A couple of questions about diodes and the depletion region

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a diode, which has N and P sides and a depletion region. The N side has free electrons while the positive side of the depletion region has positively ionized atoms. The conversation then delves into why the free electrons in the N side do not get pulled by the positive charge in the depletion region, and how the presence of a built-in electric field in the depletion region maintains the separation between the positive and negative charge carriers. The concept of band bending in the depletion zone is also discussed, with the higher conduction band in the N side causing more free electrons and ultimately leading to the separation of charges. The conversation ends with a request for clarification on how exactly the band bending causes the
Karagoz
In a diode, we have N side, P side, and a depletion region, made of positive and negative charged sides. N side and P side of the diodes are neutral charge.
Diodes.png

In N side there are free electrons. In the positive charged side of the depletion region, there are positively ionized atoms that "lack" electrons.Why the free electrons at the N side don't get "pulled" to the positive charged part of the depletion region, and neutralize the ionized atoms there?

Or why electrons at the N side don't get pulled by the positive charge of the depletion region?

And in the sunar collectors, how does the "depletion region" causes the "free electrons" on the P side move from P-side to the N-side, when there's a "barrier" of negative charge in the "depletion region" that would push the electrons back to the P side?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Karagoz said:
In a diode, we have N side, P side, and a depletion region, made of positive and negative charged sides. N side and P side of the diodes are neutral charge.
View attachment 213017

In N side there are free electrons. In the positive charged side of the depletion region, there are positively ionized atoms that "lack" electrons.Why the free electrons at the N side don't get "pulled" to the positive charged part of the depletion region, and neutralize the ionized atoms there?

Or why electrons at the N side don't get pulled by the positive charge of the depletion region?

Look at the band diagram in the depletion zone:

3.-Energy-band-diagram-of-a-p-n-junction.jpg

Notice the band-bending. Now, these are equivalent to the "potential energy" curves versus position. Dig back from your E&M class and recall that dV/dx has a significance (hint: it is equivalent to the electric field).

So if the bend bending causes the presence of a built-in electric field in the depletion zone, what do you think will maintain the separation between the positive and negative charge carriers?

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Look at the band diagram in the depletion zone:

View attachment 213021

Notice the band-bending. Now, these are equivalent to the "potential energy" curves versus position. Dig back from your E&M class and recall that dV/dx has a significance (hint: it is equivalent to the electric field).

So if the bend bending causes the presence of a built-in electric field in the depletion zone, what do you think will maintain the separation between the positive and negative charge carriers?

Zz.

How does that band bending cause electric field in the depletion zone?

Karagoz said:
How does that band bending cause electric field in the depletion zone?

How does a gradient in the potential field causes an electric field?

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
How does a gradient in the potential field causes an electric field?

Zz.

What I only understood from the diagram is that the conduction band is lower in the N side than in the P side. So in the N side more electrons are in the conduction band, thus are "free" to move.

Karagoz said:
What I only understood from the diagram is that the conduction band is lower in the N side than in the P side. So in the N side more electrons are in the conduction band, thus are "free" to move.

I wish you’d answer my question.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
I wish you’d answer my question.

Zz.

Yes but I didn't understand the question, and don't know the answer.

Karagoz said:
Yes but I didn't understand the question, and don't know the answer.

Then you should have said so, because it tells me at what level of knowledge that you already possessed to be able to understand the answers that you will be receiving. It is why I was asking you such question, because you did not describe what you can understand and what you can't.

The "bend bending" is due to the different "energy levels" of the conduction and valence band in n-type semiconductor and p-type semiconductor. When there is a gradient in the energy band (i.e. the slope of E versus distance is not zero), then there is a "net force" built in due to the contact potential difference between the two material. This is the "culprit" that forces the majority charge carrier of one type to go to one side, while the other type to go to the opposite side. This bend-bending is the SOURCE, the explanation, and the origin, of these charges being pushed to one side. This was why I was asking if you know what a gradient in the potential field leads to.

You will need to learn about band diagram of semiconductors (intrinsic and extrinsic) if you want to know more about how these bands come about.

So next time you ask a question and you get "prodding" responses or questions back, don't ignore them. Someone is trying to figure out what type of answers that you might be capable of understanding. There is no point in giving you the complete answer that you cannot comprehend. It will be a waste of time and effort.

Zz.

Last edited:
Likes anorlunda
As I know when electrons get energy and excited, they can move from valence band to the conductive band. Electrons at the conductive band are "free". More such "free" electrons in a matter causes the matter to be more "conductive", also easier to move charge through the matter. There are more such "free electrons" in metals than in plastics.

3-energy-band-diagram-of-a-p-n-junction-jpg.jpg

In the pictre above, above Ec is the conductive band, and below Ev is the valence band.

The diagram above shows that the "conductive band" and "valence band" is lower in the N side of the semiconductor than in the P side. That means it requires less energy to get an electron "excited" and move from valence band to the conductive band. And this means there are more free electrons in the N side than in the P side.

This band bending causes the charges being pushed to one side. But how does this band bending cuase charges, electrons and holes, pushed to one or other side?

Attachments

• 3-energy-band-diagram-of-a-p-n-junction-jpg.jpg
    3-energy-band-diagram-of-a-p-n-junction-jpg.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 693
This is like talking to a wall!

Zz.

What is a diode?

A diode is a semiconductor device that allows current to flow in only one direction. It typically consists of a p-n junction, where one side is doped with positively charged particles (called holes) and the other side is doped with negatively charged particles (called electrons).

What is the depletion region?

The depletion region is the area around the p-n junction of a diode where there is an absence of free charge carriers. This occurs because the positively and negatively doped regions attract and neutralize each other's charge, creating a barrier for current flow.

How does a diode function?

A diode functions by allowing current to flow in the forward direction (from the positively doped side to the negatively doped side) while blocking current in the reverse direction. This is due to the depletion region acting as a barrier for current flow in one direction.

What happens to the depletion region when a diode is forward biased?

When a diode is forward biased (i.e. a positive voltage is applied to the positively doped side and a negative voltage to the negatively doped side), the depletion region becomes thinner as the applied voltage helps to overcome the barrier for current flow. This allows current to flow through the diode.

What happens to the depletion region when a diode is reverse biased?

When a diode is reverse biased (i.e. a negative voltage is applied to the positively doped side and a positive voltage to the negatively doped side), the depletion region becomes wider as the applied voltage increases the barrier for current flow. This prevents current from flowing through the diode.