A good linear algebra text book?

In summary, the conversation is about finding a linear algebra textbook for a beginner to understand the determinant of a matrix and its relation to volume, linear dependence/independence, and coordinate transformations. The speaker recommends "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences" by Mary Boas as it includes sections on linear algebra and a visual explanation of the Jacobian determinant. They also suggest browsing through textbooks at a library or bookstore to find the best fit.
nabeel17
I'm looking for a linear algebra textbook slightly above beginner level to get a good grasp of certain topics. Specifically, I want to understand exactly what the determinant of a matrix is and its relation with volume, linear dependence/independence, etc

I recently figured out how to get the jacobian going from rectangular coordinates to spherical and cylindrical but I don't feel I have an intuitive grasp or understanding of how it works...I can just do the math if that makes sense.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm a big fan of Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences by Mary Boas. It's very popular with most of the theoretical and experimental physics students I know.

This is not a linear algebra book - it's more like several applied math textbooks condensed into short versions and glued together. It includes sections on linear algebra and also a nice visual explanation of the Jacobian determinant of a coordinate transformation. (Don't get discouraged yet! I made a mess of that topic for a long time before I finally developed a decent working intuition. As a bonus, it means you'll get a lot more of the inside jokes in Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass.)

One of my favorite study tactics is to go to a library or bookstore, find some textbooks on the subject, and flip through them. Often you can tell pretty quickly whether the style and prerequisites for that book are a good match for your needs.

Awesome, that's exactly the type of book I need! And I'll take your advice and glimpse through more textbooks at the library.

What are the key features to look for in a good linear algebra textbook?

A good linear algebra textbook should have clear and concise explanations, a variety of examples and exercises, and a logical progression of topics. It should also include visual aids such as diagrams and graphs to help understand abstract concepts.

What level of mathematics is necessary to understand a linear algebra textbook?

An understanding of basic algebra and geometry is necessary to understand a linear algebra textbook. Some knowledge of calculus and vector calculus may also be helpful.

How important is the inclusion of applications and real-world examples in a linear algebra textbook?

Applications and real-world examples are crucial in a linear algebra textbook as they help to bridge the gap between theory and practical applications. They also aid in understanding the relevance and importance of the concepts being taught.

What distinguishes a good linear algebra textbook from a great one?

A great linear algebra textbook not only covers the basics of the subject, but also delves deeper into more advanced topics and applications. It may also include additional resources such as online tutorials, interactive demos, and practice problems with solutions.

Are there any specific topics that a good linear algebra textbook should cover?

A good linear algebra textbook should cover topics such as vector spaces, linear transformations, matrices and determinants, eigenvalues and eigenvectors, and systems of linear equations. It may also cover more advanced topics such as diagonalization, inner product spaces, and applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science.