A gear train design problem

In summary: So in summary, to calculate the input power required for a drive gear in a train, you can find the speed of each gear by dividing the number of teeth, then multiply the output torque by the output speed to find the output power. To include frictional resistance, calculate the speed times frictional torque for each gear to find the power lost and add it to the output power. This will give the input power required for the drive gear in the train.
PizzaWizza
Calculating the input power required for a drive gear in a train.

I have 4 gears, all in line. The driver shaft A rotates at 100 revs/min and the gear has a diameter of 40mm. 20 teeth with a module of 2mm

The output is to rotate at 400 revs/min and has a diameter of 160mm with 80 teeth and the same module of 2mm

The two idler gears are both 100mm each and have 50 teeth each

The output gear is working against a load of 200Nm

All shafts have a frictional resistance of 5Nm

I'm going to try work backwards from my output Torque to see if I can calculate the input.

How do I do this taking into account the frictional resistance.

If I call each gear A, B, C & D respectively with D being my output.

ωD x TD = 400x200 = 80000 W

I'm really not sure what I do to the power here to include the frictional resistance and work back over to calculate the power input required for each gear.

Engineering news on Phys.org
PizzaWizza said:
Calculating the input power required for a drive gear in a train.

I have 4 gears, all in line. The driver shaft A rotates at 100 revs/min and the gear has a diameter of 40mm. 20 teeth with a module of 2mm

The output is to rotate at 400 revs/min and has a diameter of 160mm with 80 teeth and the same module of 2mm

The two idler gears are both 100mm each and have 50 teeth each

The output gear is working against a load of 200Nm

All shafts have a frictional resistance of 5Nm

I'm going to try work backwards from my output Torque to see if I can calculate the input.

How do I do this taking into account the frictional resistance.

If I call each gear A, B, C & D respectively with D being my output.

ωD x TD = 400x200 = 80000 W

I'm really not sure what I do to the power here to include the frictional resistance and work back over to calculate the power input required for each gear.
Find the speed of each gear first, from the number of teeth.
Then multiply output torque by output speed to find output power.
The input power is output power plus losses, so for each wheel, calculate the speed times frictional torque, to find the power lost. Then add together the four values of power lost and the output power. This will give the input power.

Likes billy_joule
tech99 said:
Find the speed of each gear first, from the number of teeth.
Then multiply output torque by output speed to find output power.
The input power is output power plus losses, so for each wheel, calculate the speed times frictional torque, to find the power lost. Then add together the four values of power lost and the output power. This will give the input power.

Apologies, I've got my driver & driven the wrong way around. So driver gear rotates at 100rpm/min and has 80T and diameter of 160mm. The driven output shaft has 20T and a diameter of 40mm

I can find the rotational speed of gear C working back from Gear D via T1ω1 = T2ω2 ∴ 20x400 = 50xω2 = 160rpm/min for gear C which in turn means gear B is the same speed. So where do I find the torque for Gear C. It needs to overcome 200Nm to turn the output, do I multiply 205Nm by the angular velocity to achieve the power requirement in Watts?

PizzaWizza said:
Apologies, I've got my driver & driven the wrong way around. So driver gear rotates at 100rpm/min and has 80T and diameter of 160mm. The driven output shaft has 20T and a diameter of 40mm

I can find the rotational speed of gear C working back from Gear D via T1ω1 = T2ω2 ∴ 20x400 = 50xω2 = 160rpm/min for gear C which in turn means gear B is the same speed. So where do I find the torque for Gear C. It needs to overcome 200Nm to turn the output, do I multiply 205Nm by the angular velocity to achieve the power requirement in Watts?
I have drawn the diagram from your new description. You can find the speed of the four wheels from just the number of teeth.
Next find the output power from 2 pi x revs/sec x torque.
Now find the frictional power lost at each shaft from 2 x pi x revs/sec x frictional torque.
Now add the four frictional powers to the output power. This gives the input power.

Likes PizzaWizza
tech99 said:
I have drawn the diagram from your new description. You can find the speed of the four wheels from just the number of teeth.
Next find the output power from 2 pi x revs/sec x torque.
Now find the frictional power lost at each shaft from 2 x pi x revs/sec x frictional torque.
Now add the four frictional powers to the output power. This gives the input power.
Thanks very much. Makes sense

1. What is a gear train design problem?

A gear train design problem is a type of engineering problem that involves designing a system of gears to transmit power and motion between two or more components. It requires understanding of gear ratios, torque, and rotational speed to create an efficient and effective design.

2. What factors should be considered when designing a gear train?

Some key factors to consider when designing a gear train include the required gear ratio, torque and power requirements, speed and direction of rotation, available space and weight limitations, and the type and size of gears to use.

3. How do you determine the gear ratio for a gear train?

The gear ratio is determined by dividing the number of teeth on the driven gear by the number of teeth on the driving gear. For example, if the driven gear has 40 teeth and the driving gear has 20 teeth, the gear ratio would be 40/20 or 2:1.

4. What is the difference between a simple gear train and a compound gear train?

A simple gear train consists of two gears connected directly to each other, while a compound gear train involves multiple gears that are connected and work together to transmit motion. Compound gear trains are often used to achieve larger gear ratios or distribute the load between multiple gears.

5. How do you ensure the efficiency of a gear train design?

To ensure the efficiency of a gear train design, it is important to choose appropriate gear materials and lubrication, minimize friction and wear, and properly align and support the gears. Additionally, regular maintenance and proper use can help maintain the efficiency of a gear train over time.