A hypothetical isotropic antenna

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of electric and magnetic fields at varying distances from an antenna source and their relationship to power density and radiating power. It is noted that at greater distances, the power density decreases due to the spreading of surface area, but the radiating power remains constant due to conservation of energy. The conversation also mentions the inclusion of near field terms and their impact on the calculation of power.
Sze Wen
Homework Statement
(1)A hypothetical isotropic antenna is radiating in free-space. At a distance of 100m from the antenna, the total electric field in the theta direction is measured to be 5V/m. Find the distance 150m for
(a) Power density
(b) Power radiation
Relevant Equations
Wrad = 0.5(Ex H*)
Prad = close integral of Wrad dS
At 100m:
(a) 0.03315 W/m
(b)4166 W

Since E is inversely proportional to 1/r^2, then E at 150m is 2.22 V/m.
(a) 2.22/377= 0.00654 W/m
(b) 4*pi*r^2*Wrad= 1665 W

Is this reasoning correct?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I find it hard to comment on your work, however i believe there is one mistake in your work:

It is a well known fact that in the radiation zone (far-field zone) the fields are proportional to ##\frac{1}{r}## (NOT ##\frac{1}{r^2}##) so you have to correct yourself a bit, I think the E-field at 150m is 3.33V/m.

Likes Sze Wen
Since E is inversely proportional to 1/r, then E at 150m is 3.33 V/m.
H = E/377 = 3.33/377 = 0.00883 Am^(-1)

(a) Wrad = 0.5(ExH*) = 0.5*(3.33*2)/377= 0.0147 W/m
(b) Prad =4*pi*r^2*Wrad= 4156 W

Should I assume that the E will stilll be 50V/m at 150m?

Likes Delta2
Sze Wen said:
Since E is inversely proportional to 1/r, then E at 150m is 3.33 V/m.
H = E/377 = 3.33/377 = 0.00883 Am^(-1)

(a) Wrad = 0.5(ExH*) = 0.5*(3.33*2)/377= 0.0147 W/m
(b) Prad =4*pi*r^2*Wrad= 4156 W
I believe ##P_{rad}## should be the same in 100 and 150m and this is due to conservation of energy.
Should I assume that the E will stilll be 50V/m at 150m?
No.

Likes Sze Wen
Delta2 said:
I believe ##P_{rad}## should be the same in 100 and 150m and this is due to conservation of energy.
Wrad = 0.5(ExH*) = 0.5*(3.33*3.33)/377= 0.0147 W/m
Thanks. I recalculated it. I got 4167 W as expected. Thanks for the correction.
No.

So I can claim that as distance increases, the Wrad must be decreasing. This is because the power density of the antenna will keep on decreasing with the spread of surface area? The surface area is spreading which causes the power that it have to spread out evenly.

The Prad should be constant as it is coming from the antenna source itself?

If the distance of the question is much smaller like 4m. Is it solvable with far field distance?

Likes Delta2
Sze Wen said:
So I can claim that as distance increases, the Wrad must be decreasing. This is because the power density of the antenna will keep on decreasing with the spread of surface area? The surface area is spreading which causes the power that it have to spread out evenly.
Yes the power density decreases as the distance increases because we have the same power the ##P_{rad}## power that spreads over a larger surface (a spherical surface of increasing radius). The product of power density x surface remains constant.
The Prad should be constant as it is coming from the antenna source itself?
Yes and due to conservation of energy it cannot be reduced or increased as the power radiates through space.
If the distance of the question is much smaller like 4m. Is it solvable with far field distance?
You can do the calculations at a distance of 4m and you will still get the result that ##P_{rad}## will be the same but ##W_{rad}## will be greater.

But in a distance of 4m and in real world applications we are in the near field of the antenna, and there are near field terms that are proportional to 1/r^2 and 1/r^3 for which the problem doesn't give us any data.

Likes Sze Wen
I
Delta2 said:
But in a distance of 4m and in real world applications we are in the near field of the antenna,
Nothing magic about 4m.
The near field is a fuction principally of wavelength and secondarily to antenna characteristics.

Likes Sze Wen
rude man said:
I

Nothing magic about 4m.
The near field is a fuction principally of wavelength and secondarily to antenna characteristics.
Fine, it is just that if we include the near field terms, the fields are no longer mutually orthogonal, the calculation of the poynting vector and of radiating power is not so easy task, though it would still hold that the radiating power is independent of distance.

Likes Sze Wen
Delta2 said:
Fine, it is just that if we include the near field terms, the fields are no longer mutually orthogonal, the calculation of the poynting vector and of radiating power is not so easy task, though it would still hold that the radiating power is independent of distance.
Yes. But over the given distances the assumption is pretty obvious that far-field regions are assumed.

Likes Delta2

1. What is an isotropic antenna?

An isotropic antenna is a theoretical antenna that radiates electromagnetic waves uniformly in all directions. It is used as a reference antenna for comparing the performance of other antennas.

2. How does an isotropic antenna work?

An isotropic antenna works by converting electrical energy into electromagnetic waves, which are then radiated equally in all directions. It does not require any physical structure or directional elements to achieve this radiation pattern.

3. What are the advantages of using an isotropic antenna?

The main advantage of using an isotropic antenna is that it provides a standard reference for measuring the performance of other antennas. It also simplifies the calculation of antenna gain and radiation patterns.

4. Are isotropic antennas used in practical applications?

No, isotropic antennas are not used in practical applications because they are purely theoretical and cannot be physically constructed. However, they serve as a useful theoretical concept for understanding and comparing the performance of real-world antennas.

5. Can an isotropic antenna be used for communication purposes?

No, an isotropic antenna cannot be used for communication purposes as it does not have any directional properties. It radiates equally in all directions, making it unsuitable for transmitting or receiving signals in a specific direction.