How Can the Acceleration of a Crate on a Truck Be Determined?

In summary: N*sinΘWhat is the relevance of μN*sinΘ?You are looking (I hope) at forces tangential to the slope. The maximum friction, μN, is tangential to the slope. μN*sinΘ would be the vertical component of that.What other force has a component tangential to the slope? Reread my posts #8 and #10.Ah, ok. The weight force has a component tangential to the slope as well, which is mg*sinΘ = 270*9.8*sin(15) = 702.8N.So the equation would be μN*sinΘ + mg*sinΘ = maThen a = (μ
Jonski

Homework Statement

At the instant shown, the driver of the truck has just pressed the accelerator pedal down and the truck has suddenly acquired a tangential acceleration of 2.2m/s^2.
Coefficient of static friction between crate and tray = 0.4
Coefficient of kinetic friction between crate and tray = 0.3
Find the acceleration of the crate?

12212241_10206152257260286_1232742001_n.jpg

Homework Equations

a(normal) = v^2/r
F=ma
F = mv^2/r

The Attempt at a Solution

a(tangential) = 2.2m/s^2
a(normal) = 6.1^2/112 =0.33
a = 2.225m/s^2
F = 270 *2.225 = 600.8N
mv^2/r = -N + m.g.cos(15)
89.7=-N+2555.84
N=2466.1N
μN = 986.4N
986.4 > 600.8
Box doesn't move

However this is not the correct answer as I know it moves.
Can someone please help me found out where I am going wrong.
Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In the statement of the question you only mentioned finding the acceleration of the truck, which you did. So I assume the next part is asking whethe the crate slides.
Keep the tangential and radial components of the truck's acceleration separate. Draw a free body diagram of the crate. What forces act on it parallel to the slope and what forces perpendicular to the slope? If it does not slide, what is its acceleration in each of those directions? What equations does that give you?

Well in the perpendicular direction you have the normal force, weight force*cos(15) and centripetal force
In the parallel direction you have friction force and weight force*sin(15) @haruspex

Jonski said:
Well in the perpendicular direction you have the normal force, weight force*cos(15) and centripetal force
In the parallel direction you have friction force and weight force*sin(15) @haruspex
Almost right.
In nonlinear motion, you can choose to think in terms of centrifugal or centripetal.
If you choose centrifugal then it is a ("fictitious") applied force, i.e. it comes into the ##\Sigma F=ma## equation like any other applied force.
If you choose centripetal then it is a resultant force, not an applied force. Specifically, it is that component of the resultant force that produces the centripetal acceleration: ##\Sigma F_{radial}=F_{centripetal}=ma_{centripetal}##.
So, write out those equations.

haruspex said:
Almost right.
In nonlinear motion, you can choose to think in terms of centrifugal or centripetal.
If you choose centrifugal then it is a ("fictitious") applied force, i.e. it comes into the ##\Sigma F=ma## equation like any other applied force.
If you choose centripetal then it is a resultant force, not an applied force. Specifically, it is that component of the resultant force that produces the centripetal acceleration: ##\Sigma F_{radial}=F_{centripetal}=ma_{centripetal}##.
So, write out those equations.

So Fcentripetal = mv^2/r = 270*6.1^2/112=89.7N
ΣF = mgcosΘ - N = 2555.84 - N = 89.7N
N = 2466.14N

Is that right? Not too sure what you mean

Jonski said:
So Fcentripetal = mv^2/r = 270*6.1^2/112=89.7N
ΣF = mgcosΘ - N = 2555.84 - N = 89.7N
N = 2466.14N

Is that right? Not too sure what you mean
Yes, good so far.
I see you've updated post #1 to reflect this. But you are missing a force in the tangential direction.

haruspex said:
Yes, good so far.
I see you've updated post #1 to reflect this. But you are missing a force in the tangential direction.

Do you also have something to do with the acceleration of the truck? Otherwise I don't know

Jonski said:
Do you also have something to do with the acceleration of the truck? Otherwise I don't know
Hint 1: Forget the curvature of the hill and truck acceleration for a moment. Suppose the truck were going up a steady incline at constant speed, would some friction still be needed to keep the crate in place?
Hint 2: Whenever you write force equations that involve, say, ##F\sin(\theta)## for some force F and angle theta, consider that in some other equation you might expect to see a term like ##F\cos(\theta)##.

haruspex said:
Hint 1: Forget the curvature of the hill and truck acceleration for a moment. Suppose the truck were going up a steady incline at constant speed, would some friction still be needed to keep the crate in place?
Hint 2: Whenever you write force equations that involve, say, ##F\sin(\theta)## for some force F and angle theta, consider that in some other equation you might expect to see a term like ##F\cos(\theta)##.

Some friction would still be needed otherwise the crate would fall of.
Also i think the force and angle thing you're talking about is the weight force, which I included in both equations

Jonski said:
the weight force, which I included in both equations
You mentioned it in post #3, but I still don't see an equation involving mg sin(theta).

haruspex said:
You mentioned it in post #3, but I still don't see an equation involving mg sin(theta).

So if F=ma=270*2.225=600.8N
Then the N = mgcosΘ - mv^2/r = 270*9.8*cos(15) - 270*6.1^2/112=2466.1N
So if it were to stay with static friction:
μN*sinΘ=0.4*2466.1*sin(15)=255.3N
Since this is less than 600.8N we know it moves.
Now we not its slips and governed by kinetic friction
F = μNsin(15)=0.3*2466.1*sin(15) = 191.5N
Since F = ma, a = F/m = 0.71m/s^2
Is that right?

Jonski said:
μN*sinΘ
What is the relevance of μN*sinΘ?
You are looking (I hope) at forces tangential to the slope. The maximum friction, μN, is tangential to the slope. μN*sinΘ would be the vertical component of that.
What other force has a component tangential to the slope? Reread my posts #8 and #10.

1. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity changes over time. It is often described as how quickly an object is speeding up or slowing down.

2. How is acceleration measured?

Acceleration is measured in units of distance per time squared, such as meters per second squared (m/s²) or feet per second squared (ft/s²). It can also be measured using a tool called an accelerometer, which measures changes in velocity.

3. What is the formula for calculating acceleration?

The formula for calculating acceleration is: a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time. This formula is also known as the average acceleration formula.

4. How does mass affect acceleration?

According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, F = ma, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration. This means that the more mass an object has, the more force is needed to accelerate it. So, objects with greater mass will have a lower acceleration compared to objects with less mass.

5. What factors can affect the acceleration of a crate?

The acceleration of a crate can be affected by various factors such as the force applied to the crate, the mass of the crate, and any external forces acting on the crate (e.g. friction). The surface the crate is on, as well as the shape and size of the crate, can also impact its acceleration.