A curved wire rotating in and out of a magnetic field

In summary, the maximum change in magnetic flux occurs when the semi circle crosses the point where its plane is parallel with the magnetic field, and is minimal when it crosses the point where the magnetic flux is maximum (perpendicular with the field). The function can involve a conditional, and the derivative exists each side of c. The problem asks for the maximum EMF, which will be the same regardless of when it occurs. The maximum EMF is 1.6 V, and the loop begins to enter the magnetic field at t=0.125 seconds, but the derivative of the flux does not exist at that time. The left derivative is zero and the right derivative is unknown.
Jaccobtw
Homework Statement
A wire is bent to contain a semi-circular curve of radius 0.25m. It is rotated at 120rev/min as shown into a uniform magnetic field below the wire of 1.30T. What is the maximum emf induced between the left and right sides of the wire in V?
Relevant Equations
$$\Phi =\int_{}^{}B \cdot dA$$
$$\varepsilon = -\frac{d\Phi}{dt}$$
If I'm correct then the maximum change in magnetic flux occurs when the semi circle crosses the point at which it's plane is parallel with the magnetic field and minimal when it crosses the point at which the magnetic flux is maximum ( perpendicular with the field). I'm having trouble writing a function because I'm assuming the magnetic field is located only below the wire and NOT in the semicircle in its up most position. Any ideas? Thank you.

Screenshot (108).png

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Jaccobtw said:
trouble writing a function
It's quite ok to write a function involving a conditional:
f(x)= (expression 1) when x<c
f(x)= (expression 2) when x>c.
The derivative won't exist at exactly c, but it can exist each side of c.

Likes Delta2
haruspex said:
What exactly is c?

haruspex said:
Ok let's say that the position the loop is in in the picture is ##\pi/2##. The magnetic field begins at ##\pi## and ends at ##2\pi##. When x is less than ##\pi## the magnetic flux is zero. When x is greater than ##\pi## the flux varies depending on the angle with the magnetic field.

Likes Delta2
Jaccobtw said:
Ok let's say that the position the loop is in in the picture is ##\pi/2##. The magnetic field begins at ##\pi## and ends at ##2\pi##. When x is less than ##\pi## the magnetic flux is zero. When x is greater than ##\pi## the flux varies depending on the angle with the magnetic field.
Right, so what is the flux for ##\pi<\theta<2\pi##? What is the emf over that range?

Likes Jaccobtw
$$\Phi (t) = BAcos(4\pi t) $$
$$ \varepsilon (t) = \frac{d}{dt} BAcos(4\pi t)$$

Jaccobtw said:
$$\Phi (t) = BAcos(4\pi t) $$
$$ \varepsilon (t) = \frac{d}{dt} BAcos(4\pi t)$$
So do the differentiation and find the max pdf.

Likes Jaccobtw
haruspex said:
So do the differentiation and find the max pdf.
$$\varepsilon (t) = BA4\pi sin(4\pi t)$$

Jaccobtw said:
$$\varepsilon (t) = BA4\pi sin(4\pi t)$$
And the max value of that is?

Likes Jaccobtw
Notice that the problem asks not for "When" the maximum EMF occurs but what is the maximum emf. You can answer that, either by answering first the "when" or not answering it at all.

Likes Jaccobtw
haruspex said:
And the max value of that is?
At 0.125 seconds. I got it right. Would you have done anything differently?

Not sure but from the shown figure regarding the starting position of the wire and if the magnetic field doesn't fill the whole area, I think at t=0.125sec the wire hasn't yet entered the magnetic field so the EMF is still zero at that time.

EDIT: Anyway the problem asks for the maximum EMF which will be the same, what is the EMF at t=0.125sec(if the magnetic field fill the whole space)?

Delta2 said:
Not sure but from the shown figure regarding the starting position of the wire and if the magnetic field doesn't fill the whole area, I think at t=0.125sec the wire hasn't yet entered the magnetic field so the EMF is still zero at that time.

