instantaneously looks like a polar angle, but$$\dot \theta = \alpha \theta' + (\alpha t +1 )\dot \theta'$$

PeroK said:
Okay, but what are you trying to achieve by your question? If your coordinates are sufficiently generalised, then you can't say very much about them.
I'll write the passage from where my question emerged. Thank you for taking your time to write.

PeroK said:
Okay, but what are you trying to achieve by your question? If your coordinates are sufficiently generalised, then you can't say very much about them.
Goldstein pg72 2nd Ed. while discussing a particle in a central force field says "... Since potential energy involves only the radial distance, the problem has spherical symmetry, i.e., any rotation, about any **fixed axis**, can have no effect on the solution. Hence an angle coordinate representing rotation about **fixed axis** must be cyclic".

Why restrict to fixed axis? What about an angle coordinate representing rotation about ** non fixed axis** ?

Kashmir said:
Why restrict to fixed axis? What about an angle coordinate representing rotation about ** non fixed axis** ?
Because it's patently not true. If the axis is moving in time, then points at different angular coordinates may be moving at different speeds and that affects the KE.

PeroK said:
Because it's patently not true. If the axis is moving in time, then points at different angular coordinates may be moving at different speeds and that affects the KE.
I couldn't understand that. Could you explain that please.

Kashmir said:
I couldn't understand that. Could you explain that please.
If you are reading Goldsmith, you must be able to work it out for yourself.

Likes Kashmir
PeroK said:
If you are reading Goldsmith, you must be able to work it out for yourself.
OK Thank you :)

Kashmir said:
Is there no general rule, like for a fixed axis it is independent, about a variable axis is it independent or not?
I agree with @PeroK. I don’t think that any general statements can be proved based on your statements.

However, I would go a little further. While you could take an arbitrary such coordinate system and transform the usual Lagrangian into that coordinate system, it may not even be clear how to separate the resulting transformed Lagrangian into kinetic and potential terms.

Likes vanhees71 and Kashmir
Dale said:
I agree with @PeroK. I don’t think that any general statements can be proved based on your statements.

However, I would go a little further. While you could take an arbitrary such coordinate system and transform the usual Lagrangian into that coordinate system, it may not even be clear how to separate the resulting transformed Lagrangian into kinetic and potential terms.
Thank you. That did help. :)

Likes Dale

What is a coordinate representing rotation about a variable axis and ##T##?

A coordinate representing rotation about a variable axis and ##T## is a mathematical representation of the amount and direction of rotation around a specific axis, where the axis itself can change based on certain conditions. The ##T## variable represents the angle of rotation in radians.

How is this coordinate different from a regular rotation coordinate?

This coordinate differs from a regular rotation coordinate in that it allows for rotation around a variable axis, rather than a fixed axis. This can be useful in situations where the axis of rotation may change, such as in a moving object or a changing system.

What is the significance of using radians in this coordinate?

Radians are a unit of measurement commonly used in mathematics and physics to measure angles. They are preferred over degrees in this coordinate because they provide a more precise and consistent way to represent rotations and can easily be used in mathematical calculations.

How is this coordinate used in scientific research?

This coordinate is commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics to represent and analyze rotational motion. It is also used in mathematical models and simulations to accurately predict the behavior of rotating systems.

Can this coordinate be applied to real-world situations?

Yes, this coordinate can be applied to real-world situations, such as the rotation of objects in space, the movement of a spinning top, or the motion of a gyroscope. It can also be used in robotics and animation to create realistic movements and behaviors.