Please Please Please help me in this Corner Reflector Problem

• Thread starter shaiqbashir
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reflector
In summary, the conversation is about a problem related to a device called a Corner Reflector. The problem involves showing that a ray of light incident upon the corner reflector will be reflected back along a line parallel to the line of incidence. The hint given is to consider the effect of reflection on the components of a vector describing the direction of the light ray. The Apollo mission placed this type of reflector on the surface of the moon in 1969. The person asking for help is struggling with the problem and has only one day left before their test. The response provides a detailed explanation of how to approach the problem and wishes the person luck on their test.
shaiqbashir
Hi!

Well can u help me in this problem. it is related to a device called Corner Reflector.

" A corner reflector is formed by three mutually perpendicular reflecting surfaces. Show that a ray of light incident upon the corner reflector (striking all three surfaces) is reflected back along a line parallel to the line of incidence.(Hint: Consider the effect of a reflection on the components of a vector describing the direction of the light ray). The Apollo mission placed this type of reflector on the surface of the moon in 1969."

Please help me in this problem, i just don't know how to solve it. i have only one days left for my test. Plz Help me in detail

"Thanks in advance"

Physics news on Phys.org
It's easier than you think. Consider reflection from a single plane surface first, say, the xy-plane.
If [itex]\hat r_i=(x,y,z)[/itex] denotes the direction of the incident wave, we know that the reflected ray stays in the same plane of incidence, so the only direction component that changes is the z-component. Since angle of incidence equals angle of reflection, the z-component simply changes sign: [itex]\hat r_i =(x,y,z) \to \hat r_r=(x,y,-z)[/itex].

Consider reflection from a corner as three reflections from 3 plane surfaces.

Consider a vector in the direction of a given ray. All you've to note is this- if this ray falls on a surface,the normal component of the vector is reversed &
the other components remain unchanged (a mere re-statement of the law of reflection).
Suppose that initially the vector in the problem is (x,y,z) in the coordinate system formed by the axes where the mirrors meet. In the course of reflections, the components will be changed to their negatives one by one
(for e.g., in the order (-x,y,z)--(-x,-y,z)--(-x,-y,-z) on reflection in the YZ,ZX,XY planes resp.).The negative of a vector is certainly parallel with itself.
Best of luck for the test!
I'm, with great respect,
Einstone.

What is a corner reflector?

A corner reflector is a type of radar target used to reflect radio waves in a specific direction. It consists of three flat surfaces arranged at 90 degree angles, making it resemble a corner.

Why is a corner reflector important?

Corner reflectors are important in radar technology because they provide a strong and consistent signal return, making them useful for calibration and alignment purposes. They are also used as artificial landmarks for navigation and as targets for radar cross section measurements.

How does a corner reflector work?

A corner reflector works by reflecting incoming radio waves back in the direction from which they came. The three flat surfaces act as mirrors, bouncing the waves back towards the source. This results in a strong and consistent signal return.

What are some applications of corner reflectors?

Aside from their use in radar technology, corner reflectors have various other applications. They are used in satellite communication systems to improve signal strength and accuracy. They are also used in the construction of radio telescopes and in optical systems for telescopes and cameras.

What are the limitations of corner reflectors?

One limitation of corner reflectors is that they are only effective at reflecting radio waves in a specific direction. They are also susceptible to interference from surrounding objects and may not work well in certain weather conditions. Additionally, they can be physically fragile and may require regular maintenance to ensure proper functioning.