A flatbed truck and Static Friction and Crate breaking loose

In summary, the flatbed truck and Static Friction and Crate "breaking loose" due to static friction. The angle of the slope is required for the crate to "break loose", and the truck driver can do various things to make this happen including changing the direction or accelerating.
shake94
A flatbed truck and Static Friction and Crate "breaking loose"

Homework Statement

A flatbed truck is going downhill on a slope of 10 degrees at a constant speed of 20 m/s (a little over 50mph). A crate of 500 kg is sitting on the flatbed , without being attached by ropes or cables. The flatbed and the crate experience friction , characterized by a static friction coefficient μs =0.35

a. Show that the crate is not about to slip and calculate the angle of the slope that would be required for the crate to "break loose"

b. For the 10 degree slope, calculate the minimum acceleration for which the crate is going to "break loose" and describe in words what the truck driver could do for this to happen (list all possible scenarios).

Homework Equations

F=ma
V^2=u^2+2as

The Attempt at a Solution

So I drew the FBD for the crate and made my coordinate system along the slope. I got W and Fnormal in the y-dir. and W and Fsmax in the x-dir. Since its going in constant velocity, acc would be 0.

For part a,
I got: y-dir:
Fnormal-Wsinθ=0
Fnormal= Wsinθ

x-dir:
Wcosθ-Fsmax= 0
Wcosθ-μsFnormal=0
θ=arccos(μsFnormal/W)

For part b,
Acceleration is involved so, I would do the same procedure but involve ma in the x-direction, correct?
Please help me on to go further from here.
I have a feeling I messed up somewhere with the angles because of the slop thingy. It sort of confuses me.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello.
shake94 said:
For part a,
I got: y-dir:
Fnormal-Wsinθ=0

x-dir:
Wcosθ-Fsmax= 0

If θ in your expressions represents the 10o angle of incline, then I think you should check to make sure you applied the trig correctly.

Also, just because there is a static friction force doesn't mean that the static friction force is at its maximum value.

Well, to show that the crate is not about to slip, I need to show that the component of gravity hasn't yet reached Fsmax. And that's my attempt here. And it breaks loose just when the component of gravity can no longer oppose it. So, how do I find θ value for when it breaks loose?

OK, I see now. I thought that θ in your expressions was the angle given in the problem and that you were going to work out what force of friction would be necessary to keep the crate from slipping on the flatbed at a 10o angle.

Your approach will work fine, but I think you still need to fix the trig functions. To find θ you will want to substitute your expression for Fnormal from the y-direction equations into the expression for the forces in the x-direction and then simplify before trying to solve for θ.

I understand your poitn about the trig functions, I have understood them because they're a slope so I will have to change the angles as well. Thank you for confirming that.

Okay, so the new θ I find from substituting the equations that way will be the θ that is required to "break loose" the crate, correct?

Also, for the second part, please tell me if I am right. They are asking for the MINIMUM acceleration for the 10degree slope. So, here obviously velocity isn't constant and I will have to do the substitution part again but this time with θ= 10 degree and find acceleration that will break loose the crate. Is that right?
What can the driver do for the breaking loose to happen?

Sorry too many questions. :confused: :uhh:

shake94 said:
Okay, so the new θ I find from substituting the equations that way will be the θ that is required to "break loose" the crate, correct?

That's right.
Also, for the second part, please tell me if I am right. They are asking for the MINIMUM acceleration for the 10degree slope. So, here obviously velocity isn't constant and I will have to do the substitution part again but this time with θ= 10 degree and find acceleration that will break loose the crate. Is that right?

Yes.
What can the driver do for the breaking loose to happen?

What can the driver do to make the velocity of the truck change?

He can change the direction, or accelerate. ?

Turning the steering wheel to change direction would be one possibility. There are also two different ways to produce acceleration along the x-direction.

Okay. I got it! Thank you so much! I really appreciate it! :smile::smile:

1. What is a flatbed truck?

A flatbed truck is a type of truck that has an open, flat platform for carrying goods or equipment. It does not have sides or a roof, making it ideal for transporting large or oversized items.

2. What is static friction?

Static friction is the force that prevents two stationary surfaces from moving against each other. It is the force that keeps an object in place on a surface, and it must be overcome by an external force in order for the object to move.

3. How does static friction relate to a flatbed truck?

In the context of a flatbed truck, static friction is what keeps a crate or other cargo from sliding or shifting on the truck's flat surface. Without this friction, the cargo could potentially break loose and cause damage or accidents while the truck is in motion.

4. What can cause a crate to break loose on a flatbed truck?

There are several factors that can contribute to a crate breaking loose on a flatbed truck, such as uneven weight distribution, sudden changes in speed or direction, and inadequate securing or tie-down methods. Additionally, if the truck is traveling on rough or bumpy roads, the crate may be more prone to shifting or breaking loose.

5. How can crate breakage on a flatbed truck be prevented?

To prevent crate breakage on a flatbed truck, it is important to properly secure the cargo with tie-downs, straps, or other methods. Ensuring even weight distribution and avoiding sudden changes in speed or direction can also help prevent the crate from breaking loose. Regular maintenance and inspection of the flatbed truck and its cargo can also help identify any potential issues before they become a problem.