A geometry problem with a circle and a bisected radius

In summary: So, in summary, in the given problem statement, the assumption that AD is the radius and ∠AUV = ∠AVU = 45° does not lead to the conclusion that AE = ED.
Akash47
Homework Statement
In triangle ABC, BAC=90°. AD is an altitude of the triangle ABC. A circle is drawn which center is A and radius is AD (I have got the problem from a book.But there's a printing mistake and the problem states that the radius is just 'A'!! But 'A' is just a point and so it can't be radius.So I have just guessed it should be 'AD' but I'm not sure about it.).The circle intersects triangle ABC at U and V. UV meets with AD at E.Prove that AE=DE.The picture is not drawn to scale.
Relevant Equations
No equation is required.
dd.JPG
I have tried a lot by angle chasing e.g. let ∠ABC=x° then ∠ACB=90°-x°. As AU=AV=radius of circle so ∠AUV=∠AVU=45°. I've connected U,D and V,D. Then ∠UDV=135° etc. But I haven't found any way to get near of proving AE=DE. I have also tried to prove 'the area of triangle AEU= area of triangle DEU'.But I've also failed this time.So please tell me what to do next.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,
Akash47 said:
Here ∠AUV=∠AVU=45°
That is not in the problem statement. Is it a given, or have you made an assumption ?
Whatever, even with 45° I don't agree that AE=DE can be right ...

BvU said:
Hi,
That is not in the problem statement. Is it a given, or have you made an assumption ?
Whatever, even with 45° I don't agree that AE=DE can be right ...
No,it's not the statement. Please now look in the problem. I've said that I've just guessed that The radius should be AD,but I'm not sure.

Counter example: let ∠DAC indeed be 45°, and the radius be ##r##. Then AE = ##{1\over 2} r \sqrt 2\ ## so clearly AE ##\ne ## DE

Likes berkeman
Your example is not reasonable.I have just guessed that 'AD ' is radius.Then clearly ∠ AUV=∠AVU=45°.But how can you say that ∠DAC=45°?This is totally unreasonable. Have I ever said that ∠ BCA=45°?Please have a good look on the problem.

Akash47 said:
Your example is not reasonable.I have just guessed that 'AD ' is radius.
But the problem statement says:
In triangle ABC, BAC=90°. AD is an altitude of the triangle ABC.
which makes AD the radius of the circle.

Also, since ∠BAC = 90°, and since U and V are points on the circle, AU and AV are radii of the circle. From this we can infer that ∠AUV = ∠AVU = 45°.

Akash47 said:
Your example is not reasonable.I have just guessed that 'AD ' is radius.Then clearly ∠ AUV=∠AVU=45°.But how can you say that ∠DAC=45°?This is totally unreasonable.
@BvU's example is reasonable. He's not saying that ∠DAC=45°; he's using that as a counterexample to what you're supposed to prove. His single counterexample shows that you cannot prove that AE = ED.

1. What is the definition of a bisected radius?

A bisected radius is a line segment that divides a circle's radius into two equal parts. This means that the bisected radius is exactly half the length of the original radius.

2. How do you find the length of a bisected radius?

To find the length of a bisected radius, you can use the formula r/2, where r is the length of the original radius. This will give you the length of the bisected radius in the same units as the original radius.

3. Can a bisected radius be any length?

Yes, a bisected radius can be any length as long as it is exactly half the length of the original radius. This means that the bisected radius can be shorter or longer than the original radius depending on the size of the circle.

4. What is the relationship between a bisected radius and the diameter of a circle?

The bisected radius and the diameter of a circle are equal in length. This is because the diameter is the longest chord of a circle and the bisected radius is the shortest chord, making them equal in length.

5. How is a bisected radius used in geometry problems?

A bisected radius is often used in geometry problems to find the length of a chord or to calculate the area of a sector. It can also be used to find the distance between two points on a circle or to determine the length of a tangent line. In general, the bisected radius is a useful tool for solving various problems involving circles.