A discrete mathematics question about logic?

In summary: The lamp and key on the wall in the inspection room are significant because only the spies can turn it on and off, not the police. This plays a role in the plan that the spies make to determine if all of them have been inspected at least once.
sinashan
Hey guys
here is the question i'd appreciate if you could help me with it:
it says that no one dies in planet X,some spies of planet Y were captured by planet X's police.They are so professional that won't say anything to police so their inspection will go on forever and their inspection has no order.
In the inspection room there is only a lamp with a key on the wall and just the spies can turn it on and off(not the police)
Police has one condition to let the spies go:if any of them says that all spies have been inspected at least one they'll be free and if he's wrong they'll all be executed!
Suppose that you are one of those spies and you make a plan with your friends that one of the spies can find out if all of them have been inspected at least once.what will your plan be if:
a)you know that the lamp was off at first
b)don't know whether the lamp was on or off
also you make all your plans before getting captured and after that you have no conncetion to your friends.
///////////////
again thank you for your help it's a question related to logic in discrete mathematics

Physics news on Phys.org
sinashan said:
Hey guys
here is the question i'd appreciate if you could help me with it:
it says that no one dies in planet X,some spies of planet Y were captured by planet X's police.They are so professional that won't say anything to police so their inspection will go on forever and their inspection has no order.
In the inspection room there is only a lamp with a key on the wall and just the spies can turn it on and off(not the police)
Police has one condition to let the spies go:if any of them says that all spies have been inspected at least one they'll be free and if he's wrong they'll all be executed!
Suppose that you are one of those spies and you make a plan with your friends that one of the spies can find out if all of them have been inspected at least once.what will your plan be if:
a)you know that the lamp was off at first
b)don't know whether the lamp was on or off
also you make all your plans before getting captured and after that you have no conncetion to your friends.
///////////////
again thank you for your help it's a question related to logic in discrete mathematics

Show your work.

Ray Vickson said:
Show your work.
what do you mean?

sinashan said:
what do you mean?

What I mean is explained thoroughly in topic 4 of the "pinned" Post "Guidelines for Students and Helpers", by Vela. It appears at the top of the topic listings in the Forum.

No one dies on planet X though. I don't see why anyone is getting executed in the first place, even if they did lie.

Seems fishy.

Zondrina said:
No one dies on planet X though. I don't see why anyone is getting executed in the first place, even if they did lie.

Seems fishy.
no they were spying that's because they're going to be executed.although i think the first sentence of problem is just a distraction

What in the world does the lamp have to do with anything?

1. What is discrete mathematics?

Discrete mathematics is a branch of mathematics that deals with countable and distinct objects. It involves mathematical structures such as sets, relations, functions, and graphs, which are used to solve problems in computer science, cryptography, and other fields.

2. What is logic in discrete mathematics?

In discrete mathematics, logic is the study of reasoning and argumentation using mathematical symbols and formulas. It involves understanding and manipulating logical statements, such as propositions, conjunctions, disjunctions, and quantifiers, to arrive at logical conclusions.

3. What is a discrete mathematics question about logic?

A discrete mathematics question about logic could involve solving a logical puzzle, proving the validity of an argument using logical rules, or simplifying a Boolean expression using logical identities.

4. Why is discrete mathematics important in computer science?

Discrete mathematics is important in computer science because it provides the foundation for algorithms and data structures, which are essential in programming and software development. It also helps in understanding the properties and limitations of computational systems.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving discrete mathematics questions about logic?

The best way to improve your skills in solving discrete mathematics questions about logic is through practice. You can also read textbooks and online resources on discrete mathematics and logic, attend workshops or lectures, and seek help from a mentor or tutor.