A few very specific questions about Venus

In summary, the conversation is about an animated short movie about a mission to Venus and the specific questions the person has regarding the details of the environment. The questions include whether an object in long term orbit around Venus would become coated in dust, what weathering effects would be caused by heat, radiation, and other factors, and whether any trace of organic matter could be found in the wreckage after such a long time exposed to the environment. The response suggests that an object in orbit would not be affected by the conditions on Venus, but could potentially be damaged by interplanetary and solar debris.
Andy Weightman
Hi,
I am working on an animated short movie about a mission to Venus. I have a few very specific questions to help me get an authentic look.

Firstly, would an object in long term orbit around Venus (say a hundred thousand years or so) become coated in dust? If so, what colour?

Secondly, what wethering effects due to heat/radiation/other factors would I have to consider (the object is a derelict alien ship, but made of normal metals and alloys familiar to science, not some fancy indestructable material!)

Third, after such a long time exposed to such an enviroment, would it be feasible for any trace of organic matter (ie remains of the crew) to be found in the wreckage?

thanks in advance!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Hi Andy

Andy Weightman said:
orbit around Venus
If it's in orbit, then the conditions on Venus are irrelevant. It's just drifting through empty space, with a bit higher insolation from the Sun. If the craft were to interact with the atmosphere, it wouldn't stay in orbit but crash relatively quickly.

Thanks Bandersnatch,
I was thinking that perhaps the solar wind (presumably stronger, closer to the sun) would have blown material off the cloud tops of Venus. Any thoughts about weathering/corrosion from heat and radiation over such a long time?

It appears more likely an object in some kind of perpetual orbit would be 'sandblasted' by interplanetary and solar debris. Asteroids are not generally thought to be dusty, although dust emissions have been detected in some cases - e.g. asteroid 62412. Any dust from Venus would have to achieve escape velocity from Venus, giving it significant kinetic energy.

Last edited:

Hello,

Thank you for your questions regarding Venus. I am happy to provide some insight to help you create an authentic animated short movie.

Regarding your first question, an object in long term orbit around Venus would likely become coated in dust due to the high levels of atmospheric dust on the planet. The color of the dust would depend on the composition of the dust particles, but it is generally believed to be a yellowish-brown color.

In terms of weathering effects, the object would be exposed to extreme heat and radiation on Venus. This could cause damage to the materials, such as melting or warping of metals. Additionally, the acidic atmosphere of Venus could also corrode the object over time.

As for the feasibility of finding traces of organic matter on the object after such a long time, it is unlikely. The extreme conditions on Venus, including high temperatures and acidic atmosphere, would likely result in the complete decomposition of any organic matter. However, if the object was shielded from these conditions, there is a possibility that trace amounts of organic matter could still be present.

I hope this information helps in creating an accurate depiction of Venus in your animated short movie. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Best,

1. What is the surface temperature of Venus?

The surface temperature of Venus is an average of 864 degrees Fahrenheit (462 degrees Celsius), making it the hottest planet in our solar system.

2. Does Venus have any moons?

No, Venus does not have any moons. It is the only planet in our solar system to not have a natural satellite.

3. What is the atmosphere of Venus made of?

The atmosphere of Venus is made up of mostly carbon dioxide, with small amounts of nitrogen and sulfur dioxide. It also has thick clouds of sulfuric acid.

4. How long is a day on Venus?

A day on Venus is equivalent to 243 Earth days, making it longer than a year on Venus.

5. Can we see the surface of Venus from Earth?

No, we cannot see the surface of Venus from Earth with the naked eye. Its thick atmosphere makes it difficult to see the surface, even with powerful telescopes.