A- in Quantum 1 for GRAD school application.

In summary, the person is concerned about getting an A- in the quantum I class and how it will affect their chances of getting into a PHD program. However, the other person reassures them that it's not a big deal and that their overall GPA and other factors such as research experience and strong recommendations will also be considered. They also mention that it's difficult to predict how the admissions committee will view the A- and that the conversation may come across as bragging rather than seeking advice.
xdrgnh
So I took quantum I using Griffith's and I only got an A- 3.7 out of 4. Will that look bad on my grad school application considering I'm competing with people who got A in quantum. I plan on getting into a PHD program and getting a Stipend. My overall GPA is like a 3.78.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah, you should probably give up on life. Getting a A- is a terrible disaster!

\end sarcasm

It's not a big deal.

Seriously? I think you'll be okay :rolleyes:

I know it sounds silly but it's my first non A in a core required physics class.

I got an A+ in general relativity, my chances of grad school are ruined because I didn't get an A++ so I sympathize with you.

Likes 2 people
Even if it were a big deal (which it is not), there really is no point in worrying. You cannot change it.

I'd also advise you, that PhysicsGRE's profiles are often over-inflated since people with lower stats that are not applying to T1 schools are less likely to post.

You're certain fine, especially if you have research experience, a strong SOP, and recommendations.

First, the answer is "it's worse than an A and better than a B, and there is no way to read the minds of the committee - but we're talking about only 3% of the classes that you will have taken."

Second, this comes across less as asking for advice and more as bragging.

WannabeNewton said:
I got an A+ in general relativity, my chances of grad school are ruined because I didn't get an A++ so I sympathize with you.

At least neither of you got an A--.

Related to A- in Quantum 1 for GRAD school application.

1. What is "A- in Quantum 1" and why is it important for a graduate school application?

"A- in Quantum 1" refers to receiving an A- grade in a course on Quantum Physics during undergraduate studies. Quantum Physics is a fundamental subject in the field of physics and is often required for graduate school programs in physics or related fields. A high grade in this course demonstrates a strong understanding of this complex subject and can make a candidate more competitive for graduate school admissions.

2. How does receiving an A- in Quantum 1 compare to other grades in the admissions process?

While a high grade in Quantum 1 is important, it is not the only factor considered in the graduate school admissions process. Admissions committees also look at a candidate's overall GPA, letters of recommendation, research experience, and other relevant coursework. However, an A- in Quantum 1 can certainly strengthen a candidate's application and demonstrate their aptitude for complex physics concepts.

3. Is it necessary to receive an A- in Quantum 1 for all graduate school applications in the field of physics?

No, it is not necessary to receive an A- in Quantum 1 for all graduate school applications in physics. Some programs may have different requirements or may place more emphasis on other factors such as research experience or letters of recommendation. It is important to research the specific requirements and preferences of each program when applying.

4. Can a lower grade in Quantum 1 be offset by strong performance in other physics courses?

Yes, a lower grade in Quantum 1 can be offset by strong performance in other physics courses. Admissions committees consider a candidate's overall academic performance and may weigh certain courses more heavily than others. If a candidate has a lower grade in Quantum 1 but excels in other physics courses, it can still demonstrate their aptitude and potential for success in a graduate program.

5. Is there any way to improve my chances of being accepted to graduate school with an A- in Quantum 1?

Yes, there are several ways to improve your chances of being accepted to graduate school with an A- in Quantum 1. You can focus on excelling in other relevant coursework, gaining research experience, and obtaining strong letters of recommendation. Additionally, you can explain any extenuating circumstances that may have affected your grade in Quantum 1 in your personal statement or during an interview. It is also important to apply to a range of programs and to showcase your strengths and qualifications in all aspects of your application.