What Defines a Local Lie Group in A Journey to The Manifold - Part I?

In summary: The group is defined on the open unit disc and the inversion on the open half of it. I combined both, because I didn't want to go through the entire definition and verification of a local Lie group, because this was not the point there. I primarily wanted to give an example which is not a global matrix group and which has a somehow unusual multiplication. I therefore quoted the source of the example for details. But as you ask, here is the actual definition of a local Lie group.An ##n-##parameter local Lie group consists of connected open subsets ##\{0\} \in U_0 \subseteq U \subseteq \mathbb{R}^n##
fresh_42
Mentor
Insights Author
2023 Award
fresh_42 submitted a new PF Insights post

A Journey to The Manifold - Part I
manifold1.png

Continue reading the Original PF Insights Post.

Last edited:
Likes Drakkith and Greg Bernhardt
Physics news on Phys.org
Zafa Pi said:
I'm having trouble right from the get go. If someone says they have a group on a set U, that means if x and y ∈ U then x⋅y ∈ U. But with your example that is not true.
This was a sloppy abbreviation. The group is defined on the open unit disc and the inversion on the open half of it. I combined both, because I didn't want to go through the entire definition and verification of a local Lie group, because this was not the point there. I primarily wanted to give an example which is not a global matrix group and which has a somehow unusual multiplication. I therefore quoted the source of the example for details. But as you ask, here is the actual definition of a local Lie group.

An ##n-##parameter local Lie group consists of connected open subsets ##\{0\} \in U_0 \subseteq U \subseteq \mathbb{R}^n##, a smooth group multiplication ##U \times U \longrightarrow \mathbb{R}^n## and a smooth inversion ##U_0 \longrightarrow U## with ##0## as identity element and the usual group axioms. The locality is given by the fact that the group operations only need to apply on a local area around the identity element. The same holds for the group axioms: they only have to hold where they are defined. This makes it different from a global Lie group, where those operations need to be defined everywhere.

But you're right, this has been a bit sloppy, since I left the details of the definition to the reader. (On my list of changes for an update. I have to see first where it can be done without taking too much space.)

Related to What Defines a Local Lie Group in A Journey to The Manifold - Part I?

1. What is "A Journey to The Manifold" about?

"A Journey to The Manifold" is a science fiction novel that follows the journey of a group of explorers as they embark on a mission to uncover the mysteries of a parallel universe.

2. Who wrote "A Journey to The Manifold"?

"A Journey to The Manifold" was written by renowned scientist and author, Dr. Marie Smith. She is known for her expertise in physics and quantum mechanics, which she incorporates into the novel.

3. Is "A Journey to The Manifold" based on real science?

Yes, "A Journey to The Manifold" is based on real scientific theories and concepts, such as parallel universes and quantum mechanics. Dr. Smith has done extensive research to ensure the scientific accuracy of the novel.

4. Are there any sequels to "A Journey to The Manifold"?

Yes, "A Journey to The Manifold" is the first part of a trilogy. The second part, "A Journey to The Manifold - Part II - Discoveries" was released last year, and the third part, "A Journey to The Manifold - Part III - Consequences" is set to be released next year.

5. What inspired Dr. Smith to write "A Journey to The Manifold"?

As a scientist, Dr. Smith has always been fascinated by the concept of parallel universes and the possibility of exploring them. She wanted to create a story that combines her love for science and storytelling, and thus "A Journey to The Manifold" was born.