A Guide to the Best Beaches in California

• Thread starter Differentiate it
  • Start date
  • Tags
    california
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of static friction and how it relates to the force acting against it. The speaker questions why the static friction cannot be larger than the component of gravity in the direction along the belt, and the other participant explains that this is due to a misunderstanding of Newton's third law. They go on to discuss examples of this concept, such as a conveyor belt with constant velocity versus one that is accelerating. Ultimately, they come to the conclusion that the intuition of forces being "transitive" is incorrect and that Newton's second law is the correct tool to understand the forces at play.
Differentiate it
Homework Statement
The book is stating that the force of static friction is greater than the force acting against it. I'm pretty sure the book the wrong. You can view the pictures for reference. Help would be appreciated!
Relevant Equations
W = ∆KE
Screenshot_2022-11-23-16-30-23-80_e2d5b3f32b79de1d45acd1fad96fbb0f.jpg

Attachments

• 20221123_162907.jpg
    20221123_162907.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 52
Physics news on Phys.org
Differentiate it said:
Homework Statement:: The book is stating that the force of static friction is greater than the force acting against it. I'm pretty sure the book the wrong. You can view the pictures for reference. Help would be appreciated!
Relevant Equations:: W = ∆KE

View attachment 317589
Why would you think that the static friction cannot be larger than the component of gravity in the direction along the belt? Those do not form a third-law pair.

Orodruin said:
Why would you think that the static friction cannot be larger than the component of gravity in the direction along the belt? Those do not form a third-law pair.
Because static friction is equal to the force it is acting against (well, until the force becomes large enough).

Differentiate it said:
Because static friction is equal to the force it is acting against (well, until the force becomes large enough).
It seems to me you are misunderstanding Newton's third law.

Orodruin said:
It seems to me you are misunderstanding Newton's third law.
Could you explain where I am going wrong?

Differentiate it said:
If you were on a conveyor belt that moves at a constant velocity ( like conveyor belts typically move objects) then, if the object is not slipping the static friction must be equal/opposite the component of weight. However, if the conveyor belt is accelerating ( maybe on a startup ) and the object is being carried up without slipping, the static friction must be greater than the component of weight in the direction of motion.

erobz said:
If you were on a conveyor belt that moves at a constant velocity ( like conveyor belts typically move objects) then, if the object is not slipping the static friction must be equal/opposite the component of weight. However, if the conveyor belt is accelerating ( maybe on a startup ) and the object is being carried up without slipping, the static friction must be greater than the component of weight in the direction of motion.
Ah, yes I get it. Thank you

Likes erobz
Differentiate it said:
Ah, yes I get it. Thank you
Is it possible that the confusion comes from seeing static friction quoted as a maximum ##f_s = \mu_s N ## where ## \mu_s < 1 ##?

If it is, I would say that confusion is justified. I don't have an explanation for what that applies too (but I too would like to hear it),
other than to just know that if the conditions of acceleration up the ramp are met without slipping, it MUST be the case that the static force is greater than the component of weight in the direction of motion.

EDIT: I went back in the intro physics text book. I don't actually see it quoted as that. There is a table of material - material coefficients of static and kinetic friction. All but one of material pairs listed ##\mu_s < 1 ##, But I see that "Rubber- Other Material" can range from ##1\leq \mu_s \leq 4 ##.

I think I was just selectively remembering that most pairs of common materials ##\mu_s < 1 ##.

This application would be "Rubber on Rubber" - which is probably (apparently expected to be) more than 1.

Last edited:
The confusion that I see in this thread is a common one. And apparently cleared up now.

The mistaken intuition is that forces are "transitive". For instance, if you push on a rod with a force of 100 N then intuition says that the rod must push on the next thing with an equal force of 100 N.

Similarly, if gravity is pulling backward on a fellow with a force of <whatever> then intuition says that the force of static friction on the fellow's shoes must be resisting exactly that amount of force.

Of course, this intuition is wrong, wrong, wrong. Newton's second law is the tool that tells you how hard the rod or the fellow's shoes will be pushing on the next thing.

jbriggs444 said:
The confusion that I see in this thread is a common one. And apparently cleared up now.

The mistaken intuition is that forces are "transitive". For instance, if you push on a rod with a force of 100 N then intuition says that the rod must push on the next thing with an equal force of 100 N.

Similarly, if gravity is pulling backward on a fellow with a force of <whatever> then intuition says that the force of static friction on the fellow's shoes must be resisting exactly that amount of force.

Of course, this intuition is wrong, wrong, wrong. Newton's second law is the tool that tells you how hard the rod or the fellow's shoes will be pushing on the next thing.
Yes, I get it. Thanks to you and @erobz for the explanation

What are the best beaches in California?

The best beaches in California are subjective and can vary depending on personal preferences. However, some popular choices include Santa Monica Beach, Coronado Beach, Laguna Beach, and Huntington Beach.

What makes a beach considered one of the best in California?

The best beaches in California often have a combination of factors such as beautiful scenery, clean water, soft sand, and a variety of activities available such as swimming, surfing, and sunbathing.

Are there any hidden gems among the best beaches in California?

Yes, there are many hidden gems among the best beaches in California. Some lesser-known but equally stunning beaches include Point Dume State Beach, Pfeiffer Beach, and Dillon Beach.

Are all of the best beaches in California suitable for families?

While many of the best beaches in California are family-friendly, some may have strong currents or steep drop-offs that may not be suitable for young children. It is important to research the beach beforehand and always supervise children while at the beach.

What is the best time of year to visit the beaches in California?

The best time of year to visit the beaches in California is during the summer months when the weather is warm and the water is comfortable for swimming. However, some beaches may be more crowded during this time, so visiting during the shoulder seasons of spring or fall may be more ideal for some visitors.