A Journey Into the Cosmos - The Friedmann Equation - Comments

In summary: What do you think of their statement on page 2It's true if there is a nonzero cosmological constant. Most introductory treatments of the Friedmann equations don't consider this case. If the cosmological constant is zero, then a closed universe will always recollapse and a flat or open one will always expand forever; that's why you often see statements along those lines in introductory treatments.
Arman777
Insights Author
Gold Member
Greg Bernhardt submitted a new PF Insights post

A Journey Into the Cosmos - The Friedmann Equation
cosmosintro.png

Continue reading the Original PF Insights Post.

Attachments

• cosmosintro.png
    cosmosintro.png
    17.8 KB · Views: 1,093
Likes laymanB, Khashishi, Imager and 1 other person
Space news on Phys.org
Great start @Arman777. This is part of our student series. If anyone has suggestions or feedback for him he would appreciate it!

Likes Arman777
Very nice!

Drakkith said:
Very nice!
Thanks a lot :)

Very interesting post, one that even someone with an art major's understanding of physics can follow along. Like me, heh.

Inre to figure 8 and the crunch; years ago I came across a paper about solving the Friedmann equations by computer and noticed some surprising results. Surprising to me anyway. What do you think of their statement on page 2 --Thus a closed universe, by definition, is one with positive curvature K_0. Closure by itself does not tell us whether or not the universe will recollapse. In Sect. III we will show that in relativistic cosmology some open models recollapse and some closed ones do not."

Likes Arman777
chasrob said:
What do you think of their statement on page 2

It's true if there is a nonzero cosmological constant. Most introductory treatments of the Friedmann equations don't consider this case. If the cosmological constant is zero, then a closed universe will always recollapse and a flat or open one will always expand forever; that's why you often see statements along those lines in introductory treatments.

Likes Arman777 and chasrob
chasrob said:
Very interesting post, one that even someone with an art major's understanding of physics can follow along. Like me, heh.[/I]"

Thanks for your review, that was my purpose of writing this article.

chasrob said:
Inre to figure 8 and the crunch; years ago I came across a paper about solving the Friedmann equations by computer and noticed some surprising results. Surprising to me anyway. What do you think of their statement on page 2 --Thus a closed universe, by definition, is one with positive curvature K_0. Closure by itself does not tell us whether or not the universe will recollapse. In Sect. III we will show that in relativistic cosmology some open models recollapse and some closed ones do not."

As PeterDonis said, my case is for ##Λ=0##. But in the next chapters, I' ll introduce the ##Λ## and solve some models when ##Λ≠0##.

Likes chasrob

1. What is the Friedmann Equation and why is it important in cosmology?

The Friedmann Equation is a fundamental equation in cosmology that describes the evolution of the universe. It is important because it helps us understand the dynamics of the universe by relating its expansion rate to the distribution of matter and energy.

2. How was the Friedmann Equation derived?

The Friedmann Equation was derived by the Russian mathematician Alexander Friedmann in the early 1920s. He used Einstein's theory of general relativity to describe the curvature of space and time in the universe.

3. Can the Friedmann Equation be used to predict the fate of the universe?

Yes, the Friedmann Equation can be used to predict the fate of the universe. By plugging in different values for the density of matter and energy, it can tell us whether the universe will continue to expand forever, eventually stop expanding and collapse, or reach a state of equilibrium.

4. Does the Friedmann Equation take into account dark matter and dark energy?

Yes, the Friedmann Equation takes into account dark matter and dark energy. These are included as components in the equation that contribute to the overall energy density of the universe.

5. How has the Friedmann Equation been tested and verified?

The Friedmann Equation has been tested and verified through observations of the universe, such as the cosmic microwave background radiation and the distribution of galaxies. It has also been used to make accurate predictions about the age and expansion rate of the universe.