A few questions about a problem involving Trusses

• Thread starter noobiest09
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trusses
In summary: I'm sorry for asking so many questions, but I'm pretty sure I will be able to understand the concept much easier if these questions were answered. Thanks!In summary, the conversation discusses the identification of zero-force members in a truss using the rules for members framing into two colinear members. The members GH, HE, AB, and AD are all identified as potential zero-force members, with GH and HE being confirmed as such. The person asking the questions also expresses their gratitude for the help and apologizes for asking multiple questions.
noobiest09
Hi! I'm really having a problem understanding this part of statics so please help!

In this picture, http://i312.photobucket.com/albums/ll323/IAmMaxwellEdison/Members.jpg, what are the zero force members and how do I identify them?

I'm pretty sure that GH, CF, and CD are zero-force members. However, I'm uncertain if EH is a zero force member because load is being applied on point E. Also, are AB and AD zero-force members? because there is the reaction force from the pins so I'm not very sure. So basically, I think all of the members inside the truss are zero-force members if I were to follow this guide.

http://vcity.ou.edu/demoModules/analysis/truss/media/zeromem.gif

I'm sorry for asking so many questions, but I'm pretty sure I will be able to understand the concept much easier if these questions were answered. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
noobiest09 said:
Hi! I'm really having a problem understanding this part of statics so please help!

In this picture, http://i312.photobucket.com/albums/ll323/IAmMaxwellEdison/Members.jpg, what are the zero force members and how do I identify them?
The rules for zero force members apply , in part, for one member framing into 2 colinear members.
I'm pretty sure that GH, CF, and CD are zero-force members.
GH, yes, but why CF and CD?
However, I'm uncertain if EH is a zero force member because load is being applied on point E.
If GH is 0, what does that tell you about EH when you look at joint H?
Also, are AB and AD zero-force members? because there is the reaction force from the pins so I'm not very sure.
Reaction forces are loads applied at a joint.
So basically, I think all of the members inside the truss are zero-force members if I were to follow this guide.
no.

Yeah, I tried just solving for each force on the members and I got only 2 zero-force members - HG and HE. Thank you! I have some more studying to do. "-o-. I thought it's three or more not just three. Thanks!

Great, good job.

1. What is a truss and what is it used for?

A truss is a structural framework that is made of interconnected triangles. It is commonly used in construction to support roofs, bridges, and other structures.

2. How do trusses work?

Trusses work by distributing weight and forces evenly along the length of the structure. The interconnected triangles provide strength and stability to the overall structure, making it able to withstand heavy loads and forces.

3. What are the different types of trusses?

There are several types of trusses, including the Warren truss, Pratt truss, and Howe truss. These types differ in the arrangement of their diagonal and vertical members, which affects their strength and suitability for different applications.

4. How are trusses designed and analyzed?

Trusses are designed and analyzed using mathematical calculations and computer-aided design (CAD) software. This involves determining the forces acting on the truss, selecting appropriate materials, and ensuring that the truss can withstand the expected loads and forces.

5. What are some common problems or challenges when working with trusses?

Some common problems when working with trusses include determining the appropriate size and spacing of members, ensuring proper connections between members, and accounting for external factors like wind and earthquakes. Additionally, truss design and analysis can be complex and require advanced knowledge of structural engineering principles.