How Does a Corner Reflector Work to Reflect Light Back Along Its Incident Path?

• Thread starter shaiqbashir
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reflector
The resulting reflected rays will be parallel to each other and perpendicular to the third surface. The third surface then reflects these rays back towards the original direction of the light, creating a parallel reflected ray. This concept was used in the Apollo mission to place reflectors on the moon's surface. In summary, a corner reflector consists of three perpendicular surfaces that reflect a light ray back along a parallel line to the original direction, and was used in the Apollo mission in 1969.
shaiqbashir
Hi!

Well can u help me in this problem. it is related to a device called Corner Reflector.

" A corner reflector is formed by three mutually perpendicular reflecting surfaces. Show that a ray of light incident upon the corner reflector (striking all three surfaces) is reflected back along a line parallel to the line of incidence.(Hint: Consider the effect of a reflection on the components of a vector describing the direction of the light ray). The Apollo mission placed this type of reflector on the surface of the moon in 1969."

Please help me in this problem, i just don't know how to solve it. i have only one days left for my test. Plz Help me in detail so that i can get it understood.

"Thanks in advance"

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Consider the case where the light hits only two of the surfaces first.

Hi there! I would be happy to help you with this problem. A corner reflector is a device that is commonly used in optics and is made up of three perpendicular mirrors. When a ray of light strikes this reflector, it is reflected back along a line parallel to the line of incidence, which is the path of the incoming light ray. This phenomenon is known as total internal reflection.

To understand this concept better, let's break it down step by step. First, imagine a ray of light approaching the corner reflector. This ray can be represented by a vector, with its direction and magnitude indicating the path and intensity of the light. Now, when this ray of light strikes the first mirror, it undergoes reflection according to the law of reflection, which states that the angle of incidence is equal to the angle of reflection. This means that the direction of the reflected ray will be exactly opposite to the direction of the incident ray.

Next, the reflected ray strikes the second mirror, which is perpendicular to the first one. Here, the same law of reflection applies, and the reflected ray will again be directed in the opposite direction. Finally, the reflected ray strikes the third mirror, which is perpendicular to both the first and second mirrors. Again, the law of reflection applies, and the reflected ray will be directed back along the same path as the incident ray, but in the opposite direction.

In summary, the three reflections result in the incident ray being reflected back along its original path, but in the opposite direction. This is why the reflected ray is parallel to the line of incidence. This phenomenon is utilized in various applications, such as in the Apollo mission where corner reflectors were used on the surface of the moon to reflect laser beams back to Earth for precise measurements.

I hope this explanation helps you understand the concept better. If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask. Best of luck on your test!

1. What is a corner reflector problem?

A corner reflector problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the optimal position and orientation of a corner reflector in order to reflect a signal back to the source with maximum power.

2. What is a corner reflector?

A corner reflector is a three-sided structure that is used to reflect and focus signals in a specific direction. It is commonly used in radar systems and satellite communication.

3. What factors affect the solution to a corner reflector problem?

The solution to a corner reflector problem is affected by various factors including the shape and size of the reflector, the frequency of the signal, and the distance between the source and the reflector.

4. How is a corner reflector problem solved?

A corner reflector problem is typically solved using mathematical optimization techniques such as the method of steepest descent, gradient descent, or genetic algorithms. These methods aim to find the maximum value of a given objective function.

5. What are some real-world applications of corner reflector problems?

Corner reflector problems have various applications in the fields of radar, satellite communication, and remote sensing. They are used to optimize the performance of these systems by ensuring maximum signal reflection and reception.