A Level Physics Help: Questions Answered & Op Amp Study Guide

In summary, the conversation covers various questions related to A Level Physics, including the use of Kelvin and Celsius scales, the internal energy of matter at zero Kelvin, the variation of specific heat capacity between materials, the relationship between specific heat capacity and density, the effect of magnetic fields on moving charge particles, the features of Simple Harmonic Motion, and a request for resources on operational amplifiers. The conversation also reveals some misunderstandings and clarifications about these topics.
aashish2025
I am an A Level Physics students and I have tonnes of questions to ask. So, below are some of them. Hope you will answer them. Please answer the ones you have any idea about even if just a singe question. Hope I will get the answers!

• The only difference between Kelvin and Celsius is the y-intercept(Since T = θ + 273). Then, how simply using Kelvin instead of Celsius fix the problem of different types of thermometer disagreeing with each other even at the same temperature.(The reason my teacher gave for why do they disagree was, because the property whose change we measure does not vary linearly(and in different ways in different thermometers) with temperature but after determining the fixed points, we assume that they vary like that.) So, if the reason my teacher gave me is correct, what difference would the use of Celsius or Kelvin make on that?(Hope you got what I meant!)

• Will a matter have zero internal energy at zero Kelvin(let's assume that it can be attained)? My answer is no because internal energy is not only the energy due to the temperature(kinetic energy). Internal energy is the sum of the kinetic and potential energy. So, at zero Kelvin, though the kinetic energy is zero, potential energy isn't. So, the internal energy must not be zero! Am I correct?

• Why does specific heat capacity vary from one material to the other and why does it depend on the temperature?

• Dulong and Petit's law states that "all solids have nearly 25 Jmol-1Kmol-1 specific heat capacity." This implies that specific capacity depends on the number of atoms or molecules. But, number of atoms/molecules per unit volume is closely related to density. So, does that mean that specific capacity of a substance depends on the density of the substance? Further, the number of atoms/molecules depends on the mass as n = (M/Mr). That implies a relation between specific heat capacity and mass but there is none. Please explain.

• Why do moving charge particles get affected by magnetic filed? Because they themselves have a magnetic field, right? Then, how does a moving charge generate magnetic field?

• Any body follows Simple Harmonic Motion if a [itex]\alpha[/itex] -x. Well, in a recent exam, we had a question in which there was a sinusoidal graph given and the question that was asked underneath was something like, "What feature of the above graph tells you that the object is following Simple Harmonic Motion?" I wrote "sinusoidal nature of the graph" and scored zero. My teacher reported that the answer is, "constant time period" But, I believe that, Simple Harmonic Motion implies constant time period but the converse is not always true. From the equilibrium position, I can have a body move super-fast to a certain point(before the extreme end), then stop for a while and then slowly move to the extreme end and then return back to the equilibrium in another unpredictable way. We can have all that and still have a constant time period but that won't be a simple harmonic motion, will it? And, shouldn't "sinusoidal nature of the graph" be the correct answer because the solution of the differential equation d2x/dt2 = -kx will be a sine function(or cosine)?

And, the last but not the least, can someone give me a good link to study operational amplifier. All the books I have start with too technical touch and I want someone gentle and something like written for a layman. Can I find something like that? It would be a great relief if I did.

Hope you understood my questions and hope someone out there will help! And, sorry for my not so good English!

Physics news on Phys.org
1- I don't get your question. To me if two termometers disagree with each other, one of them must be broken, I've never heard of this problem.

2- I'm pretty sure that even at 0 K kinetic energy will not be zero, translational KE will. Potential energy won't be 0 either. So the answer is no.

3- Get back to you on that one.

4- Why do you say the heat capacity of a solid depends on the number of atoms or molecules? One kilo of iron will have the same heat capacity as 500g of iron. The fact that you have a "per mol" in the units means that it will take 25 joules to increase the temp of 1 mole of the solid by 1 K.

5- If a magnetic field is present, the Lorentz force will act on a moving charged particle. If the particle has 0 velocity, then this force will be 0 (assuming no electric field). I can't really give a better explanation than this, I think this is pretty much axiomatic, it's like asking why things get accelerated when a force acts on them. The same goes for how a moving charge generates a magnetic field (Maxwell's laws). Maybe someone else can help out.

6- Why do you say that the situation you described has constant time period? I don't think that's true at all. How would even define a time period for that kind of motion?

Last edited:
Temperature scales can be defined using any physical property that varies with temperature (resistance, length of liqid in a tube etc) but because different physical properties vary with temperature in different ways 2 defined temp scales may not agree, except at the fixed points.
The Kinetic theory of gases reveals that temperature (absolute temperature) is a direct measure of the average kinetic energy of molecules and this means that PRESSURE and VOLUME of an IDEAL gas provide an excellent physical property to define a temperature scale.
Most gases behave like an ideal gas and therefore measurement of pressure or volume can be used to define this temperature scale.
The main problem is that 'gas thermometers' are bulky and not convenient for practical use but they can be used to check or CALIBRATE thermometers using other physical properties.
Be sure you know the difference between DEFINING a temperature scale and CALIBRATING a thermometer scale.
hope this helps in a tricky topic

Will a matter have zero internal energy at zero Kelvin(let's assume that it can be attained)? My answer is no because internal energy is not only the energy due to the temperature(kinetic energy). Internal energy is the sum of the kinetic and potential energy. So, at zero Kelvin, though the kinetic energy is zero, potential energy isn't. So, the internal energy must not be zero! Am I correct?

