A friend of mine sent me these pictures showing multiple shadows

In summary, a friend shared pictures showing three shadows during the day at approximately 11:45, when it was overcast. The hypothesis is that the overcast is diffusing the light, causing scattering and multiple shadows due to the photons not being parallel. Some suggest that one shadow is caused by the sun shining through the clouds, while the other shadow is from a large cloud reflecting the sun back. It is noted that the edges of the shadows appear well-defined, but this could be due to the angle of the image. It is suggested that a different angle would provide a clearer understanding.
merlyn
TL;DR Summary
A friend of mine sent me these pictures showing multiple shadows
A friend of mine send me these pictures showing three shadows during the day.
The time of day was approx 11:45 and it was overcast. He asked me what was causing this effect.
Basically you see three shadows. My hypothesis is that the overcast is diffusing the light causing scattering and the photons are not all parallel, due to this there are multiple shadows. What do you all think?

Drforbin.

Attachments

• IMG_0249.jpg
    IMG_0249.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_0249.jpg
    IMG_0249.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 71
  • vlcsnap-2022-07-08-11h12m32s932.png
    vlcsnap-2022-07-08-11h12m32s932.png
    7.6 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
To guess, I'd say that one shadow is caused by the Sun shining somewhat more brightly through the overcast clouds than the scattered light. The 2nd is probably caused by light being scattered/reflected by the clouds preferentially back in the opposite direction from the Sun.

Agree with Drakkith.

At first I thought perhaps it was just one big diffuse-edged shadow with the whole sky as the light source. But the edges of the shadows in the pic are quite well-defined, not diffuse.

So I'd say one shadow is for the sun and the other shadow is from a large, discrete cloud that is efficiently reflecting the sun back.

It's kind of a pity that merlyn's friend didn't just angle the camera upward, and then he wouldn't be guessing - and neither would we.

I agree... especially as the vehicles are not in direct sunlight. This is indicated by the shadow-line on the grass median near the bridge.

DaveC426913 said:
At first I thought perhaps it was just one big diffuse-edged shadow with the whole sky as the light source. But the edges of the shadows in the pic are quite well-defined, not diffuse.
They look well-defined. But we are looking an extremely fore-shortened image of a long object. This would naturally make a fuzzy edge appear sharper.

1. Why are there multiple shadows in the pictures?

The presence of multiple shadows in the pictures is due to the angle and intensity of the light source. When there are multiple light sources or when the light source is at a low angle, it can create multiple shadows.

2. Is this a common occurrence?

Yes, it is a common occurrence to have multiple shadows in a photograph, especially when there are multiple light sources or when the light source is at a low angle. It is also common in outdoor settings where there are objects that can create shadows.

3. Can the number of shadows tell us anything about the light source?

Yes, the number of shadows can give us information about the direction and intensity of the light source. For example, if there are three shadows, it can indicate that there are three light sources or one light source at a low angle.

4. How can we use the presence of multiple shadows to our advantage?

Multiple shadows can be used to create interesting and dynamic compositions in photography. It can also be used to create a sense of depth and dimension in an image. Additionally, analyzing the number and direction of shadows can help in determining the time of day or location of the photograph.

5. Can the presence of multiple shadows affect the quality of a photograph?

Yes, multiple shadows can affect the quality of a photograph as it can create distractions or uneven lighting. However, it can also add visual interest and depth to an image if used intentionally. It ultimately depends on the photographer's creative vision and how they utilize the multiple shadows in their composition.