EDIT: Anyway the problem asks for the maximum EMF which will be the same, what is the EMF at t=0.125sec(if the magnetic field fill the whole space)?
Then I guess it would be at 0.375 seconds since it would cross the magnetic field at that point and then go into the non field area. I got 1.6 V

Likes Delta2
Delta2 said:

If the loop starts at position ##\pi/2## and moves a quarter rotation in an 8th of a second, wouldn't 0.125 seconds be the point at which it begins to enter the magnetic field?

Jaccobtw said:
Then I guess it would be at 0.375 seconds since it would cross the magnetic field at that point and then go into the non field area. I got 1.6 V
Yes I think those are the correct answers according to my opinion
Jaccobtw said:
If the loop starts at position ##\pi/2## and moves a quarter rotation in an 8th of a second, wouldn't 0.125 seconds be the point at which it begins to enter the magnetic field?
Yes, the loop will just start entering the magnetic field area at t=0.125sec but the derivative of the flux doesn't exist for t=0.125sec because the left derivative is zero while the right derivative is 1.6V.

Oh wait, for the same reason the derivative of the flux doesn't exist at t=0.375sec. Hmmm wth is going on here... @haruspex help please?

Delta2 said:
Oh wait, for the same reason the derivative of the flux doesn't exist at t=0.375sec. Hmmm wth is going on here... @haruspex help please?
It exists for ##0.125s<t<0.375s##. Although the supremum value ##4AB\pi## is not achieved, you can get arbitrarily close to it.
Of course, in the real world, field strengths don't have such discontinuities.

• Love
Likes Delta2
haruspex said:
Of course, in the real world, field strengths don't have such discontinuities.
They can have discontinuities if there are different mediums (with different permeability-permittivity) but here it is implied that we have only one medium, vacuum.

Delta2 said:
They can have discontinuities if there are different mediums (with different permeability-permittivity) but here it is implied that we have only one medium, vacuum.
… or current densities. But it seems weird to have a current density where the wire is being rotated.

Also just to note: The derivative here does exist across the boundary. However, the second derivative is discontinuous.

Orodruin said:
Also just to note: The derivative here does exist across the boundary. However, the second derivative is discontinuous.
Sorry which derivative exists? The flux derivative doesn't exist (for me at least) as the left derivative (for 0<t<0.125) is 0, while the right derivative is ##4\pi BA##.

Delta2 said:
They can have discontinuities if there are different mediums
In the real world, media do not have exact boundaries. I'm thinking of the atomic scale.

Likes Delta2
haruspex said:
In the real world, media do not have exact boundaries. I'm thinking of the atomic scale.
Hm.. yes i think you are right, media with exact boundaries can happen only in the classical world of the 19th century.

1. How does a curved wire rotating in and out of a magnetic field produce electricity?

When a curved wire is rotated in and out of a magnetic field, the changing magnetic flux induces an electric field along the wire. This electric field causes the electrons in the wire to move, creating an electric current.

2. What factors affect the amount of electricity produced by a rotating curved wire in a magnetic field?

The amount of electricity produced by a rotating curved wire in a magnetic field depends on the strength of the magnetic field, the speed of rotation, and the angle of the wire relative to the magnetic field. A stronger magnetic field, faster rotation, and a larger angle will result in a greater amount of electricity produced.

3. Can a curved wire rotating in and out of a magnetic field be used to generate renewable energy?

Yes, this phenomenon is the basis for many renewable energy sources such as wind turbines and hydroelectric generators. By using the natural motion of wind or water to rotate a curved wire in a magnetic field, electricity can be produced without the use of fossil fuels.

4. How is the direction of the induced current in a rotating curved wire determined?

The direction of the induced current in a rotating curved wire is determined by Lenz's Law, which states that the direction of the induced current will always oppose the change in magnetic flux that caused it. This means that the direction of the current will depend on the direction of rotation and the orientation of the wire in the magnetic field.

5. What other applications does a rotating curved wire in a magnetic field have besides electricity generation?

Besides electricity generation, a rotating curved wire in a magnetic field is also used in devices such as electric motors and generators, as well as in scientific instruments like galvanometers and magnetometers. It is also used in various industrial processes, such as metal cutting and welding, and in medical imaging technologies like MRI machines.