A few questions about Direct and Shear stress

In summary, the conversation discusses two problems involving axial tensile forces on different materials. The first problem involves an aluminum bar with known dimensions and properties, while the second problem involves a steel bar with unknown equations for calculating longitudinal and lateral strains. The formula for elongation is mentioned and a clarification is provided between elongation and relative elongation.
hunterage2000
Just a few questions.

1). A bar of 2m and diameter 40mm, is subjected to an axial tensile force of 50KN. What will be the elongation and the reduction in diameter. The aluminium bar has a Modulus of Elasticity E = 70 Gpa and a poissons ratio v = 0.3

2). A 1.5m steel bar has a cross sectional area of 100mm x 50mm. If a force of 120KN is applied what will be the longitudial and lateral strain, and the change in dimension. Assume that for steel E = 200Gpa and v = 0.3.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi hunterage2000! Welcome to PF! :wink:

Show us what you've tried, and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help! :smile:

I don't know what the formula is for working out elongation. I have looked on the web and can't find it. I tried F/AE and got 5.684x10-4. The problems come with answers and it says it should be 1.136mm but the notes on it are a bit crap so I'm just trying to arrange things to get the answer. Same with the 2nd one, its doesn't give the equations for longitudial and lateral strains. I,m not the brightest when it comes to physics.

well I am not 100% on the stuff that youve just put up, but if you can figure out the change in diameter (which i gather you have) elongation can be found by using the original volume and the new diameter using cylindrical volume formulas :)

hunterage2000 said:
I don't know what the formula is for working out elongation. I have looked on the web and can't find it. I tried F/AE and got 5.684x10-4. The problems come with answers and it says it should be 1.136mm but the notes on it are a bit crap so I'm just trying to arrange things to get the answer. Same with the 2nd one, its doesn't give the equations for longitudial and lateral strains. I,m not the brightest when it comes to physics.

The formula is Hooke's law. What you show here is the relative elongation (unitless). The problem requires the elongation.
elongation=(L-Lo)
relative elongation=(L-Lo)/Lo

What is direct stress?

Direct stress is the force per unit area that acts parallel to the cross-sectional area of a material. It is also known as tensile or compressive stress, depending on whether it causes the material to stretch or compress.

What is shear stress?

Shear stress is the force per unit area that acts parallel to the cross-sectional area of a material. It is different from direct stress in that it causes the material to deform by sliding or shearing rather than stretching or compressing.

What is the difference between direct and shear stress?

The main difference between direct and shear stress is the direction in which the force acts. Direct stress acts parallel to the cross-sectional area of the material, while shear stress acts parallel to the surface of the material.

What are some common examples of direct stress?

Some common examples of direct stress include stretching a rubber band, compressing a spring, and pulling on a rope. These actions cause the material to experience tensile or compressive stress.

What are some common examples of shear stress?

Some common examples of shear stress include cutting with scissors, sliding a book across a table, and twisting a doorknob. These actions cause the material to experience shear stress, which can cause it to deform or break if the force is too great.