A good book to learn about phonon dispersion relation

In summary, the author recommends reading Charles Kittel's "Introduction to Solid State Physics" before looking for more information on optical phonons.
otaKu
So I see them in the books labelled as accoustic and optical phonons but I don't seem to find a comprehensive treatment of the matter for a beginner who doesn't know a thing about the dispersion curves. I'd prefer not to dwell too much into the mechanical treatment if possible since I just need a basic understanding instead of an extensive one. Is there a book or a web resource maybe which can help a beginner in getting the hang of these processes. Also, it'd be helpful if the resource also discusses the correlation of these dispersion curves with optical phenomena. Thank you in advance for your inputs.

Physics news on Phys.org
Check into Charles Kittel's "Introduction to Solid State Physics." You can find a pdf online somewhere for free.

I have that book but it seems a bit hard to me at the moment. Also I wanted to look for something which is oriented more to the optical side as well.

I learned from that book alone, so I cannot point you anywhere else. However, I would highly recommend reading through all of chapter 4 before moving on. Its only 10 pages + problems, and is needed to understand the more advanced material that you're looking for. In fact, every figure in that chapter is meant to give you a better idea of what is actually occurring.

Okay. Thanks for the input. Guess I'll face it over again. The last time I read it was a few months ago and I was entirely new to solid state physics at that time. Maybe this time I'll find the book more helpful and fun.

Just read it slowly and soak in all of the details. Kittell is very terse...my professor used to call it "condensed knowledge." Let me know if you need any help.

Sure thing. Thanks!

1. What is a phonon dispersion relation?

A phonon dispersion relation is a mathematical relationship that describes the behavior of phonons, which are the quantized lattice vibrations in a solid material. It relates the frequency and wavelength of phonons to the material's properties, such as its density and atomic interactions.

2. Why is it important to study phonon dispersion relation?

Understanding the phonon dispersion relation is crucial for studying the thermal and mechanical properties of materials. It helps us predict how heat and sound will propagate through a material, and how it will respond to external stimuli like stress and strain.

3. How is phonon dispersion relation measured?

Phonon dispersion relation can be measured using techniques such as inelastic neutron scattering, Raman spectroscopy, and Brillouin scattering. These methods involve probing the material with a specific type of energy, such as neutrons or photons, and measuring the resulting vibrations.

4. Can phonon dispersion relation be calculated theoretically?

Yes, phonon dispersion relation can be calculated using theoretical models and equations. However, the accuracy of these calculations depends on the complexity of the material's atomic structure and the accuracy of the input parameters used in the model.

5. Are there any practical applications of studying phonon dispersion relation?

Yes, there are many practical applications of understanding phonon dispersion relation. For example, it can help in the design and development of new materials with specific thermal and mechanical properties, and in optimizing the performance of existing materials in various applications such as electronics and energy storage.