I'm not sure whether you're correct or not, but I should point out that zero Kelvin cannot be attained even in principle (see Third Law of Thermodynamics). In quantum mechanics the lowest energy states available to a particle are non-zero, thus we cannot have zero Kelvin, which would indicate zero kinetic energy for the particle.

Why do moving charge particles get affected by magnetic filed? Because they themselves have a magnetic field, right? Then, how does a moving charge generate magnetic field?

Moving charged particles experience a force from a magnetic field because they are charged, not because they themselves generate a magnetic field. Have you come across the Lorentz force law? It states:

[itex]\textbf{F}=q\textbf{E}+q(\textbf{v}\times\textbf{B})[/itex]

...where E& B are electric and magnetic fields respectively, and v is the velocity of a particle with charge q. You can see that there is no force due to a magnetic field if the particle is stationary.

Thank you for your questions! As a fellow scientist, I am happy to help you with your inquiries.

Firstly, using Kelvin instead of Celsius does not necessarily fix the problem of different types of thermometers disagreeing with each other. This is because the relationship between temperature and the property being measured (such as volume or pressure) may not be linear, as your teacher mentioned. However, using Kelvin does provide a more accurate and standardized scale for measuring temperature, as it is based on absolute zero. This allows for more precise and consistent measurements across different thermometers.

You are correct in stating that a matter will not have zero internal energy at zero Kelvin, as internal energy includes both kinetic and potential energy. At absolute zero, the kinetic energy may be zero, but there may still be potential energy due to the arrangement of atoms or molecules in the substance. Therefore, the internal energy will not be zero.

Specific heat capacity varies from one material to another because different materials have different structures and compositions, which affect how they interact with heat. For example, materials with stronger bonds between molecules will have a higher specific heat capacity, as more energy is required to break those bonds. The dependence on temperature is due to the fact that different materials may have different temperature-dependent properties, such as changes in molecular structure or phase transitions, that affect their ability to absorb heat.

You are correct in stating that specific heat capacity is related to the density of a substance, as it is directly proportional to the number of atoms or molecules per unit volume. However, this does not necessarily mean that specific heat capacity is directly proportional to the mass of a substance. This is because the mass of a substance also depends on its density, as well as its volume. Therefore, specific heat capacity cannot be solely dependent on mass.

Moving charge particles are affected by a magnetic field because they have a property called magnetic moment, which is a measure of how much they interact with a magnetic field. This magnetic moment can be thought of as a tiny bar magnet within the particle, which causes it to experience a force when placed in a magnetic field. This is also why a moving charge generates a magnetic field - the motion of the charge creates a magnetic moment, which in turn generates a magnetic field.

In regards to the question about Simple Harmonic Motion, your answer of "sinusoidal nature of the graph" is correct. While constant time period is a characteristic of Simple Harmonic Motion, it is not the only defining feature. As

1. What is the purpose of an operational amplifier (op amp)?

An operational amplifier, or op amp, is a type of electronic component that amplifies the voltage difference between its input terminals. It is commonly used in circuit design to perform mathematical operations, such as addition, subtraction, and integration. Its high gain and low input impedance make it an ideal building block for analog circuits.

2. How does an op amp work?

An op amp consists of a differential amplifier, which amplifies the voltage difference between its two inputs, and a gain stage, which amplifies the output of the differential amplifier. The output is then fed back to the negative input of the differential amplifier, creating a closed loop. This allows the op amp to have a very high gain and precise output.

3. What are the different configurations of op amps?

There are three common configurations of op amps: inverting, non-inverting, and differential. In the inverting configuration, the input is connected to the negative terminal and the output is fed back to the negative terminal through a feedback resistor. In the non-inverting configuration, the input is connected to the positive terminal and the output is fed back to the negative terminal through a feedback resistor. In the differential configuration, two inputs are used and the output is the difference between the two inputs.

4. How do I choose the right op amp for my circuit?

The right op amp for your circuit depends on a variety of factors, including the required output voltage, input voltage range, and frequency response. It is important to carefully consider these specifications and choose an op amp that meets your circuit's requirements. Additionally, different op amps may have different characteristics, such as noise level and slew rate, which can also impact your circuit's performance.

5. What are some common applications of op amps?

Op amps have a wide range of applications in electronics, including signal conditioning, filtering, and signal amplification. They are commonly used in audio amplifiers, instrumentation amplifiers, and active filters. They can also be used in feedback control systems, such as in motor control and audio equalization circuits. Additionally, op amps are used in many everyday devices, such as smartphones, computers, and medical equipment.