A couple of probability homework questions

In summary: That's just a different way of getting to the same answer.In summary, the probabilities of antigens reacting with a person's blood are 0.38 for antigen A and 0.16 for antigen B. For the statistics examination, the probability of at least one student failing is 0.6, the probability of neither student failing is 0.4, and the probability of exactly one student failing is 0.5.
1MileCrash

Homework Statement

The first one seems too easy and I'm not sure I did it right (it looks like they are nearly asking what they gave in different words.) I'm relatively comfortable about what I did in the second, note that we did not cover probabilities of intersections of sets yet so I removed those and used other theorems.

1.) Consider, once again, the four bloodtypes A, B, AB, and O, together with the two antigens anti-a and anti-b. Suppose that, for a given person, the probability of type O blood is 0.5, the probability of type A blood is 0.34, and the probility of type B blood is 0.12.

a.) Find the probability that each of the antigens will react with this person's blood.

b.) Find the probability that both antigens will react with this person's blood.

2.) If the probability that student A will fail a certain statistic examination is 0.5, the probability that student B will fail the examination is 0.2, and the probability that both student A and student B will fail the examinatyion is 0.1, what is the probability that:

a.) at least one of these two students will fail the examination?
b.) neither student fails the examination?
c.) exactly one student fails the examination?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1.a)

Antigen A's probability of reacting is the probability that the person has type A blood OR type AB blood.

Type AB's probability is easily found by considering that our sample space must have probability 1, therefore AB has a probability of .04.

Since all of these events are disjoint, the probability of AuAB is just .34 + .04 = .38.

Antigen B is found the same way, .12 + .04 = .16.

1.b)

This is just the probability of having type AB blood, .12.

2.) a and b I am relatively confident in, but c was a bit more difficult for me.

a.) This is Pr(AuB), which is Pr(A) + Pr(b) - Pr(AnB) = 0.6

b.) This is Pr((AuB)'), which is 1 - Pr(AuB) = 0.4

c.) I called this set (AuB)n(AnB)', to denote in the union and not in the intersection.

Since I want Pr((AuB)n(AnB)'), I first took the complement as that set of a whole in order to get a union:

((AuB)n(AnB)')' = (AuB)'u(AnB)

Then
Pr((AuB)n(AnB)') = 1 - Pr[(AuB)'u(AnB)]

Knowing that this is the union of two disjoint sets, the sum of the union is just the sum of their probabilities. Since I found Pr((AuB)') above, and am given Pr(AnB), I found the result to be

Pr((AuB)n(AnB)') = 1 - (.4 + .1)
= .5

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
1MileCrash said:

Homework Statement

The first one seems too easy and I'm not sure I did it right (it looks like they are nearly asking what they gave in different words.) I'm relatively comfortable about what I did in the second, note that we did not cover probabilities of intersections of sets yet so I removed those and used other theorems.

1.) Consider, once again, the four bloodtypes A, B, AB, and O, together with the two antigens anti-a and anti-b. Suppose that, for a given person, the probability of type O blood is 0.5, the probability of type A blood is 0.34, and the probility of type B blood is 0.12.

a.) Find the probability that each of the antigens will react with this person's blood.

b.) Find the probability that both antigens will react with this person's blood.

2.) If the probability that student A will fail a certain statistic examination is 0.5, the probability that student B will fail the examination is 0.2, and the probability that both student A and student B will fail the examinatyion is 0.1, what is the probability that:

a.) at least one of these two students will fail the examination?
b.) neither student fails the examination?
c.) exactly one student fails the examination?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1.a)

Antigen A's probability of reacting is the probability that the person has type A blood OR type AB blood.

Type AB's probability is easily found by considering that our sample space must have probability 1, therefore AB has a probability of .04.

Since all of these events are disjoint, the probability of AuAB is just .34 + .04 = .38.

Antigen B is found the same way, .12 + .04 = .16.

1.b)

This is just the probability of having type AB blood, .12.
You mean 0.04, which you said above was the probability of AB.

2.) a and b I am relatively confident in, but c was a bit more difficult for me.

a.) This is Pr(AuB), which is Pr(A) + Pr(b) - Pr(AnB) = 0.6

b.) This is Pr((AuB)'), which is 1 - Pr(AuB) = 0.4

c.) I called this set (AuB)n(AnB)', to denote in the union and not in the intersection.

Since I want Pr((AuB)n(AnB)'), I first took the complement as that set of a whole in order to get a union:

((AuB)n(AnB)')' = (AuB)'u(AnB)

Then
Pr((AuB)n(AnB)') = 1 - (AuB)'u(AnB)

Knowing that this is the union of two disjoint sets, the sum of the union is just the sum of their probabilities. Since I found Pr((AuB)') above, and am given Pr(AnB), I found the result to be

Pr((AuB)n(AnB)') = 1 - (.4 + .1)
= .5
I didn't follow your working closely, but your reasoning sounds right. And the answer you got is correct.

You could also look at it as the probability that at least one fails minus the probability that both fail. On a Venn diagram, that would correspond to exactly the parts of A and B that don't overlap.

1. How do you calculate probability?

Probability is calculated by dividing the number of desired outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. This is typically written as a fraction or decimal between 0 and 1.

2. What is the difference between theoretical and experimental probability?

Theoretical probability is based on mathematical calculations and assumes that all outcomes are equally likely. Experimental probability is based on actual data collected through experiments or observations.

3. Can probability be greater than 1?

No, probability cannot be greater than 1. A probability of 1 means the event is certain to occur, while a probability of 0 means the event is impossible.

4. How do you find the probability of dependent events?

To find the probability of dependent events, you multiply the probability of the first event by the probability of the second event, given that the first event has already occurred. This can be written as P(A and B) = P(A) * P(B|A).

5. How is the complement of an event related to its probability?

The complement of an event is the opposite outcome of that event. The probability of an event and its complement always add up to 1. This can be written as P(A) + P(A') = 1, where A' is the complement of A.